Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USAA towing to Tesla facility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Any other USAA folks out there? We're having a heck of a time getting an answer to this question from USAA. If we add USAA's towing coverage to our policy, and we need a tow, will they take to to a Tesla facility or just to the nearest repair shop, which probably can't do anything unless it's like a tire problem?

Note that we are beyond warranty, so no more Tesla coverage.

This all came up after a problem in Livingston, MT and we were looking at a tow to Spokane, WA, about 400 miles. We got going after all, but now we're wondering how good our AAA towing coverage is, at 200 miles free, plus $3.75/mile beyond that.

I've always found USAA customer service very helpful. Give them a call.
We did, of course. It was surprising how little they actually knew, though they were very friendly and even curious too. My wife and I tried separately. With lots of patient conversation, it seems USAA will tow you to the nearest repair facility, regardless whether that facility is capable of fixing a Tesla. My wife likened this to being in labor and getting an ambulance to take you to COVID clinic. It turns out USAA uses a third party for towing, and they have no customer service number that anyone could find, other than entering an automated system to request roadside assistance. She did submit an email inquiry, so we may learn more. I was hoping hereon the forum to find a Tesla owner with actual field experience with USAA towing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nolakai and Phlier
Can't exactly answer your question but here is my wife's experience with USAA.

My wife's Avalon hybrid got involved in a Chicago shooting (felon who murdered his wife in Georgia and police not following sop drawing guns and high speed chase, hiding behind her car using it as a shield with kids In the vqr and shoot out). Car got towed to police and then to her preferred car repair shop >25 miles.
btw she had to pay her USAA deductible because Geico doesn't cover the felon because involved in a felony.

Most insurance companies keep a towing company on retainer for this service. And typically, the coverage is <50 miles. I once had an experience with farmers where I needed my Honda Accord towed. The closest dealership had no availability fo a week, so I asked them to tow it to another Honda dealer. That was considered outside my range, but I pressed on and got it at the end. However, the other dealer was only 5 miles further away....so in short they gave me trouble about 5 more miles.

Whether USAA will tow you to a Tesla shop all depends how close you are to one at the time of incident. If you are 100+ miles away, I would be doubtful you would get a tow without some other surcharge or some arm twisting.

You bring up a valid point, it doesn't mean the insurance company has caught on to it...

I have USAA but the last time I used their towing was 2015 with my last ICE car. Back then I could request a specific repair shop within a 45mile radius. Looking at their new policy, it does seem more limited. Hopefully they would take you to the nearest Tesla service center.