Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA Federal Political 2016 Changes to Conservation Policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm responding to a post in another thread, but the charter of that thread said no political discussion not laser-focused on that thread's purpose, so I'm moving the discussion here. I feel this is a fine starting off point:

I am not sure this link from The Guardian newspaper was posted. This shows the thesis that the trolling of Tesla is being effected by oil and other trad[itional] industries, is being recognized internationally.

The trolling of Elon Musk: how US conservatives are attacking green tech
Thanks. The sinking ship of party affiliations is not going to be a good thing for environmental concerns and electric vehicles. Conservatives like to conserve nature. Although a lot of them have a libertarian bent and don't want to be told what to do, they also understand that some legitimate coordination is useful in conserving our environment. Environmentalists used to be called conservationists. It is a balancing act, and if you describe conserving nature in a careful way to a conservative or a Republican, they might go for it if it does not challenge their independence and other values. As long as environmentalists side themselves with Democrats, one payer government run (think Veterans Administration murderers) health care, and anything that stinks of big government or communism, then the "Republicans" and "conservatives" will run the other way as fast as possible, and empower the 120 years of genetically bred fossil fuel loud polluting toxic ICE motor heads who continue to poison our extremely thin layer of atmosphere on our huge planet, instead of those of us who hate the very smell of ICE. We should not be on the sinking ship of Democrats vs Republicans; we will lose that fight, especially right now with so many problems that brings with it (murdering religious culturally foreign non-native speaking immigrants that existing citizens hate the Democrats for bringing in, crime-ridden cities with miserable people living in them, ridiculous regulations run by people who have no intent of serving the people or the purpose of the laws, an evil tax department that has used its power to conduct political manipulation that Democrats go absolute apoplectic about whenever Republicans start to move to reduce taxes, etc.). Now is a great time to de-link environmentalism and electric vehicles from party affiliations entirely.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Intl Professor
The combination of increasing technological complexity, falling scientific literacy, increasing concentration of wealth, and the resulting integration of money, politics, and lobbyists, are leading to a post-rational world in which the public is highly susceptible to effective propaganda and disinformation, which is generally, but not exclusively, co-related with wealth. The battle is simply, for the most part, between the traditional industries with established wealth, and everyone else. Party affiliations seem quite secondary.
Exponential technologies, direct (consumer) action to support sustainable (zero emissions) technologies through our purchases, engagement with our immediate networks, and supporting and re-tweeting the news stories which accurately reflect the facts.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I'm responding to a post in another thread, but the charter of that thread said no political discussion not laser-focused on that thread's purpose, so I'm moving the discussion here. I feel this is a fine starting off point:
Thanks.
Snip

Now is a great time to de-link environmentalism and electric vehicles from party affiliations entirely.

I couldn't agree more and thanks for starting this thread. Elsewhere I have already posted a link by a Harvard Business School professor, Deepak Malhotra, who specializes on negotiations and repeat below. It is a bit long but really nails how to better approach people with whom you profoundly disagree. I'm slowly going through his book and may have more material later. For now, enjoy:

How to Build an Exit Ramp for Trump Supporters

The combination of increasing technological complexity, falling scientific literacy, increasing concentration of wealth, and the resulting integration of money, politics, and lobbyists, are leading to a post-rational world in which the public is highly susceptible to effective propaganda and disinformation, which is generally, but not exclusively, co-related with wealth. The battle is simply, for the most part, between the traditional industries with established wealth, and everyone else. Party affiliations seem quite secondary.
Exponential technologies, direct (consumer) action to support sustainable (zero emissions) technologies through our purchases, engagement with our immediate networks, and supporting and re-tweeting the news stories which accurately reflect the facts.

Great summary. I would also argue that the "failing scientific literacy" is part of a greater overall failing educational system that exhibits significant evidence of corruption (highly variable from school to school, not just county to county or state to state). When mediocrity is celebrated, everyone thinks they have the right answer.

Reactions: dc_h