Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Price Increase Coming: April 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you confirm your order and then make a change after there is a price increase, do you pay the price increase in addition to the $500 change fee?
I've never done it, but my understanding (too much TMC reading...) is that you have to ask Tesla explicitly -- because sometimes they waive it -- but generally you pay the new pricing + the $500 change fee.

As always, the truth likes somewhere in the middle between never buying one, and buying one then the next one that rolls off the line has something as game changing as autopilot so perhaphs you should have waited a bit. Now with me, it wasn't the next one off the line, but it was a few months later and it did hurt. Before anyone jumps on me, I know that I got exactly what I paid for and I'm really happy with my car, and I was one of the people supporting Tesla in those long threads bashing them after AP came out for making changes without model year, notice, compensation, etc. I had a great first spring and summer with my car that I will never get back and I'm not getting any younger. But having a car instantly depreciate, and quite significantly, when you don't have autopilot, does hurt (plus I want autopilot!). While I never complained about it, I did acknowledge the hurt of others, and especially of those who barely missed it. If people can't see that hurt, they have no heart. I can see it coming again, and very soon it seems. Many of those who get one off the line before the changes will be upset, and thus while "if you want to wait for the most advanced, up-to-date Model S, you'll never buy one" has some truth, waiting a few weeks to buy one could eliminate a lot, or all, of potential hurt. Or maybe not. Some people buy and never look back. That's not me though. I look back, and...

♫Regrets, I've had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.♬

In any event, this might be the change I was looking for before upgrading because I don't want to get burned twice. I hope it's autopilot 2.0, a new front end to match the X, and 100 kWh battery.
Well put, Canuck. I hope this update works out for you.

My apologies. I'm new to the EV culture (and Tesla's) and I expect there will be some adjustment on my part to the new vernacular, but I assume everyone understood the point I was making.

Yes we did get your point - and don't apologize. There are some really, really, really weird people on this site. A lot of high IQ, OCD, autism spectrum, very high strung uber nerds - you'll notice the atmosphere before long. This place is totally different from other car forums - and not always in a good way.

I hope it's autopilot 2.0, a new front end to match the X, and 100 kWh battery.
@Canuck, that's a pretty stout list. I'm doubtful of Autopilot 2.0 because they're going to have to avoid upsetting the first batch of Model X deliveries. I'm thinking something more specific to Model S, like the front end/nose. Reveal the Model 3, it has the nose - Model X has the nose - well look.. now the Model S does too. That's my completely unsubstantiated guess.

@Canuck, that's a pretty stout list. I'm doubtful of Autopilot 2.0 because they're going to have to avoid upsetting the first batch of Model X deliveries. I'm thinking something more specific to Model S, like the front end/nose. Reveal the Model 3, it has the nose - Model X has the nose - well look.. now the Model S does too. That's my completely unsubstantiated guess.
But a new nose doesn't justify a price increase. At least they'll have the larger battery packs too?

Tesla Model S US price increase reportedly coming in April after Model 3 unveiling

upload_2016-3-23_1-5-59.png

Following the persisting rumor that Tesla is planning a “facelift” or at least new options for the Model S starting this spring, we learn that the automaker could also increase the price of its flagship sedan in the US as soon as next month, right after the Model 3 unveiling set for March 31st.

We are hearing several reports of Tesla representatives reportedly warning prospective customers that the Model S will see a price increase by the end of April. Although we’ve been hearing this since earlier this year, now Tesla salespeople are reportedly using the information to help convince potential buyers to lock in the price of their Model S order by the end of the month, which also coincides with the end of the first quarter of 2016.

Of course, this information should be taken with a grain of salt since salespeople at Tesla are often kept in the dark about upcoming product announcements in order to minimize the risk for leaks, but in this case, at least the reports are consistent between Tesla retail locations. Tesla regularly end up making a push at the end of each quarter to meet delivery guidance (16,000 unit this quarter), which often results in a lot of deliveries being scheduled for the last few weeks or days.

We hear that the price increase could also be related to the recent standard additions in the Model S design configuration, including the new center console and the Slipstream wheels.The reports also come just after it was revealed that Tesla is working on a new higher-end Model S, the P100D, which could mean that the price increase will simply match a new top of the line version.

Although a light redesign is also a likely possibility. It’s standard in the industry after a model has been on the market for 4 or 5 years and the Model S will be 4 years old this summer. Some are expecting hoping for Tesla to introduce the Model X’s front-end in the Model S – see rendering above.

It wouldn’t be too surprising if Elon Musk had a Steve Jobs-like “one more thing” moment at the Model 3 unveiling on March 31st. The company would likely want to keep the focus on the Model 3, but the car is not expected to be available until late 2017, and although the Model X backlog should help the company, Tesla will still need to keep people interested in its flagship car. A new higher-end version and facelift could do the trick, or maybe a new Autopilot suite?

Last edited:
If you get lucky, changes will go live during the two weeks after you order and before you confirm. Then wouldn't you be able to either confirm at the original price or upgrade without the $500 fee?
I believe I only have a week after I drop my deposit to make any FREE changes/cancellation. So, if there are any changes released during the first week of April (I delayed my order appointment until the end of March), I can save on the $500 fee, but will be subject to any new price increases.

Regardless of what happens, I end up with a shiny new Tesla, so win-win in my mind. Plus I'm leasing, so unexpected depreciation is not a concern for me.