TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

USB 2.0 or 3.0

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by dubaty, Apr 23, 2013.

1. dubaty

dubaty Member

Does anyone know if it makes any difference if I use a 2.0 USB stick vs a 3.0 stick? It looks like the sticks using the 3.0 specification have faster read times, but that may not make any difference for playing music in the car.

2. GlennAlanBerry

It won't really matter for playing music either way. I seriously doubt that the USB ports in the car are USB 3.0 ports. Having a USB 3.0 thumb drive plugged into a USB 3.0 port on a newer computer will let you read and write to the drive at higher sequential bandwidth speeds (in the 80-100MB/sec range), but even USB 2.0 has more than enough bandwidth to stream audio files with not problem.

3. dubaty

dubaty Member

Thanks! I thought spending the money on a 3.0 drive might be overkill. Id rather spend the money on capacity.