Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Superchargers open to CCS vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • I am a Tesla driver, what additional benefits do I get compared to other electric vehicles?
    As a Tesla driver you benefit from the seamless integration of charge post and vehicle, optimized route planning and battery pre-conditioning. With your Tesla, you’ll also have access to the lowest Supercharger pricing.

So who will be the first to post a video or image of this working? Just go into the Tesla app, click your acct. then sipe left on the icons below your image and choose Charge Your Non-Tesla and you'll see all the chargers you can use:

B42F82B2-E5BD-41F6-82A8-79ECC1B664F1_1_201_a.jpeg

West coast:

Placerville, CA
Scott's Valley, CA

3CC2C96A-3CF3-450C-8CC7-1924ACEA4C9B_1_201_a.jpeg

East Coast:

Batavia, NY
Brewster, NY
Hancock, NY
Fredonia, NY
Malta, NY
Parish, NY
Red Hook, NY
Verona, NY

Last edited:
If they added a MegaPak XL to each site and put that in the bid than NEVI would pay for the site, that would certainly be worth it. Probably still cheaper than the EA or EVgo quotes

I hope that this trial period of CCS works out things like the NFC usage, that would be so much easier than having to open the app and dig in it to find the activation settings. Ugh!

@charlesoris I'm curious why you disagree? Do you not think this is a Taycan plugged in?

FqPW5AwakAICv-m

And really, they didn't need to be pulled that far forward, there is some slack in the cable, so they could have been further back.
That is certainly a Taycan, but I'll have to say, in my suburban neck of the woods, it is rare to see a Supercharger parking stall so wide that one can be 4' from one of the painted lines, AND lacking concrete parking stops that prevent Tesla's physically from backing in and hitting the supercharger pedestal directly, to allow the Taycan to actually pull ALONGSIDE the pedestal like that.

it is rare to see a Supercharger parking stall so wide that one can be 4' from one of the painted lines, AND lacking concrete parking stops that prevent Tesla's physically from backing in and hitting the supercharger pedestal directly, to allow the Taycan to actually pull ALONGSIDE the pedestal like that.
Because it was a handicap van-accessible stall (blue signage).

rare to see a Supercharger parking stall so wide that one can be 4' from one of the painted lines, AND lacking concrete parking stops that prevent Tesla's physically from backing in and hitting the supercharger
Agree it's a wide site.

In Australia they have actually removed the bump stops and added bollards at the sites (al V2 units btw) that they have opened up.

See Hollydene, NSW
(That's a BYD Atto3 charging in the top pic)
IMG_20230303_145722.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
@charlesoris I'm curious why you disagree? Do you not think this is a Taycan plugged in?

FqPW5AwakAICv-m

And really, they didn't need to be pulled that far forward, there is some slack in the cable, so they could have been further back.
The Taycan is one of the few CCS cars that might be able to use a Magic Dock stall (sometimes) without blocking an extra charging stall, because the DCFC port is on the right side of the car and toward the front of the car.
Note that it only worked in this particular stall because it was a wide stall, no parking curb stop, and the front bollard/post was positioned just deep enough to allow the Taycan to pull in much further than normally allowed. At many superchargers, this would NOT have worked.
And most other (common) EVs use a left front or right rear CCS port, or driver door port, which means they will be almost always be blocking an extra supercharger stall when they are charging.
Overall, this whole situation is a big win for non-Tesla EVs, and a really sucky situation for those of us that paid for the supercharger network.

That is certainly a Taycan, but I'll have to say, in my suburban neck of the woods, it is rare to see a Supercharger parking stall so wide that one can be 4' from one of the painted lines, AND lacking concrete parking stops that prevent Tesla's physically from backing in and hitting the supercharger pedestal directly, to allow the Taycan to actually pull ALONGSIDE the pedestal like that.
Also note that this particular supercharger post is oddly reversed; most have the cable connection attached on the right side and the handle/hook on the left. In this case, that gave the Taycan an extra few inches of cable (that they would not have had at most sites).

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Who would ever bring their Taycan to a TSC?....unless you have the 150 inverter the car can't pull more than 50kW off of a SC anyways.

See Kyle's detailed video....most CCS cars will use TSC for backup only unless they want to waste time. 800V cars are poor and the 350A limit to non-Teslas will limit all cars to a max of 150kW (unless they change this in the future and push more than 350A like they do to Tesla vehicles). The only car that may go over 150kW is the Hummer (TBD).

Reactions: moa999
Tesla should sell a cable extender for Non-Tesla vehicles.
The owner of the car that wants to use the tesla station would need to purchase the one that will work with their specific vehicle. That way, ALL cars pull into the stall correctly. They don't block any slots. You would still need an account to activate the charger to use on your car, and it would (hopefully) prevent people from pulling on the cables to get that 'extra inch' to be able to plug in their car.

OR...

Tesla puts 2 cables on every stall so that you can pull in correctly, and not block the other parking spot. Yes, it'll be slower for everyone, and Tesla owners are going to get pissed off.... but hey, why not... it's not like people purchased their Tesla because of the charging network. Oh, Wait...

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Tesla's big advantage over other EV's has always been the Supercharger network and the simplicity/reliability of the charging process. By opening up the network, in the manner that they are doing it, they eliminate their advantages and punish Tesla owners. I really don't get it.

If they wanted to install a new generation of pedestals that had longer cables and a different orientation to the parking stalls to leverage their existing infrastructure and bring in more customers without punishing the existing customer base then that would make sense. Considering in many places they can barely keep up with demand from Tesla owners, this is crazy.

Just wait for the next holiday weekend travel day, that will be a good test of whether open charging with the existing Supercharger design is a viable solution.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Considering in many places they can barely keep up with demand from Tesla owners, this is crazy.
Remember, they are only opening select locations. The ones that see heavy usage will likely not be opened.

On the Tesla side this is about increasing the usage of low utilization sites, which is to bring in revenue and lower the overhead costs per kWh delivered. That will allow more expansion, which should help with demand. (Overhead costs are currently ~$0.12/kWh, or ~30% of the cost Tesla charges.)

It's also strange that the pedestal is installed with the cable and charge-handle attached on the opposite sides of the SC compared to where they normally are.
I've actually wondered for years why it isn't the other way around. If the cable was attached closer to the vehicle instead of farther away from it, it would give another foot or so of usable cable.

why can't tesla just make the cables a tad longer? heck... even when charging my Model 3 i have to back way way into the spot to charge...
The HW 4 SC will have a longer cable, and has space for it to easily hang either outside or inside.. for the V3 SC, they might be able to put a longer cable on it, hanging down but I think the tension of the magnetic attachment at the head end would have to be charged, or a better Tesla docking mechanism enabled.

It would just be overall easier to drop in a prefab 4 SC slab, and have it positioned offset from the main SC banks, with more center left or center right parking options.

Last edited:
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Remember, they are only opening select locations. The ones that see heavy usage will likely not be opened.

On the Tesla side this is about increasing the usage of low utilization sites, which is to bring in revenue and lower the overhead costs per kWh delivered. That will allow more expansion, which should help with demand. (Overhead costs are currently ~$0.12/kWh, or ~30% of the cost Tesla charges.)
I certainly hope so! Right now I would be reluctant to take a long road trip if I can't rely to having prompt access to Superchargers. I've driven the I-5 and I-80 corridors on many long trips, and it's great right now. Please Tesla, don't ruin a good thing.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and wws