Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Usable kWh on classic 60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rifleman

Now owns 2 Model S's!!!
Nov 29, 2011
Harrison Ohio
For a while, I have suspected that my classic 60 has been suffering from higher than average battery degradation. My 90% charge is down to 165, while my wife's classic 60 is holding strong at 182 @ 90%. (my car is a 2014 with 48k, hers is a 2013 with 55k). The last time I had the care in for service, I asked them to check out the battery, and they told me "it is aging really well, and the lower rated range means nothing".

Does anyone know what the usable kWh on a classic 60 should be? I did a road trip yesterday, starting with a 100 charge, running the car down to 17% charge remaining. My car showed 41 kWh used at this point. Running the math (41kWh / total capacity = .83) gives me a total capacity of about 49 kWh. To determine what my battery degradation is, I will need to know what the total capacity should be. I will run this test on my wifes car to get another data point, but knowing the "like new" number for a classic 60 would give me a little bit more leverage if I end up needing to escalate my concerns with Tesla. Does anyone know what this number should be?

To get an accurate rating, you have to do some full charge/discharge cycles, especially if the pack is far out of balance. Tesla can look at the BMS directly which has an internal calculated value. For you, basically you need to charge to full, then drive to less than 15 miles or so of range, then charge to full again. Ideally at a slower speed and let it top balance at full. Then repeat, maybe 2-5 times depending on the exact condition of your pack. Only then do you get an accurate read. But.. that is usually not worth doing.

That is the million dollar question. I have directly asked this to Tesla, and they have not given me an answer.

There is no warranty for degradation, and no government regulatory reason to require it (hybrids have a requirement in California, since a degraded battery can cause the gasoline motor to operate more, hence more emissions).

Good luck. I suspect they will find everything to be "normal", even if your two cars are somewhat different.