TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

US Price Increase Coming: April 2016

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by BEEZR, Mar 21, 2016.

1. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

I was in our local showroom today and one of the salespeople asked if I had heard about the upcoming price increase on Model S... She said they've been told it's coming in April, though she did not know exactly when. She said there has already been a price increase in Europe and Asia... She mentioned they're trying to sell through the cars by the end of the quarter. Anyone else hear details about this? Seems counter-intuitive, perhaps, to introduce a new Model 3 and then soon after raise the price on your flagship product. Taken together I would expect those actions to slow sales of new Model S cars... I asked by what percentage the price increased in Europe and Asia, but she didn't know.

2. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Yep. Price increase and some other changes...

3. ibdguru23

ibdguru23 Member

I heard the same thing when I went to the Buena Park, CA Tesla store. Our Owner Advisor told us the price increase for the Model S will happen April also. There must be some extra features being added and/or some refresh coming.

4. marty2112

marty2112 Member

Yes. We will see changes via design studio before tax day....

5. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

So new price for new features vs. just a price hike on existing setup...?

6. marty2112

marty2112 Member

Former.....

• Like x 1
  7. Chaz

Chaz Big Kahuna

I heard the same at my dealer, which led me to putting my deposit down, sooner than I was planning, to lock in my price.

8. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

those 'locking in' the current price will regret locking in old technology... yes, today's car is old in April

9. strider

strider Active Member

Yep. Many are betting that more will be revealed on 3/31 than just Model 3. Model S v2.0 most likely with additional AP hardware and maybe the 100kWh battery packs and a price increase to boot.

10. strider

strider Active Member

Then again they may be like some of the lucky folks who received AP hardware v1 without specifically ordering it. An order placed today may get the new components or at least the option to upgrade to it.

• Like x 1
  11. brkaus

brkaus Member

Or the opportunity to complain about poor customer service for not getting something free.

• Funny x 3
  12. zambono

zambono Member

Thats a long bet, well the AP part. I am waiting for some minor changes which we are already seeing such as wheels, console, etc, and the 100 leak

13. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Once again, Tesla does not have dealers! It has stores. In states where it can't sell direct it has galleries. You don't buy an Apple phone at an "Apple dealership"' and you don't buy a Tesla car at a "Tesla dealership". That's one of the best things about Tesla, no dealers.

• Like x 2
  14. Chaz

Chaz Big Kahuna

My apologies. I'm new to the EV culture (and Tesla's) and I expect there will be some adjustment on my part to the new vernacular, but I assume everyone understood the point I was making.

• Like x 2
  15. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

We did and don't worry. Some folks just get super irritated hearing dealer. Don't worry about it!

• Like x 2
  16. Chaz

Chaz Big Kahuna

#16 Chaz, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    I cannot speak for everyone, but I am quite happy with the current Model S, which is why I am "locking in" my price. To quote my owner advisor, "if you want to wait for the most advanced, up-to-date Model S, you'll never buy one." He also mentioned that if something new comes out (before delivery) that I absolutely cannot live without, I can put in a change order, but it'll cost me $500 to do so.

Either way, I'm just glad I finally pulled the trigger on such an awesome vehicle!

• Like x 3
  17. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

So I gather the consensus opinion is that the price increase will apply to new orders/production and not current inventory, unless those cars are retrofitted with new hardware, perhaps...

18. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

That's because the auto dealer cartel spends millions of dollars per year in campaign contributions, lobbying, and PR to maintain the dealer model as the only legal way to buy a new car, to the detriment of Tesla and auto buyers. Tesla owners are critical for educating the public on the advantage of having the choice of direct sales. If we don't get the terminology right, no one will.

19. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I doubt we will see Autopilot 2.0 next month.
    More likely additional options for new center console, wheels, larger battery ... perhaps even LED headlights.

20. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

#20 Canuck, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    As always, the truth likes somewhere in the middle between never buying one, and buying one then the next one that rolls off the line has something as game changing as autopilot so perhaphs you should have waited a bit. Now with me, it wasn't the next one off the line, but it was a few months later and it did hurt. Before anyone jumps on me, I know that I got exactly what I paid for and I'm really happy with my car, and I was one of the people supporting Tesla in those long threads bashing them after AP came out for making changes without model year, notice, compensation, etc. I had a great first spring and summer with my car that I will never get back and I'm not getting any younger. But having a car instantly depreciate, and quite significantly, when you don't have autopilot, does hurt (plus I want autopilot!). While I never complained about it, I did acknowledge the hurt of others, and especially of those who barely missed it. If people can't see that hurt, they have no heart. I can see it coming again, and very soon it seems. Many of those who get one off the line before the changes will be upset, and thus while "if you want to wait for the most advanced, up-to-date Model S, you'll never buy one" has some truth, waiting a few weeks to buy one could eliminate a lot, or all, of potential hurt. Or maybe not. Some people buy and never look back. That's not me though. I look back, and...

♫Regrets, I've had a few;
    But then again, too few to mention.♬

In any event, this might be the change I was looking for before upgrading because I don't want to get burned twice. I hope it's autopilot 2.0, a new front end to match the X, and 100 kWh battery.

• Like x 7