Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US S.3559 115th Congress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A politician bought by evil interests introduced a bill that goes way overboard in eliminating welfare for those who don't buy disgusting Internal Combustion Engine based vehicles.

Oil (used to fuel gas cars), coal (non-solar), airlines (not clean electric drive competing with Tesla), healthcare (business from unhealthy and dangerous ICE cars) all are top donors to this idiot; here's the list:

Sen. John A Barrasso - Wyoming

Here's the text of the bill:

Text - S.3559 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to terminate the credit for new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles and to provide for a Federal Highway user fee on alternative fuel vehicles.

My comments:
  • Nothing about CD? ABSURD!
  • Makes a new permanent unaccountable bureaucracy with the power of the gun! This will cost more than the repeal and TAKE AWAY OUR FREEDOMS!!!
  • Measures things in arcane “gas” or “diesel” use for which there is no gas or diesel use!
  • If they try to apply it to “Electric Vehicles”, which are the normal motive power, not an "alternative" motive power, does the act apply? I don’t think it does, because gas and diesel are the alternatives, and Electric is the normal way to power vehicles.
  • If for some reason they think that electric isn't mainstream but think instead that it is "alternative", then how do they propose to handle the regenerative breaking efficiencies of electric vehicles as it applies to gasoline and diesel vehicles?
  • Will their new super-expensive bureaucracy turn weight of vehicle into a way to target electric vehicle owners for higher taxes than the gasoline counterparts which actually use more gas?

Now, Republican Senator John Barrasso (Wyoming), along with Republican Senator Roberts (Kansas) and Enzi (Wyoming), have introduced yet another bill to kill the tax credit.

It’s the second time that Barrasso has been pushing an effort to kill the EV tax credit. “Oil and gas” is one of the top sectors to donate to Barrasso’s campaign, according to OpenSecrets. Chevron and Murray Energy are amongst Barrasso’s top donors.

In an opinion piece published on Fox, Barrasso said that all taxpayers pay when someone decides to buy an electric vehicle:

https://electrek.co/2019/02/06/republican-senator-bill-kill-electric-vehicle-tax-credit/

A group of Republican senators have introduced a new bill to kill the federal electric vehicle tax credit completely and add a new annual tax for electric vehicles.

Now, Republican Senator John Barrasso (Wyoming), along with Republican Senator Roberts (Kansas) and Enzi (Wyoming), have introduced yet another bill to kill the tax credit.

It’s the second time that Barrasso has been pushing an effort to kill the EV tax credit. “Oil and gas” is one of the top sectors to donate to Barrasso’s campaign, according to OpenSecrets. Chevron and Murray Energy are amongst Barrasso’s top donors.

In an opinion piece published on Fox, Barrasso said that all taxpayers pay when someone decides to buy an electric vehicle:

Republican senators push new bill to kill electric vehicle tax credit completely and add new EV tax

Republican senators push new bill to kill electric vehicle tax credit completely and add new EV tax
I read this too and I agree they should get rid of the tax credit, but if and only if they stop the gas/oil subsidies as well.

When you deny global warming you can ignore a massive subsidy that our planet gives to ICE vehicles.

Ultimately the tax payers have to understand that either way they're going to have to pay.

If you encourage EV adoption then it has the chance of lowering a future bill.

If you don't encourage EV adoption, and you keep doing things the way we're doing it then the future bill is going to be a MUCH, MUCH greater.

This doesn't even get into the fact that it's easier to move electrons around than gas. It's also more natural to automate EV's than ICE vehicles.

I wish republicans would stop voting for such short sighted people that lack imagination. Apparently they also lack an understanding of the federal electric vehicle tax credit. If they understood it they'd realize it was already being phased out for Tesla, and GM. So why bother with it unless your purpose was to make Tesla/GM more competitive with European automakers?

If you believe electrification is good, nay, essential for the well-being of your children and the planet, you incentivize adoption of EVs.

If you believe electric is just one of many fuel options available for transportation and shouldn't be given any competitive advantage compared to the others, you de-incentivize and tax it.

A group of Republican senators have introduced a new bill to kill the federal electric vehicle tax credit completely and add a new annual tax for electric vehicles.

2nd thread with the same information. Why?
Politics? Trying to stay away because of the rules, but.....

What does this have to do with the Model 3?

Reactions: brobinson
Getting rid of the tax credit now would actually help Tesla. Normally I would support EV tax credits, but the current situation and how the tax credit is designed leaves me in a bit of an awkward "not sure if I care" position on the matter, since I'm very pro-Tesla for leading the charge on EVs and other sustainable energy technologies.

Reactions: PA ZU
I'm not advocating charging an EV using coal generated electricity, but the reality is today a decent amount of electricity in the US is still generated by coal.

With Wyoming being the largest coal producing state (by a large margin) it seems their Senators would support more EV's.

I'm not advocating charging an EV using coal generated electricity, but the reality is today a decent amount of electricity in the US is still generated by coal.

With Wyoming being the largest coal producing state (by a large margin) it seems their Senators would support more EV's.
In CA coal is only 4% of the source of electricity. :) And almost all of the coal comes from electricity we buy from out of state.

Energy in California - Wikipedia

Reactions: Msjulie
Why should they get rid of the tax credit?
It will soon no longer benefit the companies that got the EV ball rolling. And I'm tired of hearing people complain about it. Get rid of it and oil subsidies and level he playing field. It could contribute to more fair taxes too. ICE people feel screwed that they are paying for the roads that EV people drive on.

It will soon no longer benefit the companies that got the EV ball rolling. And I'm tired of hearing people complain about it. Get rid of it and oil subsidies and level he playing field. It could contribute to more fair taxes too. ICE people feel screwed that they are paying for the roads that EV people drive on.

There are only 2 companies that have the EV ball rolling. Tesla and Nissan.

Everyone else is in the "trying" mode.

Why aren't EV people paying for the roads they drive on? I pay my tolls and taxes just like ICE people. The tax credit has nothing to do with roads.

There are only 2 companies that have the EV ball rolling. Tesla and Nissan.

Everyone else is in the "trying" mode.

Why aren't EV people paying for the roads they drive on? I pay my tolls and taxes just like ICE people. The tax credit has nothing to do with roads.

Well, no you are not paying gas tax which is the biggest state and federal source of highway funds. You might be paying a registration fee when you license your EV.

Also, I tire of people saying gas gets subsidies, Companies, all companies get to claim deductions and depreciation, nothing special is given to petroleum companies.
The fact is electric car owners will be 2nd class citizens as long as the government gives them breaks that are not given to all car owners's
. The lower-middle-class guy driving an old beater feels pretty put out some fairly well to do person is getting government help to buy and drive an electric car. Can't say I don't disagree with him.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8