Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US/World ready for a Model 3 station wagon (= Model Y) ?

US/World ready for a Model 3 station wagon ?

• Yes

Votes: 50 79.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I, for one, am deeply disappointed that the Model Y is yet another CUV. From what little we've seen, there will be minor increases in clearance and a slightly higher bulge in the back. As the OP pointed out, small hatchbacks are extremely popular in Europe. The only reason we don't own a hatchback at this time is they are insanely difficult to find used in the Portland area. I think people who have them run them until they die. Oddly enough, that's what we did with our last one.

I, for one, am deeply disappointed that the Model Y is yet another CUV. From what little we've seen, there will be minor increases in clearance and a slightly higher bulge in the back. As the OP pointed out, small hatchbacks are extremely popular in Europe. The only reason we don't own a hatchback at this time is they are insanely difficult to find used in the Portland area. I think people who have them run them until they die. Oddly enough, that's what we did with our last one.

Well, considering we haven't really seen anything yet, I think I'll hold judgement. And since there is no EV cSUV, I think the market really needs one, and will probably reward the first good one out of the gate. I think that's why Tesla wants to move so quickly. It touches so many use cases.

I started leasing an Audi A3 e-tron in May, lined up to end about when I think the Model Y will be available here in Canada (early/mid 2021). After driving a Forester for about 15 years, I'm really enjoying the A3 so far. The 45km of pure EV range is actually doing a great job cutting my gas costs, getting me between 1,200 and 1,600kms per tank. But there's definitely some adjustment getting used to the reduced cargo of the A3 vs the Forester, especially since I can't get a factory hitch here in Canada.. But honestly, I think if there was a Model 3 hatchback variant available now, I'd be very tempted to jump on that vs waiting for the Model Y. I think I've learned my storage needs can be addressed handily with a hitch for bikes and a storage box for occasional long trips.

But I still like the cSUV class. I'm with you on ground clearance, but the simple fact is that just about every manufacturer has increased the rear windshield rake substantially over the last few years.

I think we'll see the design in the next 6-8 months. After that I'll be critical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brando and KJD