Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USAA and windshield replacement

Huskyfan

Nov 25, 2019
Seattle
I’ve had USAA for years. That being said, my Tesla M3 has a big crack. Windshield needs to be replaced. I went online and made a claim w USAA. I got a call from Safelite. Told her I wanted Tesla to replace. She told me I could have Tesla do it but I might be required by USAA the difference in their cost for replacement at their shops in my area (Seattle) AND WHAT Tesla would charge.

‘I asked her if the local ships could do calibration etc. she said she was not sure, but USAA would pay up to 600 for the windshield. I have zero deductible. I would suspect Tesla charges more than 600 to replace a windshield.

Anyone recently had a windshield replaced using usaa?

novox77

1.21 Gigawatts
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
not usaa. i went thru state farm's claim process online, where I got to choose a place to replace the windshield. Ultimately no place could get a hold of a windshield, so I had to do it through tesla. Most places said that tesla was unwilling to sell them the windshield. I explained the situation to state farm, and they said to go ahead and replace it directly with Tesla and send them the invoice. They ended up paying in full. $935.

todd2fst4u

Oct 26, 2019
Menlo Park, CA
Here’s an invoice from Tesla for a windshield replacement in March 2020.
11C28740-3754-495B-8F39-DF5109AA02CD.jpeg

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
FWIW I went through this too.

USAA said OH YOU HAVE TO USE SAFELITE.

Safelite said "Uh we don't do Teslas- you need to take it to Tesla"

So I did, emailed USAA invoice, they paid in full.

So technically I made a profit on the replacement since I got to charge the tesla visit on a credit card for cash back :)

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC