Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA S/W 42.2 19e7e44 but no NoA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok this is the stuff that I was talking about

In 2018.7 a3159ea where verygreen says "4. ap2+ cars only, download additional firmware for the ape if it's not already precached. "

Also 2017.50 2275226 where he mentions "if you have ap2, that adds about 310M for the ap firmware download."

And from AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations? "part 1: download the patch between what you currently run and the new release. (BUT sometimes the instructiosn tell to download the whole new image for cid, the full size for 17.26.79 was 843255872 bytes)
part 2: on ape2+ cars only, separately download ape firmware in full. For 17.26.79 ape firmware is 386281536 bytes)

• Informative
Reactions: Bogobec and P85_DA
FWIW when I updated 42.2 the notes showed immediately , the button to enable was in settings immediately ..but actual button in the nav to use didn’t show till later in day ..not sure if cameras were calibrating or what ...but overall not impressed ;) with usage of :eek:

They "come" at the same time but are installed separately. Let me try to find the info that I'm taking about

TMC VeryGreen

Basically it works like this (for s/x, different for 3):

1. Download a patch file from Tesla when your car is scheduled
2. once download completes, apply the patch file to the offline partition (there are two firmware partitions: online and offline) (on both ic and cid)
3. perform integrity checking of the resultant image (obviously failure at any of the steps results in restart from 1)

4. ap2+ cars only, download the additional firmware for the ape if it's not already precached. (could be precached if you update to the same version)
5. display the install prompt

6. one install is started - check the version to ensure it's not a downgrade

7. Update ape
8. update gateway and various blocks connected to it (complicated process with many opportunities for failures)
9. tell ape and ic to switch online and offline partition markings around and reboot
10. switch online/offline on cid and reboot.
11. compare versions of ic and ape to what they should be - if different - display update failed even though cid runs new firmware.
12. display update is successful.

TMC VeryGreen

Basically it works like this (for s/x, different for 3):

1. Download a patch file from Tesla when your car is scheduled
2. once download completes, apply the patch file to the offline partition (there are two firmware partitions: online and offline) (on both ic and cid)
3. perform integrity checking of the resultant image (obviously failure at any of the steps results in restart from 1)

4. ap2+ cars only, download the additional firmware for the ape if it's not already precached. (could be precached if you update to the same version)
5. display the install prompt

6. one install is started - check the version to ensure it's not a downgrade

7. Update ape
8. update gateway and various blocks connected to it (complicated process with many opportunities for failures)
9. tell ape and ic to switch online and offline partition markings around and reboot
10. switch online/offline on cid and reboot.
11. compare versions of ic and ape to what they should be - if different - display update failed even though cid runs new firmware.
12. display update is successful.
Makes sense. You can see two download spikes here.

upload_2018-10-31_6-50-52.png

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
2016 Model X P100D w/ AP2, EAP but not FSD.

NoA isn't in the release notes and no setting in the autopilot options. I definitely have the new navigation as well as the Use HOV lane option, but no idea if I'm on the latest maps. I have a strong garage WiFi signal, in fact I recently installed Google WiFi with one of the stations right next to the garage for that specific purpose.

I did recently have my MCU replaced, so perhaps the new MCU had old maps and the system won't trigger a new download since it thinks I already have them?

I have an email in to service for them to check the car.

I am on the phone with support. He has gotten multiple calls on this. He looked up my car and said the reason for my car having is this issue is because my maps are not updated. I did tell him that my car did get a 6-7gb download in last month or so. I actually just looked and the last 30 days I have received 6.2gb download. But I think I had more the prior month but does not go back that far on Google Wifi. He then said that v9 was that size. I said I thought v9 was < 1gb because I check for my download when I got it. He said he was told the reason you have to be on wifi to get v9 is because it is so large. He again, said the last MAP update to my car was 10 months ago.

Bottom Line he said he would escalate my issue and the MAPS will be pushed down to my car. And I will receive an email when it is done. I hope he is right and it will happen soon.

I guess you need to call to find out what is wrong with your particular car.

• Informative
Reactions: bollar
2016 Model X P100D w/ AP2, EAP but not FSD.

NoA isn't in the release notes and no setting in the autopilot options. I definitely have the new navigation as well as the Use HOV lane option, but no idea if I'm on the latest maps. I have a strong garage WiFi signal, in fact I recently installed Google WiFi with one of the stations right next to the garage for that specific purpose.

I did recently have my MCU replaced, so perhaps the new MCU had old maps and the system won't trigger a new download since it thinks I already have them?

I have an email in to service for them to check the car.
I also recently had the MCU replaced. See my post about needing MAPS (per support call - now escalated). Again, during last 30 days has 6.2gb download total (before the MCU replaced).

I got 42.2 last night. Updated from 40. The NoA option was not available and was not listed in the release notes. I know others have this same issue. After the update I went for a 50 mile drive (using AP 99% of the time) thinking the cameras needed more calibrating. Still nothing. I rebooted and MCU and IC. Still nothing. I did the Power Off option in Controls, waited 5+ minutes and still nothing. This morning there was still no option before I left for work and nothing after I got to work. I called Tesla and they said there were no alerts coming from the car. They said I had the correct maps. I asked if they could tell if all the cameras were calibrated and the tech said he could not see that level of detail. After putting me on hold for a bit he came back and said that a senior tech said that it could take 24+ hours after installing 42.2 before that feature will present itself. So now I'm waiting until tomorrow.

I've read on here that others have installed the update and the NoA feature was ready immediately. So the 24+ hour wait does not make any sense. From looking at TeslaFi, it appears that the vast majority of 42.2 updates have been from cars that were still on V8 and getting V9 for the first time. I was already running V9 since 39.6 (and 40). I wonder if this has anything to do with it?? For those that the NoA feature was not present after installing 42.2, did you already have an earlier V9 update or was this your first V9 update?

I also had my screen replaced recently (last week). Not sure if that means the MCU was replaced or not. I got the new maps download just prior to getting 39.6 a couple weeks ago and I do have the Use HOV setting. If my MCI was replaced with the screen, does that mean I need a new maps download again?

He then said that v9 was that size. I said I thought v9 was < 1gb because I check for my download when I got it. He said he was told the reason you have to be on wifi to get v9 is because it is so large.

I can confirm your original impression that V9 is less than a gigabyte. I've had no downloads greater than a gigabyte in the last 30 days and have moved from 36.2 to 39.7 to 40.0 to 42.2 in that time. NoA is working for me. I'm assuming the actual reason they recommend connecting to Wifi is that Wifi downloads are prioritised over LTE downloads, and the fact that if you don't have the maps, you'll need to connect to Wifi to get them.

I also had my screen replaced recently (last week). Not sure if that means the MCU was replaced or not. I got the new maps download just prior to getting 39.6 a couple weeks ago and I do have the Use HOV setting. If my MCI was replaced with the screen, does that mean I need a new maps download again?

Well, so far at least 3 of us without working NoA have had a recent screen/MCU replacement. Certainly not definitive, but looking like it might be related.

• Helpful
Reactions: akraut