Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Tesla Powerwall reservations at 160,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

At the Gigafactory event I spoke with someone in the upper levels of Tesla Energy (no I won't reveal their name, but definitely an authoritative source) who told me that they have received about 160,000 Powerwall reservations in the US since the Powerwall launch in May 2015. I was amazed by the magnitude of that figure. Tesla Energy has done no real marketing or advertising.

Of course a Powerwall "reservation" consists only of someone completing and submitting the short form at Reserve your Tesla Home Battery and no payment of any kind is required. Still I think 160,000 is an impressive number.

I have no information on Powerwall reservations outside the US or about the Powerpack.

My Powerwall will be arriving at my house this August, as my 10kW solar installation has finally started!

• Informative
Reactions: SR22pilot and EinSV
A good friend of mine has already stated that if SoCal Edison keeps screwing with his solar bill, he would increase his panel numbers and add Powerwalls just to stick it to them. It won't take much to push more people in this direction too.

I agree. I fully expect to add another Powerwall to my solar system within the decade.

The problem is, the percentage of the population that a) owns their home and has control over what goes on their roof and b) can afford to buy a solar system with battery storage and c) plans to stay in their home long enough to consider the solar investment is worthwhile, is fairly small. Elon needs to figure out a way to convince a large percentage of homeowners that installing solar and batteries makes economic sense. It's not an easy sell.

With respect to your (c) above - why do you discount the ability of homeowner #1 not being able to pass on a Powerwall's cost to homeowner #2? I understand that not every improvement to a dwelling is able effectively to be passed on to a new owner, but some are - that is, to the extent that they augment the home's resale value at something close to their cost; also, unlike a new kitchen, a Powerwall can, conceivably, be re-moved.

Audie, I agree that many home upgrades or enhancements do add value to the house (e.g. kitchen/bath remodels, room additions) but to most people home battery storage connected to a PV system is a new idea and certainly the number of house sales where such a system is in place is relatively small so there is no data available on how that effects resale value.

I have spoken to a number of real estate agents about whether PV adds value to a home. Some think it does, others think it makes essentially no difference. None of them would have any experience with home battery storage and how it effects the home value.

Certainly there are some buyers who would find a PV/Powerwall system a desirable feature in a home, but given that such systems are very rare in the US we simply don't know how the average buyer will react to the presence of such a system in a home they are considering buying. You and I would think it was really great, but we aren't typical home buyers in that regard, any more than we are not typical car buyers.

As to removing an existing Powerwall if a home buyer didn't want it, sure it is feasible, but given that the cost of a Powerwall is a tiny fraction of the value of a home, I'm not sure that would happen very often. I conceded it could happen.

Personally I would start with new planned communities in areas where sun is plentiful. Having every home built with this capability would be a magnet for home buyers who are progressive. There was a set of local new home projects that tied all homes into a local community internet system that allowed everyone access to community news and going-ons. These communities sold out quickly with forward thinking buyers wanting the latest technology. Once word got out about how successful it was, others followed. With batteries and solar all it takes are a few larger scale success stories and the concept could pick up steam. When Mikey took that first bite of Life cereal and liked it it didn't take long for his brothers to catch on. (Did I just date myself there? :eek: )

I have spoken to a number of real estate agents about whether PV adds value to a home. Some think it does, others think it makes essentially no difference.
There have actually been some studies on this. In the markets studied (it probably varies geographically) *owned* solar panels added value to the house. (Less than the upfront price of the panels, certainly, but some value). Leased or PPAed solar panels reduced the value of the house; they were seen as a liability. This doesn't really surprise me. It's the way you'd expect people to evaluate any amenity which they are somewhat uncertain about; they assign it a token value of a few hundred or thousand dollars. (Same way they'd evaluate a diesel generator...) If it has a recurring cost attached, they instead think of it as a hassle.