TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Usable space under center armrest?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by DaddyP713, Apr 15, 2017.

1. DaddyP713

DaddyP713 Member

Hi all,

In every car that I've ever owned, the armrest between the front seats had usable storage space.

In the model x, the armrests slide forward/back to reveal cup holders, but don't lift up to reveal storage.

So, my question is, what's under there? It seems like a lot of volume that could be used for storage.

Is it already being used for hiding a computer or something else? Or is it just empty space?

• Funny x 1
  2. ColBatGuano

ColBatGuano Member

It hides a computer.

• Like x 1
  3. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Plus that's where the spare rattle sounds are stored.

• Funny x 11
  4. Klaus

Klaus Member

The internal air temperature sensor is in there.

• Funny x 1
  5. KrenGrl

KrenGrl Member

Do you know if there is going to be a center arm rest in the model 3? In fact, where can I go in southern cal to see a model 3?

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

The launch party, probably in July. Until then, nope.

7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

More on topic, I'm surprised this hasn't been one of the EVannex 'replacement' items, to have one with 'more' storage. I think they have one for the cars with no console, but not for the X or refreshed S?

I have tons of little things in the center console of my BMW 328 that I will have to move to either a bin drawer or the glove compartment. Change for parking, small first aid items, antacid, etc. etc. It's like the designers never drove a modern car... :). (Yes, I know, discussed a hundred times; doesn't make it any better, especially when the center console was a recent add-on to the S!)

8. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Couldn't you remove the cupholders pieces and put in some dividers in there?

9. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

Get a drawer for your Cubby Slot, EV Everything sells one as well as RPM Tesla, the nicest I have seen that looks OEM. Solves the storage issue.

10. RPM Accessories

Thanks Jimmy, Ours drawer is very functional, and I honestly use mine everyday. When you open it it stops when you pull it open, and when you close it locks closed. We now have different front finished to match your car interior. Piano Black, Satin Black, Carbon Fiber Wrapped, and now we are doing REAL Leather in black or tan, and alcantara to match your dashboard ! Thanks for the mention, and all TMC Members get 15% off and FREE Shipping in the USA. Dashboard Drawers start at $149. www.rpmtesla.com. Just text us for the discount code.

Attached Files:

• Love x 1
  11. boaterva

Thanks, looks good, and I'll check it out!

• Like x 1
  12. boaterva

Somehow missed this post, sorry! Might be the best idea of all. If you use the 'cup holders' in the armrest for drinks, then, yes, the 'forward console' is a great option. I've got an X for an overnight demo right now, and I'll take a look at that and see how much space there is.

13. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

In fact, you could use the slots the drink holders fit into to put in the dividers. There's quiet a lot of space forward of the opening though, so that area might be better suited to some long things that you can grab from forward in the opening and pull out.