Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all
I'm currently working in the United States, but may need to move to Taiwan soon. I got my Model 3 early last year, and want to see if anyone here has any experience transporting their Tesla (specifically Model 3, but S and X works too) to Taiwan or anywhere in Asia with a similar voltage outlet.
Thanks!

Importing a standard ICE car to Taiwan is a major hassle. If there is no special consideration for ZEV, I would not bother. I have a former colleague who took a 3 year old Benz to Taiwan when he moved back and after it was all said and done he said he should never have done it. He should have sold the car in California and bought a used car in Taiwan. Of course, with the Model 3 not available in Taiwan yet, there is some motivation there. However, once you pay the FRT (or whatever they call the new car tax there) you will want to sell it there because you've already increased the value by paying that huge tax.

I think as a foreign national you are allowed to import one vehicle one time, once per passport, as I recall, without a huge import tax. At least it used to be that way. If so, then it would make sense to do it because then you could sell it on the used market when you leave and maybe not lose too much.