Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Tesla Sales Continue Downward Slide.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised that the article doesn't mention the effect of leased vehicles. automakers have been giving bargain lease deals since the recession to get cars off the lots. hell, a portion of
leases are actually used vehicles, something that didn't really exist before. Used lots have been getting flooded the last couple years with prices going down. This year they are cutting back
on the lease offers to help out the used market and moved the bargains back to new car sales.
now is the time to buy
Now is the time to buy as Model 3 is rolling out and will give all Model S owners an instant 50% depreciation hit? I don't think so.
I think Bark's last statement was referring to the rest of the auto industry, not Tesla.

It's just not unusual for products (even in demand) to decline quarter by quarter due to seasonal trends. That why analysts look at the same quarter/month and vary by year or look at YTD to the same period to negate seasonal trends as much as possible.

As I said:

While I agree seasonal demand affects many products, the mostly once a year updated iPhone is a poor comparison to a Tesla that is updated several times each quarter. Tesla sales thus run on a different product lifecycle.

But someone e.g. also said this:

That's like saying Apple was worried about iPhone 6s sales in August 2016.

One of the reasons why I say iPhone is a bad example. iPhone in August is hurting from a new one coming next month or two. A Tesla is not. We're better off retiring the iPhone as a comparison in this thread.

Well I only bring up the iPhone sales because that was used as an example (and also by OP).

Sure, sure. But iPhone is a bad comparison by anyone.

I'm not sure Camry, which has clear model years, is much better. Obviously sales slack towards the next model year switch...

We need something as a comparison that changes many times every quarter. Anyone figure out another product that does that?

You are using InsideEV's estimates. They are estimates. The difference between Q1 and Q2 is well within the noise of their guessing. Furthermore, a more accurate picture is to look at the overall global sales. Tesla is still production limited, so allocating more to one region necessarily starves another. So no, not worried there.

InsideEVs estimates monthly only, quarterly numbers are taken from Tesla provided numbers freely available to anyone that cares to read the quarterly statements that are required for a public company.

Once the quarter's numbers are revealed insideEVs goes back and revises the 3 months to equal the published quarterly number.

Still many reasons to not be worried, I just wanted to clarify your misconception.

While true, my fear is that the limited range and poor cycle life of the Leaf may hurt adoption. Possibly just as many people would then dismiss the idea of buying a personal BEV due to the rapidly diminishing range of Leafs.

Cycle life isn't an issue for the leaf, Heat is.

The leaf has no active cooling. No liquid moves around or through the pack, no air flows through the pack (it's sealed). Heat just builds up in there and cooks the cells.

So long as the municipalities getting the leaf don't' see above 80F on a frequent basis the Leaf will hold out just fine.

It would be a bad example in Florida, Texas and the desert southwest for sure.

Last edited:
Tesla isn't demand constrained until there are no such levers to pull any more. If they could produce more, they could sell more, by entering new markets, advertising in unsaturated existing markets, offering more incentives, in other words "pulling demand levers".

I agree. There are a lot of people out there who would buy a Model S if they could get one. In general though sedan sales in the US are falling off a cliff. I've been reading that there is a glut of off lease sedans in the US right now and it's made the used sedan market a buyer's market. It's probably also making the new sedan market soft.

Tesla is product constrained in that not too many people want their product right now. If I were in the market for Model S again I'd be a hard no on a purchase right now with Model 3 coming out in a few days.

This wouldn't apply if I were shopping for Model X.

If Model 3 is really $35k, Tesla will need to drop price of Model S to keep it competitive.

I would not be surprised if they do drop the price. They have three factors that will come into play once the Model 3 is up and in full production:

1) The cost of many materials that go into the S and X will decline because they will be buying them in larger volume. This includes sheet aluminum, wire, fasteners, etc.
2) Once they convert the S and X battery packs to the 2170 cells, the price of the packs should drop.
3) With the Model 3 bringing in profits, the need to make large gross profits on all cars sold goes down.

If they reduced the price of the Model S by $10K-$20K, sales would go up because there are a lot of people who would buy a Model S if they could afford it. Every price drop puts the Model S in the range of more people. I think the price should be on par with the upper range of Lincoln and Cadillac. That would probably crush sales for those nameplates.

Given the news about Tesla's deal with Australia, to supply the world's largest battery storage system in the world, is it possible that Tesla has been quietly diverting battery supplies to prepare for that. Musk promised he could have it installed within 100 days of the signed contract or it would be free. 100MWh is a lot of batteries, even for Tesla I would think.

The cells used in stationary storage are a different chemistry from those used in the cars. I believe the production lines for the two are separate. The big storage project in Australia will probably impact Powerwall production though.

Well, it's been argued in this thread that the Model 3 could have some bearing on the decline. If so, I'd say the comparison is apt.

The decline could also be due to the end of free supercharging for a while. Most of the first quarter deliveries were cars bought before January 15, 2017 and it's almost certain they saw a sharp drop in sales after that because they brought back free supercharging until the end of the year. The sales made after free supercharging was brought back are largely not final yet (Q3 deliveries).

As I said:

But someone e.g. also said this:

One of the reasons why I say iPhone is a bad example. iPhone in August is hurting from a new one coming next month or two. A Tesla is not. We're better off retiring the iPhone as a comparison in this thread.

Sure, sure. But iPhone is a bad comparison by anyone.

I'm not sure Camry, which has clear model years, is much better. Obviously sales slack towards the next model year switch...

We need something as a comparison that changes many times every quarter. Anyone figure out another product that does that?
Model year switch has to do with it, but car buying tends to slow down in the end of the year also due to people on vacation. And despite Tesla not going with traditional model years, all the traditional value estimation tools (KBB, Edmunds, now Truecar) still use the year as a differentiator. Similarly, the traditional car buyer looking for a Tesla may still follow the same idea (a 2016 Tesla being worth more than a 2017 Tesla).

I don't buy the argument that simply because Tesla introduces features with no set schedule that these seasonal trends are completely eliminated and the "natural" state of sales should be continuously up (ignoring at the moment the supply based issues too).

InsideEVs estimates monthly only, quarterly numbers are taken from Tesla provided numbers freely available to anyone that cares to read the quarterly statements that are required for a public company.

Once the quarter's numbers are revealed insideEVs goes back and revises the 3 months to equal the published quarterly number.

Still many reasons to not be worried, I just wanted to clarify your misconception.

While true, Tesla hasn't provided regional allotment numbers each time. So there's actually still a lot of slop with the numbers InsideEVs provides. They true it up a bit to match the overall global count and when Tesla does provide regional snapshots, they try to true it up some more.

Strange no one worries about this:

Quarterly Model S Model X Total
2016 1 6390 2400 8790
2016 2 5700 4540 10240
2016 3 9156 5783 14939
2016 4 7650 5500 13150
2017 1 6100 4300 10400
2017 2 5095 4645 9740
Why would they? Tesla's going to do whatever they have to do to avoid producing their 200,000th US vehicle sale in Q4 of this year. They could throttle Model 3 production to do this, but my guess is they'll slow down Model S/X production because everyone's keeping a close eye on Model 3 production.

Given their US sales through the first half of this year, they're on track to have sold ~151,000+ EVs (Roadster, Model S, Model X) in the US by the end of 2017, not including Model 3 production. If they can increase Model 3 production by 4,000-5,000 cars per month, starting from a few hundred to maybe a thousand units in August, they'll be able to deliver ~48,000+ Model 3s in 2017 without hitting the 200,000 vehicle EV tax credit limit for US EV sales.

Tesla is product constrained in that not too many people want their product right now. If I were in the market for Model S again I'd be a hard no on a purchase right now with Model 3 coming out in a few days.

This wouldn't apply if I were shopping for Model X.

If Model 3 is really $35k, Tesla will need to drop price of Model S to keep it competitive.

I think your analogy concerning reducing Model S pricing to keep it competitive V/S the Model 3 is flawed, and here is why.
Mercedes Benz, BMW, Lexus, etc. do not "drop the prices" of the S600, or the 7 Series, or the LS460 to be competitive with their down market offerings. The cars are not competing in the same space for those that want a BMW 7 Series ... a 3 Series simply will not do and so on. I would be a good example I "could have" got in line for a Model 3 but I wanted a larger platform therefore I chose a CPO S. at a higher price point than a New Model 3. People still buy Cadillac Escalades when it is really nothing more than a spiffed up Chevy Suburban.

And there are many more examples of this across many brands.

I don't buy the argument that simply because Tesla introduces features with no set schedule that these seasonal trends are completely eliminated and the "natural" state of sales should be continuously up (ignoring at the moment the supply based issues too).

Neither do I claim any such thing. As I said, seasonality definitely has an effect - but then so does product changes. We are probably better of not comparing Tesla sales to products that have annual updates (e.g. iPhone is a bad comparison in general), but that does not mean we should for example not compare Tesla's own sales season to season. We definitely should.

Well, it's been argued in this thread that the Model 3 could have some bearing on the decline. If so, I'd say the comparison is apt.

In today's moment of time I agree. Model 3 is causing a similar effect. However we were talking of several quarters of consequtive decline - nor does the iPhone comparison generally apply to Tesla for reasons discussed above.

What is different about the Model 3 effect too is that it would be like iPhone sales stalling due to people waiting for iPhone SE. It would be of concern for Apple profit-wise. iPhone is just a bad analogy.

As there are very few other products with the type of multiple product changes each quarter that Teslas have, we are probably better off sticking to comparing Teslas own season to season sales than trying to find analogies.

And those U.S. numbers do look at least less bad than consequtive.

I think your analogy concerning reducing Model S pricing to keep it competitive V/S the Model 3 is flawed, and here is why.
Mercedes Benz, BMW, Lexus, etc. do not "drop the prices" of the S600, or the 7 Series, or the LS460 to be competitive with their down market offerings. The cars are not competing in the same space for those that want a BMW 7 Series ... a 3 Series simply will not do and so on. I would be a good example I "could have" got in line for a Model 3 but I wanted a larger platform therefore I chose a CPO S. at a higher price point than a New Model 3. People still buy Cadillac Escalades when it is really nothing more than a spiffed up Chevy Suburban.

And there are many more examples of this across many brands.

While true, few points to consider:

1) Model S is not really a 7 Series or A8 competitor even if it is priced like one. It does not have the comforts. It is more a 5-6 Series or maybe Audi A6-A7... (Even Elon agreed in a tweet.) So it is fairly pricey for such a car. Tesla could decide to bring its base price down while still sticking to the A6-A7 price bracket. (While Model 3 remains in the A4-A5 range.)

2) Model S (and to a lesser degree Model X) are rather unique cars in the sense that being the only large-battery cars on the market they have been attracting more buyers irrespective of usual car class or size preferences or considerations.

3) The unique position of S/X does not even completely change with Model 3, though of course latter is a big deal. But Model 3 is a sedan and thus lacks the hatchback, wagon and CUV alternatives usually found in its class. Model S hatchback and Model X SUV remain the only alternatives for latter car types...

The lack of large battery EV alternatives is sort of focusing a very large potential pool of buyers on these cars, who are willing to buy out of class if the conditions are right (e.g. Model S 60 2 year lease selling to Prius owners).

Tesla might thus well be served by bringing Model S/X base price down a bit, at least until there are more models...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Strange no one worries about this:

Quarterly Model S Model X Total
2016 1 6390 2400 8790
2016 2 5700 4540 10240
2016 3 9156 5783 14939
2016 4 7650 5500 13150
2017 1 6100 4300 10400
2017 2 5095 4645 9740

S&X delivered globally:
2016 Q1 14810
2016 Q2 14402
2016 Q3 24821
2016 Q4 22200
2017 Q1 25418
2017 Q2 22000

They obviously stopped investing in S&X production a year ago. Panasonic probably does not want to invest in 18650 cells any more. Their quarterly production will remain in about 24000. How much of this is sold in USA is not known exactly and can change for many reasons.

I see no reason to worry.

Tesla might thus well be served by bringing Model S/X base price down a bit, at least until there are more models...

They sorta did with the latest changes. The comp went from the 530i/530e at $54/55k to somewhere between the 540i and M550i $55k/73k. Basically, it moved $5 to 10k in comp by increasing performance without increasing price or losing efficiency. Like moving up from the base turbo 4 to a 6 or 8 for no charge and no fuel mileage penalty.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
S&X delivered globally:
2016 Q1 14810
2016 Q2 14402
2016 Q3 24821
2016 Q4 22200
2017 Q1 25418
2017 Q2 22000

They obviously stopped investing in S&X production a year ago. Panasonic probably does not want to invest in 18650 cells any more. Their quarterly production will remain in about 24000. How much of this is sold in USA is not known exactly and can change for many reasons.

I see no reason to worry.

I believe the S and X production lines combined have the capacity to produce about 50,000 cars a quarter. I've seen some articles claiming the X line alone is capable of producing 3000 cars a week. Though I think there are probably some other limits in that production chain that would keep them well below 200,000 cars a year on the S and X lines. 100,000 a year might be possible with some improvements to their processes. I expect some of the lessons learned setting up the Model 3 lines will make their way into the Model S and X lines and will save both time and money in the long run. It may also contribute to making the quality more consistent.

At the current price of the cars, demand probably wouldn't support an increase much beyond where they are now. If they drop their prices $20K, demand would at least double.

I believe the S and X production lines combined have the capacity to produce about 50,000 cars a quarter. I've seen some articles claiming the X line alone is capable of producing 3000 cars a week. Though I think there are probably some other limits in that production chain that would keep them well below 200,000 cars a year on the S and X lines. 100,000 a year might be possible with some improvements to their processes. I expect some of the lessons learned setting up the Model 3 lines will make their way into the Model S and X lines and will save both time and money in the long run. It may also contribute to making the quality more consistent.

At the current price of the cars, demand probably wouldn't support an increase much beyond where they are now. If they drop their prices $20K, demand would at least double.

Well... I can't tread into NDA territory, but if you visit the Fremont plant, you'd see what the issue is with scaling S/X production. So examine these statements by Musk in the Q1 earnings call:

Well, I think, we feel pretty good about achieving the sort of the 100K – roughly 100K total for the year for Model S and Model X, combined. That's where we kind of want to be. The manufacturing system and the supply chain is all sort of set up for that level.

Any given production system, you design it for optimal output and then you aim to improve efficiency, reliability, quality, and so forth at that output. But the Model S and Model X system as we said last year, was designed for 100,000 units, and now initially to get to that rate, we have to use a lot of overtime, a lot of expediting, and that affected our gross margin on the car. And now we're sort of at steady state with kind of the top part of that S-curve that we're targeting. And so now focus for Model S and Model X is improving production efficiency, continuing to improve quality and...

Yeah, and internal costs and so forth to sort of and to get the automotive gross margin of Model S and Model X to the 30% level that we've been aspiring to for a while.

Yes, they can make more. It will affect gross margin to make more right now, and they're not focused on increasing S/X production at the expense of margins (and potentially employee happiness) right now. I agree with you that they will likely revisit the design of the S/X as well as the production design of the S/X general assembly lines to increase production at some point, probably in 2018.

As for demand, Musk said,

... Like we're going to produce 100,000 units approximately. So, all that matters is there going to be demand for 100,000 units? I believe there will be, or there is.