Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Sales of Model 3 vs Nissan LEAF is now 18.4 to 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 US Sales__________Tesla Model 3__________Nissan LEAF__________Model 3 OUT sold the LEAF by
January__________6,500__________717__________9.1:1
February__________5,750__________654__________8.8:1
March__________10,175__________1,314__________7.7:1
April__________10,050__________951__________10.6:1
May__________13,950__________1,216__________11.5:1
June__________21,225__________1,156__________18.4:1

What do you think?

Nissan did beat Tesla with the first relatively affordable and practical EV. Unfortunately, they stubbornly (IMO) refused to increase the range quickly enough and ignored the battery management in the Leaf. That's put them far behind Tesla eight years on. I really liked my 2011 Leaf in most ways, but rapidly degrading battery lost me as a customer (as well as some problems with the local dealer here.) You can now buy an M3 with much more range for nearly the same price as a similarly optioned Leaf. Why would anyone want a Leaf now?

I am surprised that leaf numbers are increasing. I came very close to buying one but saw reports mentioned in
2018 Nissan Leaf electric car: Is there a fast-charging problem?
and decided not to ..
As that article points out, the problem is that Nissan continues to use air cooling for the Leaf battery instead of a liquid cooled system. For that reason alone I would never buy a Leaf. Nissan needs to get with the times and implement an effective battery temperature management system.

I just purchased new 2018 LEAF. It was on a dealer lot for nearly a year, and my total net cost after accounting for taxes and fees, and adding back 7.5k tax rebate was around 17.5k. I have two kids that are now of driving age, so we needed a 4th car. Hard to beat net 17.5k for a new car of any kind, but especially for a car that should be very inexpensive to operate. However, I will stick to driving my Tesla.

Makes sense. No way is the Leaf an equal to the Model 3, Model 3 is leaps and bounds a better car in all metrics. The Leaf also suffers from their early battery issues. As far as affordable EV's - the Model 3 cant be beat right now.

You can now buy an M3 with much more range for nearly the same price as a similarly optioned Leaf. Why would anyone want a Leaf now?
Yup.

The Tesla Model 3 is a class above the LEAF so I do not really compare them. In fact, and despite my loathing of GM, I think the Bolt is a much better purchase than the LEAF. They are being sold for as low as ~ $20k these days after applicable tax credits, have longer range, CCS charging, and battery thermal control. If I had to buy a second car today to play second fiddle to our Model 3 I would have to hold my nose and go check out the Bolt.

Last edited:
the problem is that Nissan continues to use air cooling for the Leaf battery instead of a liquid cooled system.
Worse than that. The LEAF relies on passive heat transfer to ambient -- conduction and convection of heat from the battery case to surrounding air. The Toyota Prime is an example of what I call air-cooled: cabin air is pulled into the battery case by a fan.

Leaf is still much less expensive then the SR/+. MSRP is what you pay with the Tesla, while the Leaf gets 3-4 Dealer discounts, and the 7,500 Federal discount (arguably because they aren't hotcakes). The smaller battery (40) Leaf can be had for 15-16K plus tax in some states, and the plus for low-mid 20's. Even with Propilot and the higher trim Level, you are only out about 30K (less in states with discounts), so some distance less then the SR, and >10 difference than the SR+. Car is awesome though (the 3). But comes with an additional price... No one asks you to pick up lunch when you pull up in a Leaf, new or old.

I just purchased new 2018 LEAF. It was on a dealer lot for nearly a year, and my total net cost after accounting for taxes and fees, and adding back 7.5k tax rebate was around 17.5k. I have two kids that are now of driving age, so we needed a 4th car. Hard to beat net 17.5k for a new car of any kind, but especially for a car that should be very inexpensive to operate. However, I will stick to driving my Tesla.

Sat on the lot for a year!? Hope the dealer kept the battery properly charged.