Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US model S heading to UK need Adapter help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the post says I will be relocating to the UK for work. Only just got the car so selling is not an option and the company will move it for free. What I'm looking for is a US Tesla charge port to EU port adapter. Any help would be appreciated

Hi, @DustinDep, please don't do that.

On US Model S, you have a Tesla proprietary charge port, with single phase onboard charger. US CHAdeMO adapter connects CHAdeMO to the Tesla proprietary port. UMC as well.

On European Model S. you have a Mennekes type 2 port, with three phase onboard charger.

So if you bring US Model S to UK, these things will happen.
- You can't supercharge at any of supercharger stations. No adapters.
- When you charge, you'll need to find single phase AC power that allows you to connect YOUR HPWC and/or UMC. European HPWC and UMC do NOT connect to US Model S. No adapters.

Better to sell your car in the US, and buy new/used in UK.

Reactions: J1mbo
There is no such thing.

When Tesla first launched in the UK, they were using a UMC-type device with a commando plug.

Obviously you won't be able to supercharge, and finding public commando outlets will be challenging. None of the Internet services will work without tethering the car to your phone.

Will be a nightmare unless you charge at home and only plan short trips within range.

Maybe you can talk to Tesla about trading the US car in against a UK spec car?

I second what others have written. You may even find Tesla won't support it here.

The only thing that would work for charging in addition to the charging suggestions above is if you have the Tesla J1772 adapter, you would be able to get a "Type 1 to Type 2" cable and plug into AC public charging stations, but you will be limited to 32 A only (Type 1 is the local name for J1772, Type 2 is the outlet used on the public stations).

also, while you are allowed to drive your car under american number plate; once you will get a EU one the car will have to conform with EU standards. So you will need to have i.e. your brake and lightcolours changed (they use different colours in the US) and I think US Teslas also dont have foglights?

Driving a LHD in the UK is not an issue. Ive been doing it for years. Noone cares about nonadjusted headlights. Most UK drivers have terribly adjusted headlights anyways. I don't even think the MOT checks that.

The biggest issue is the charging infrastructure though and likely no 4g/3g roaming from Tesla, as stated above.