Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US supercharging cost decrease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchasing an equivalent amount of energy as one gallon of gasoline at a Supercharger costs $13.48 if the Supercharger cost is .40/ kwh

As another person said, your methodology is simply _wrong_. Yes there is ~34kWh of chemical energy in a gallon of gasoline. But there's no way an ICE can turn that into motive energy. Depending on conditions somewhere between 15-35% of that chemical energy actually moves the car. All of the rest is waste heat. Some is useful for heating the cabin in the winter. Quite a bit of it works against the air conditioner in trying to keep the cabin cool in the summer.

Do your calculation by cost to move per mile. Or if you want a quick and dirty, just move the decimal one to the right as call it good enough. $0.400/kWh ~= $04.00 / gallon gasoline in equivalent vehicles. $.13/kWh at home is near enough to $1. 30/gallon gasoline.

As another person said, your methodology is simply _wrong_. Yes there is ~34kWh of chemical energy in a gallon of gasoline. But there's no way an ICE can turn that into motive energy. Depending on conditions somewhere between 15-35% of that chemical energy actually moves the car. All of the rest is waste heat. Some is useful for heating the cabin in the winter. Quite a bit of it works against the air conditioner in trying to keep the cabin cool in the summer.

Do your calculation by cost to move per mile. Or if you want a quick and dirty, just move the decimal one to the right as call it good enough. $0.400/kWh ~= $04.00 / gallon gasoline in equivalent vehicles. $.13/kWh at home is near enough to $1. 30/gallon gasoline.
You agree how much energy is in a gallon of gasoline. I said to BUY an equivalent amount of energy, never did mention the inefficiency of a gasoline car. But lets address that now. The purchase price of gasoline is independent of how the car performs. Right?? Let's say an ICE car gets 30 mpg and EV 120. If gas costs $3.37 you can go 30 miles on $3.37. If you spend $3.37 on electricity at 10 cents/kwh you have purchased 33.7 kwh of power. If your EV gets 3.5 miles per kwh (mine does better) you can go 118 miles on that one gallon of gas equivalent. If electricity costs 40 cents/kwh then divide that mileage by 4 and you get 29.5, essentially the same as the ICE car. And actually this is not totally correct because charging is not 100 % efficient. But I'm trying to make a point, not shoot for extreme precission. This is not rocket science. If you can show me where I'm wrong I'll readily retract my statement but at this point I believe your methodology is simply-wrong.