Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USAA and windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had USAA for years. That being said, my Tesla M3 has a big crack. Windshield needs to be replaced. I went online and made a claim w USAA. I got a call from Safelite. Told her I wanted Tesla to replace. She told me I could have Tesla do it but I might be required by USAA the difference in their cost for replacement at their shops in my area (Seattle) AND WHAT Tesla would charge.

‘I asked her if the local ships could do calibration etc. she said she was not sure, but USAA would pay up to 600 for the windshield. I have zero deductible. I would suspect Tesla charges more than 600 to replace a windshield.

Anyone recently had a windshield replaced using usaa?

not usaa. i went thru state farm's claim process online, where I got to choose a place to replace the windshield. Ultimately no place could get a hold of a windshield, so I had to do it through tesla. Most places said that tesla was unwilling to sell them the windshield. I explained the situation to state farm, and they said to go ahead and replace it directly with Tesla and send them the invoice. They ended up paying in full. $935.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Here’s an invoice from Tesla for a windshield replacement in March 2020.
11C28740-3754-495B-8F39-DF5109AA02CD.jpeg

FWIW I went through this too.

USAA said OH YOU HAVE TO USE SAFELITE.

Safelite said "Uh we don't do Teslas- you need to take it to Tesla"

So I did, emailed USAA invoice, they paid in full.

So technically I made a profit on the replacement since I got to charge the tesla visit on a credit card for cash back :)
Do you have Tesla do it first and then file the claim or use their app to file claim and have Tesla take care of it? Thanks.

Do you have Tesla do it first and then file the claim or use their app to file claim and have Tesla take care of it? Thanks.

Initially when I filed the claim they told me they only pay to have safelite do it- so I had to explain back to them safelite doesn't do Teslas in my area and when you ASK Safelite here (at least at the time) THEY told you to take it to Tesla- so USAA said I'd have to pay to have it done there then send them the invoice.

This was ~2 yrs ago, and a couple thousand miles east of you, so YMMV- at least in some areas safelite DOES do Teslas based on other threads.

FWIW, I have USAA and took the 911 I had at the time to Safelite to get the front window replaced. They use 3rd party glass unless a) there is no 3rd party alternative or b) the local warehouse has OEM and it’ll take too long to get 3rd party. They ended up replacing mine with OEM glass. Other than a dab of glue that I had to clean up, it seemed that they did a decent job. I recommend doing it in the shop vs having the mobile unit come to your house Since they have better equipment at their physical location

FWIW, I have USAA and took the 911 I had at the time to Safelite to get the front window replaced. They use 3rd party glass unless a) there is no 3rd party alternative or b) the local warehouse has OEM and it’ll take too long to get 3rd party. They ended up replacing mine with OEM glass. Other than a dab of glue that I had to clean up, it seemed that they did a decent job. I recommend doing it in the shop vs having the mobile unit come to your house Since they have better equipment at their physical location
Good to know... did they remember to connect the antenna lead from the windshield?

I just had mine replaced through Farmers. I could use Safelite and pay X amount, or use Blue Chip and pay $245. Safelite said three to four weeks to order glass because they do not stock them. Blue chip employee that did it has over thirty years experience. They stock all the glass for all the Teslas as well. I was one of four Teslas in their shop at that time. They also plugged the car into a wall connector while they were working on it. That is my recommendation for the Phoenix area. They have mobil service if you don't want to drive to them.
Tesla needs to make this shop a preferred repair shop. This could help them to lower their prices for us. They really do specialize in Teslas. My insurance under payment is under review, so we shall see.

I have another provider and requested a Lexus dealer replace one of our windshields. Since it wasn’t safe lite I had to pay out of pocket then get reimbursed. You just have to push and tell them what you’re going to do. Most insurance companies are setup with safelite so you don’t have to fork any money out. The average person doesn’t have 1200 to shell out unexpectedly.

• Informative