Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA Today article "Consumer Reports' $127K Tesla becomes 'undriveable'"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they try sitting in the driver's seat with the keyfob and starting the car?

Read/Watch the report from CR.
They said they could only drive it short distances, and they speculated the reason for this is the car thinking the door was open.

They went on to say that they don't base reliability based on their experiences with the car, but rather from surveys, where several real customers complain about issues with door handles. In another video, CR comments that a lot of Tesla owners have issues with door handles and with rattles, while some have drive train issues. They estimate its reliability is average (i.e., much better than a Benz S-Class).

Read/Watch the report from CR.
They said they could only drive it short distances, and they speculated the reason for this is the car thinking the door was open.
That does not answer the question. Why did they need to use the app if they had the key (or did they not have the key)? And the 2 minute limit they describe (where the car can move for 2 minutes, not that you have 2 minutes to start moving the car) is not consistent with what others have experienced. If there is another "move car for 2 minutes despite any faults with the car" mode then that has not been reproduced by others here yet.

Exactly. I've never heard of any mode or error when you can drive for two minutes and then it shuts off. They must have assumed that from the '2 minutes' stated when you start the car with the app but not bothered to actually drive the car. Still doesn't explain what happened with the key fob.

Frankly most media outlets are putting a similar type headlines implying CR's Tesla is "broke" and undriveable. Poor Phil Lebeau had to defend Tesla multiple times on CNBC repeating time after time that its not a big deal and minor glitches happen on many high end cars. This type of false headlining just proves pathetic state of journalism today.

Exactly. I've never heard of any mode or error when you can drive for two minutes and then it shuts off. They must have assumed that from the '2 minutes' stated when you start the car with the app but not bothered to actually drive the car. Still doesn't explain what happened with the key fob.

I don't have a source I can link to (and I might be completely wrong), but I swear I have read something about the MS restricting drivability if there is a fault with the door, much the same way it restricts speed if the trunk is unlatched or, IIRC, if the door is open.

I don't have a source I can link to (and I might be completely wrong), but I swear I have read something about the MS restricting drivability if there is a fault with the door, much the same way it restricts speed if the trunk is unlatched or, IIRC, if the door is open.

if your going really really slow and the door is open it'll automatically jump to park. happens to me all the time when i'm doing some particular parking maneuvers with the door popped open as i'm lining up.

Could be. Might have missed that one. Seems like they were just confused though and didn't bother to fully test what was going on.