Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA "Phase 1": End-to-End Interstate Coverage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
I track the build-out of Superchargers along Interstates and US Numbered Highways. It seems that we're getting closer to there being coverage of the Interstates in the contiguous states.

The following tables lists Interstates where, once all identified sites are open there would be spacing of 150 miles or greater start-to-end along an Interstate, start to Supercharger, between Superchargers, or from Supercharger to end.

In the case where an Interstate is incomplete, I have used the fastest as indicated by Supercharge.info), between known Superchargers sites along that Interstate. In some cases the fastest route diverts substantially off the planned route for the Interstate.

The findus column refers to gray future Supercharger pins on the Tesla's findus map.

I-MinMilesFromTofindusNotes
I-261259.7Asheville, NCEnd (Charleston, SC).
I-291241.6Sioux Falls, SDFargo, ND (Construction)..
I-351173.1Laredo, TXSelma, TX (Permit)Dilley, TX
I-351155Ardmore, OKPerry, OK.The Oklahoma City, OK Supercharger is good for I-40, but a large diversion for either I-35 or I-44. Another Supercharger in that area could serve I-35 and I-44.
I-403490.7Oklahoma City, OKMemphis, TNHenryetta, OK Fort Smith, AR Clarksville, AR Forrest City, ARMemphis, TN is itself a large diversion from I-40, and I-55 would benefit from something in West Memphis, TN, so they might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone if they can get a West Memphis, TN site.
I-441255Start (Wichita Falls, TX)Catoosa, OK.Oklahoma City, OK is too large a diversion to count.
I-492315.5Texarkana, TXJoplin, MOFort Smith, AR Bentonville, ARAlthough I-49 runs east of Texarkana, AR, the Texarkana, TX Supercharger is a reasonable diversion so I consider it an I-49 Supercharger. A Supercharger in Fort Smith, AR would work for both I-40 and I-49.
I-551239.4Grenada, MSMiner, MOBlytheville, ARI-55 passes through Memphis, TN, but the Supercharger there is a large diversion. A good West Memphis, TN location would serve both I-40 and I-55. Blytheville, AR is around 166 miles from Grenada, MS so insufficient.
I-641195.1Mount Vernon, ILLouisville, KYElberfeld, INTesla has Elberfeld, IN on their findus map as a 2019 location, and that would do the job and complete I-64, as well as serving I-69.
I-69W1184Laredo, TXVictoria, TX.This is a future Interstate route, one of the prongs of the fork from the Mexican border.
I-691170Richmond, TXNacogdoches, TXHouston, TX?Along future I-69. Maybe they can get a site at Valley Ranch Town Center in Porter, TX once construction in the area of the TX-99 toll road northeast loop is completed.
I-692356.3Little Rock, ARKuttawa, KYForrest City, AR Blytheville, ARI-69 isn't built much at all through Arkansas, so the current fastest route between Nacogdoches, TX and Kuttawa, KY passes through Texarkana, TX and Little Rock, AR, taking I-40, I-55 and I-155 before getting back to I-69, so Forrest, AR and Blytheville, AR are both on the current fastest route.,
I-691212Kuttawa, KYBloomington, INElberfeld, INTesla indicates Elberfeld, IN on findus, which could also serve I-69. An Evansville, IN Supercharger would also work.
I-741158.7West Cincinatti, OHHuntington, WVMaysville, KY* Chillicothe, OH*I-74 is unbuilt between Cincinnati, OH and Wytheville, VA. The latest planned route pass through Huntington, WV. Supercharge.info’s current route to Huntington, WV takes KY-9 and passes through Maysville, KY, where Tesla has a planned Supercharger. I-74’s planned route would actually be to go to Piketon, OH and then south concurrent with a future planned I-73. Current fastest suggested route by Supercharge.info from West Cincinnati, OH to Wytheville, VA goes through Chillicothe, OH and then US-35 to Charleston, WV. Chillicothe, OH is on Tesla’s findus map for 2019.
I-741192.6Mt Airy, NCEnd (Lumberton, NC).It's currently in multiple segments and under construction. Tesla doesn't indicate anything to finish it off.

Last edited:
But if you twist the list around, which "planned" Superchargers need to be built and in which priority?

- Ft Smith, AR would fix a massive gap on I-40, and also I-49

- Charleston, SC seem overdue and its absence causes trouble to people going down to the Carolina beaches and Hitlon Head

- Lubbock, TX was missing from the above list and its absence causes problems in West Texas.

But if you twist the list around, which "planned" Superchargers need to be built and in which priority?

- Ft Smith, AR would fix a massive gap on I-40, and also I-49

- Charleston, SC seem overdue and its absence causes trouble to people going down to the Carolina beaches and Hitlon Head

- Lubbock, TX was missing from the above list and its absence causes problems in West Texas.

Lubbock wasn't missing. It's on I-27, which is only 124 miles long.

I think Arkansas is just a big headache for Tesla. It might end up being easier for them to build a toll road around it.

• Funny
Reactions: RubberToe
I just find this a little frustrating how it's overlooking the non-interstates. I've lived a lot in the midwest, in Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. The states there are smaller, and the interstates are closer, so they do cover just about everywhere. But the mountain west states are huge, with some really large spaces between interstates, where an interstate-only route is sometimes hundreds of extra miles out of the way. U.S. federal highways are some significant major routes in some of these places that do not have Supercharger coverage.