TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

US National Parks System Charging Infrastructure

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by ohmman, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

A thread was started over on the TM forums regarding charging at the NPS. The infrastructure at our parks is inadequate, at best. I have taken the time to follow up with the NPS directly about this and their response was that there are absolutely no funds to go around to support an endeavor like this.

My thought is that the funding outlay from the NPS would be minimal, if at all, assuming we could get one of the networks to foot the bill. My guess is that ChargePoint or Aerovironment would jump at the opportunity to get a head start monopoly into the NPS. Any thoughts on this? Recommendations for other/better networks?

I could contact Tesla as well if anyone thought it would matter. I can't imagine them wanting to invest in free supercharging at the NPS anyway - at least not at this point. Maybe eventually it would make for a nice marketing bullet point, and even campaign. MS/MX/MEs visiting the NPS using only superchargers.

I promised the representative that I'd follow up with more data - any help I can get here is appreciated.

2. Owner

Owner Active Member

How about a crowd funding effort?

3. CalDreamin

CalDreamin Member

I'd contribute toward the purchase of Clipper Creek CS-100 J-1772 stations for Yosemite. Sun Country Highway has a sponsorship program for donors to pay for the CS-100. SCH has done projects in the US.

4. hikerockies

hikerockies Member

Xanterra http://www.xanterra.com operates lodges, restaurants and stores in most of the national parks and are member of WWF's climate savers program. How about approaching them as well? They might be more open and have financial means to help make this happen.

5. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

now that you've solved the costs of the hardware, where will the funding come from to supply the electricity? how about maintenance?

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I am at the Grand Canyon Village right now in my Model S. Xanterra has been very supportive here. I am staying at one of their rim side lodges, but they also run the Trailer Village here. They offer free use of the 14-50, 50-Amp receptacles at Trailer Village. I am not sure what will happen in the busy summer months when Trailer VIllage is more crowded, but right now, the nice lady at check in took my info and assigned me a spot. I asked if it was OK to leave the car there until tomorrow morning, and that was fine with her. My plan is to use the App to do the last 10% charge in the morning and pre-heat the cabin before leaving. See Colorado to California and Back Again Using Superchargers and Destination Charging

Because these are typically destination charging locations, a 50-Amp, 14-50 with an overnight charge is all that's needed.

Here is a picture of my MS in Trailer Village at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon this morning:

Grand Canyon Charging-sm.jpg

7. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

I was also going to mention Trailer Village in Grand Canyon. We charged there just over 3 weeks ago and Xantera was very supportive. I added Trailer Village to PlugShare after my visit...

8. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I will speak with Xanterra. This is an excellent idea.

Today I had my hands full but did have time to speak with ChargePoint. They have no interest in entering into a revenue sharing relationship with any size institution (at least not in exchange for hardware). Their business model is pretty clean and I don't blame them for wanting to stick to it. Prior to my conversation, I was unclear on how they "sponsored" the stations, but I'm learning plenty on the way.

Thanks for the responses. I really do think this is worth spending some of my time to chase down. It's a natural fit - road tripping and National Parks go hand in hand.

9. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Others have commented on trying to make progress with Yosemite's management company with no progress to date.