TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

USAToday: "How is the transition to electric cars going?"

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by TEG, May 19, 2011.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

How is the transition to electric cars going? - USATODAY.com

2. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Great article. Thanks for posting. Perhaps the best quote...

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Currious if "Randy Wonzer, 44" is on our forum.

That's a nice light article on the state of things for the general public. Thanks. The ignorance and vitriol in the comments is a bit depressing, though fortunately there are a few smart folks there too.

4. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Nice article. Too bad about the comments. But I really wouldn't have expected much more from the audience that that paper serves.

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I always have to bite my tongue when I read comments like that. It never ceases to amaze me how people insist on remaining ignorant morons.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#6 vfx, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Basically okay, as is isn't spewing FUD, but IMHO the problems with the article are more insidious:

1. It perpetuates the myth that all electric cars are goofy-looking slow three-wheel golf carts. Especially the picture at the top.

2. Their discussion of range anxiety completely misses the point. When the vehicles have sufficient range, the anxiety factor is zero. 100 miles downhill with a tailwind is probably not sufficient to overcome the anxiety, pre-sale at least. 200+ mile range is.

3. Discussion of charging on the road seems to imply it is a necessary daily activity, which makes driving an EV seem tedious and inconvenient. I've yet to charge anywhere but in my garage! (Hopefully I'll finally have a chance to do a road trip in the next few weeks.)

4. Tesla is discussed at the end. Now you can say it's good to end at a high point, but I wonder how many people will wade through all the other cars and stick it out to the end?

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yeah the Myers car pictures was the worse possible choice! Tons of comments on how ugly EVs are thanks to that image.