Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA S/W 42.2 19e7e44 but no NoA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, so far at least 3 of us without working NoA have had a recent screen/MCU replacement. Certainly not definitive, but looking like it might be related.
That's not the case for me, but a friend of mine with Toolbox access confirmed that there were calibration error codes thrown for some of my cameras. He also confirmed that all vehicle modules had current software. (Maps appears to be considered a "module".)

So it sounds as if there's two main causes for NoA to be missing: 1) Camera calibration and 2) Maps downloads. But with a big asterisk that each of those has it's own non-trivial set of failure cases.

For those of us who are visual learners, I've created a helpful flowchart.

6cCFZdB.png

As you can see, the only thing you can do is add more wifi. If your car's been on wifi for a few days and still no joy, call support.

Well, so far at least 3 of us without working NoA have had a recent screen/MCU replacement. Certainly not definitive, but looking like it might be related.
Additionally, when I took the car in to have the screen replaced last week, they told me that my backup camera was throwing a LOT of alerts and was not calibrated. After looking into it they said there was nothing to be done and to just wait for it to calibrate. It could be that is what is keeping NoA from appearing for me. However, I specifically asked the tech this morning if there were any alerts and he said there were none. He said he could not check the calibration status of the cameras which I thought was interesting.

FWIW, I called this morning and was advised that updated maps needed to be sent to the car. A request was sent to Vehicle Diagnostics and it could take a couple of days based on their workload.
I called about noon today and they confirmed my maps are not current and that is likely the reason I don't have NoA. Obtained 42.2 last night and drove on the highway for 20ish miles. Never saw the option in the AutoPilot tab last night nor this morning. Always on strong wifi in my garage so don't know why I don't have the latest maps.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I also have support working on my HW2 Model X with EAP updated to 2018.42.2 (yesterday) that didn't end up with the NOA module. No replacement of MCU1 or 2 here either, and the car is always on excellent WiFi, which support confirmed. First reason given was that the update must have installed wrong, but then he called back and said vehicle diagnostics said updated maps were not dowloaded... I guess I thought (incorrectly) that having the 'Use HOV lanes' option setting indicated latest maps were installed... They said a few days, based on workload, and they'll notify me when corrected.

First reason given was that the update must have installed wrong, but then he called back and said vehicle diagnostics said updated maps were not dowloaded... I guess I thought (incorrectly) that having the 'Use HOV lanes' option setting indicated latest maps were installed...

So even newer maps are required than what enables the HOV support... An obviously there is some kind of bug in the map deployment process.

I got 42.2 last night. Updated from 40. The NoA option was not available and was not listed in the release notes. I know others have this same issue. After the update I went for a 50 mile drive (using AP 99% of the time) thinking the cameras needed more calibrating. Still nothing. I rebooted and MCU and IC. Still nothing. I did the Power Off option in Controls, waited 5+ minutes and still nothing. This morning there was still no option before I left for work and nothing after I got to work. I called Tesla and they said there were no alerts coming from the car. They said I had the correct maps. I asked if they could tell if all the cameras were calibrated and the tech said he could not see that level of detail. After putting me on hold for a bit he came back and said that a senior tech said that it could take 24+ hours after installing 42.2 before that feature will present itself. So now I'm waiting until tomorrow.

I've read on here that others have installed the update and the NoA feature was ready immediately. So the 24+ hour wait does not make any sense. From looking at TeslaFi, it appears that the vast majority of 42.2 updates have been from cars that were still on V8 and getting V9 for the first time. I was already running V9 since 39.6 (and 40). I wonder if this has anything to do with it?? For those that the NoA feature was not present after installing 42.2, did you already have an earlier V9 update or was this your first V9 update?

I also had my screen replaced recently (last week). Not sure if that means the MCU was replaced or not. I got the new maps download just prior to getting 39.6 a couple weeks ago and I do have the Use HOV setting. If my MCI was replaced with the screen, does that mean I need a new maps download again?
Also received and installed 2018.42.2 last night, went to car this morning and no NoA in the release notes. Sept '17 X100D, AP2.5 MCU1 updated from 2018.39.6. Rebooted MCU/IC w/o any change. I had my screen replaced late summer this year (fairly certain it was just a screen replacement and not full MCU).

I also have the situation where the release notes display a blank white pop-up initially. After 15-30 second, they render the release notes correctly (still without NoA mentioned - only the updated UI improvements allowing window positioning in V9)

Suspecting I've not received the new maps, but no way to verify myself. On strong WiFi nightly in the garage. I have a call in the the local service center to check and if possible, push the newer maps if that's the issue.

EDIT: Also have EAP + FSD

Also received and installed 2018.42.2 last night, went to car this morning and no NoA in the release notes. Sept '17 X100D, AP2.5 MCU1 updated from 2018.39.6. Rebooted MCU/IC w/o any change. I had my screen replaced late summer this year (fairly certain it was just a screen replacement and not full MCU).

I also have the situation where the release notes display a blank white pop-up initially. After 15-30 second, they render the release notes correctly (still without NoA mentioned - only the updated UI improvements allowing window positioning in V9)

Suspecting I've not received the new maps, but no way to verify myself. On strong WiFi nightly in the garage. I have a call in the the local service center to check and if possible, push the newer maps if that's the issue.

EDIT: Also have EAP + FSD

tech support can verify if you have latest map. Call them.

Reactions: bollar
tech support can verify if you have latest map. Call them.
E-mailed local SC this morning, and got a reply this evening with a "looks like you do have the latest firmware installed", have you tried using autopilot" response. The phone wait times are usually so long I don't bother (but also admit, e-mail replies can take weeks, so it's all relative).

E-mailed local SC this morning, and got a reply this evening with a "looks like you do have the latest firmware installed", have you tried using autopilot" response. The phone wait times are usually so long I don't bother (but also admit, e-mail replies can take weeks, so it's all relative).
I called and after a 30 minute wait, the confirmed I don't have the latest maps and they believe that's the issue.

Any news about IF and HOW the map update could be pushed to your car if Nav on Autopilot is not available after 42.2 got installed?
It’s pretty annoying that we are so close to a new feature but are unable to use it since Tesla forgot to update the maps or pushes the update at the same time.
The car should get the update pushed as soon as the Tesla is connected to WiFi...

I wonder if there's something more going on than just maps. I had some sort of map update when I got 39.6 on October 6. I got the update and saw that HOV was unavailable. A short while later, my firewall logged a very large file going to the car and HOV was available about an hour after that.

Also see that 42.3 shows on TeslaFi on a single S100D with AP 2.5

I emailed my SC and the response from engineering was that my car is only configured with Highway Assist Autopilot and that I would have to purchase Enhanced Autopilot to get the feature. They claim my maps are up to date. I've since emailed them my vehicle quote showing EAP to get it corrected.

First, I've never even heard of Highway Assist Autopilot, so that's bizarre enough, but I have all the other EAP features, such as auto steer, TACC, auto park and summon. If such a thing as HAA existed, including auto steer and TACC would make sense, but I'm unlikely to need to park or summon on the highway.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
I emailed my SC and the response from engineering was that my car is only configured with Highway Assist Autopilot and that I would have to purchase Enhanced Autopilot to get the feature. They claim my maps are up to date. I've since emailed them my vehicle quote showing EAP to get it corrected.

First, I've never even heard of Highway Assist Autopilot, so that's bizarre enough, but I have all the other EAP features, such as auto steer, TACC, auto park and summon. If such a thing as HAA existed, including auto steer and TACC would make sense, but I'm unlikely to need to park or summon on the highway.

Interesting, so this could be the first time we see what the E in EAP means. But there should be a very small subset of people who ordered an AP1 HW car with AP, but received and AP2 HW car and opted not to pay to upgrade from AP to EAP...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There is that tiny group of people, but this issue is affecting people who ordered AP2 HW cars and paid for EAP.

Understood, but people thought there was going to be any difference, and now we pretty much have evidence that it does. So people with the missing Nav on AP feature have another possible reason.
  • Maps not up to date
  • Car configured for AP instead of EAP. (Either correctly as an early HW2 owner or as a mistake.)
Are those the only two reasons we know of? (Camera calibration doesn't prevent the option from showing up in the settings does it?)

Interesting, so this could be the first time we see what the E in EAP means. But there should be a very small subset of people who ordered an AP1 HW car with AP, but received and AP2 HW car and opted not to pay to upgrade from AP to EAP...
That is a possibility, since my car was an inventory car. A 2016 AP2 Model X P100D, so right on the cusp of AP1 to AP2 switch and it's possible that whoever originally ordered it opted to pass on EAP. In either case, I purchased it in July 2017 and paid the $5,000 for EAP, so whatever it was originally ordered with is irrelevant.