Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USAA requires CARCO vehicle inspection or...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm being told by USAA that they need a "detailed description of the vehicle with options and accessories" provided for the insurance. I purchased a 2020 Model 3, new, in New Jersey. I provided the purchase agreement but USAA says that is not adequate and they need a document stating all the options and accessories (IE: ABS, Air bags, etc. etc.) Anyone else have this issue, if so, how was it resolved? Did you do the CARCO inspection, or did you find some sort of documentation that sufficed?

I'm being told by USAA that they need a "detailed description of the vehicle with options and accessories" provided for the insurance. I purchased a 2020 Model 3, new, in New Jersey. I provided the purchase agreement but USAA says that is not adequate and they need a document stating all the options and accessories (IE: ABS, Air bags, etc. etc.) Anyone else have this issue, if so, how was it resolved? Did you do the CARCO inspection, or did you find some sort of documentation that sufficed?

No, and I have insured three Teslas with USAA.

You should have in your car paperwork a vehicle configuration sheet. If you don't have hard copy, it should be/could be posted under your account as part of your order process. Check there.

(I would call back and hope I was talking to a different agent at USAA.)

You should have in your car paperwork a vehicle configuration sheet. If you don't have hard copy, it should be/could be posted under your account as part of your order process. Check there.
I gave them that...apparently that wasn't enough either...supposedly it should show the "features and accessories", when I asked to be more specific, they want info like if it has airbags, abs brakes, automatic windows.....like those types of options/accessories. The agent I spoke with even reached back to the "back office" for clarification, still not enough. I would really like ot avoid the CARCO inspection because the last time I had to do it (with my new truck) they were wearing their coveralls from working in the garage (dirty),and I have the white interior

No, and I have insured three Teslas with USAA.

(I would call back and hope I was talking to a different agent at USAA.)

We've insured eight MS's with USAA since 2013; never heard of this, ever.

All in Texas, if it matters.

We've insured eight MS's with USAA since 2013; never heard of this, ever.

All in Texas, if it matters.

Checking the CARCO site, looks like the following states have the requirement:
New York
Massachusetts
New Jersey
Rhode Island
Florida

Even so, for brand new cars it's not supposed to be required with "A copy of the Bill of Sale, Buyers Order or Lease Agreement containing a full description of the Vehicle and all options and accessories." They also say "A window sticker is acceptable to verify the options and accessories, including VIN#..." anyone ever see a "window sticker" on a Tesla at the dealership? lol

Checking the CARCO site, looks like the following states have the requirement:
New York
Massachusetts
New Jersey
Rhode Island
Florida

Even so, for brand new cars it's not supposed to be required with "A copy of the Bill of Sale, Buyers Order or Lease Agreement containing a full description of the Vehicle and all options and accessories." They also say "A window sticker is acceptable to verify the options and accessories, including VIN#..." anyone ever see a "window sticker" on a Tesla at the dealership? lol

My SA sent me a copy of the Monroney sticker. One was also in the car when I took delivery.

Anyone have a copy of theirs for a 2020 M3 SR+ I could use? lol

I'll reach out to the Sales Agent tomorrow and see if they have one for mine.

It lists the VIN. My SA was able to get the on the fly so the have a digital version in the system, at least prior to delivery. Worst case scenario, a carco inspection is free, takes 15 minutes, can be done at a ton of places and doesn’t require an appointment.

yeah I’m trying to avoid the inspection as previously mentioned from a not so great experience before in my truck. But I’ll see what my SA can pull for me tomorrow, otherwise I’ll give in and get the inspection:-/

It must be something from the State, I insured my Model 3 in May of this year on a telephone call from the dealership when I picked it up.

It must be something from the State, I insured my Model 3 in May of this year on a telephone call from the dealership when I picked it up.
Yeah it’s a state thing. In NY, if you want to purchase comprehensive or collision coverage, you have to either get a carco inspection or provide the insurance company with a copy of the bill of sale and a document listing all of the options like a Monroney sticker if the car is new. NJ is the same way.