Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA S/W 42.2 19e7e44 but no NoA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi .. just wanted to relay my experience. I sent an email into my original service center reps ( I kept their email contacts) they forward it to a new service center rep who arranged for a mobile service truck ( The first-time I have used them!) to come out and see if it was my car thinking it was from Canada , or Maps, or some thing else. they look at the car remotely and found my maps had not updated completely was the hold up , but also said some time it is the sensors not calibrating completely when they were turned on ( Mine were fine in that regard). first they pushed 42.3 to me over night so it was there when they arrived. They came out and updated my maps in the driveway ( took about a half an hour and did a quick check on all systems and even filled up my windshield washer fluid!) . all I can say for my high way driving this thing is Cool! ( you still have to select the recommendation ) . I took it out right away IN THE RAIN! and NoA sent a few notices that " severe weather detected- NoA restricted/limited" and a couple of " construction detected- NOA restricted/limited" it still worked great with lots of cars and full road mist!. when I could barely see and the exit was coming up it did pop out back to regular autopilot. Send a note to your reps and ask for the mobile service truck if you can and you will be all set!

I now have it and everything seems fine. So one strategy is just to wait and see if the problem will be resolved on its own.

Interestingly enough, mine also appeared today out of the blue, nearly two weeks after installing the update. I suspect the "engineering fix" may have finally materialized and was silently pushed out to affected cars. My cameras are still calibrating, but it was dark on the way home and I expect (hope?) that will resolve itself quickly.

Preaching to the choir here I'm sure, but this is an area where the tiniest bit of proactive communication from Tesla would make all the difference in the world. I noticed today that Tesla has a @TeslaService Twitter account since 2017 that has never tweeted. Why not? What a wasted resource! A single tweet that said "we've noticed a small percentage of cars with the 2018.42 update are missing the 'Navigate on Autopilot' feature. We're working to enable it as soon as possible, thanks for your patience!" would have bought them at least 2-3 weeks of goodwill with me, no questions asked.

I wouldn't have called their 800 number and waited nearly an hour in line with everyone else to figure out what's going on. They wouldn't have had to open a ticket with a mobile service tech. I wouldn't have had to get frustrated with said mobile service tech because he blew me off and didn't return my call.

A single tweet would have made me a happy customer. Would have saved them resources and the goodwill of other customers who are going to rapidly grow tired of 45 minute waits to talk with a human for ANY issue, no matter how big or small. Be proactive, Tesla. Communicate with your customers. This is really basic stuff.

The biggest problem with Tesla related to this issue is not allowing customers to manually request the Maps Download (and firmware) when convenient for the customer. Since for Maps a solid WiFi Connection is required customers can maybe visit a friend if they do not have it at home and then click on the download. And for those of us simply waiting for the push to happen we could request it when not using the car. Maybe they do not want everyone to get new firmware too quickly but what is the problem with maps. Allow us to check for new maps and download to make sure we are always have current maps.

I just noticed I now have NoA. After 2 calls to Tesla and a return call all saying I needed the NEW Maps I got NoA without a big download. I told them that I had 6-7gb download about 1 month ago before 2018.42.2 install. I ask was that not the NEW Maps. They said NO that was on Oct. 11, 2018 and it was the old maps. So they told me to stay on wifi and do not plug in unless I have too. And remove 3rd party apps. So after getting NoA I called to see what happened. The lady this time said I got the NEW Maps on Nov 8 (maybe have download before that date). So I check Google Wifi and in the last 7 days (Nov 4-10) I downloaded 386mb and uploaded 168mb.

Does Tesla have any idea what is going on? Am I missing something?

Forgot to mention that I ask about LTE she said her records show my car completed getting the maps on Nov. 8 on "WiFi".
Perhaps you'd already downloaded the majority of the map files, but were missing a small portion that completed on Nov 8th and completed the install then?

Personally, unless I'm speaking to an actual engineer, I take everything that everyone at Tesla tells me with a grain of salt.

Reactions: bollar
Perhaps you'd already downloaded the majority of the map files, but were missing a small portion that completed on Nov 8th and completed the install then?

Personally, unless I'm speaking to an actual engineer, I take everything that everyone at Tesla tells me with a grain of salt.
That was my thought as well. But my first conversation with them where I explained I got 6-7gb of download about 1 month before they said that those maps were the OLD MAPS and NOT the New NoA Maps. The last larger then normal download was when I got v9 2018.40 (or 2018.42.2) and it was < 1gb. No where close to a > 6gb download for New Maps. Maybe the 6-7gb were the old maps and the new maps after getting the most recent old maps were not that large? Who knows.

Hence why I say they do not seem to know what they are talking about. Remember I talked to 3 people (saying the same thing) with the last one calling me to follow-up. And the last one said that my status was PENDING and I needed to be on WiFi and to not plug in my car (tends to wake up car sometimes) and to disable TeslaFI so that my car will go to sleep (required to get the Maps) for a long period of time. I did that and left my car pretty much unused for about 48 hours and NO downloads to speak of. I checked Google Wifi Stats daily. And occasionally I would check the Settings to see if it was enabled even without the download and that was how I finally found that it was enable even without much of any download.

This morning, no AP features, including the most basic cruise control work. 70 minutes on hold. No resolution on today’s issue and no progress on NoAP.
next time this happens - go to the settings -> security/blah -> car poweroff.
wait with all screen dark for 2 minutes, then wake the car with the brake. that should give the AP system another chance of properly starting up.