Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Album issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before V2.52.22, I could choose to play an "Album", and it would play the songs in order.
Now, when I browse by Album, albums have become multiple albums because there's a different composer or singer or something. Basically every song from the "Moana" album is now its own album.
If I play by Folder, I get all the songs that I want, but the order is invariably alphabetical order.
I can no longer play the "Joseph" musical or pretty much any other musical in its original order any more.

Does anyone know any workarounds?

(and please go easy on judging my musical taste, I have two young daughters!)

thanks,
Derek

I flipped through the USB thread. I get the desire to put everything in one place, but those 40+ page threads get unwieldy quickly. This was something that got broken in the latest software update. It would be nice if Tesla could revert the change that broke this. It would be nicer if Tesla allowed users to write their own Audio app. V8.0 generally made the app harder for me to use. The audio app shouldn't be rocket science to program.

I flipped through the USB thread. I get the desire to put everything in one place, but those 40+ page threads get unwieldy quickly. This was something that got broken in the latest software update. It would be nice if Tesla could revert the change that broke this. It would be nicer if Tesla allowed users to write their own Audio app. V8.0 generally made the app harder for me to use. The audio app shouldn't be rocket science to program.

Well to be exact, this aspect of the media player "never worked" (I know it didn't handle multi-artist albums when I got my car in 2015), actually worked correctly for a few short, fleeting weeks in December 2016, then got broken again. :(

Bruce.

Reactions: aesculus
Yes, I got really frustrated after the December (pre-Xmas) update. My less-than-100 albums became 900+ albums!

Most tagging (e.g., iTunes) have albums that have "Album Artist" and "Song Artist". Grouping make sense by Album Title and artist, but albums only have 1 artist for all songs? Whoever is the product manager for this obviously have no clue / real world experience on albums.

It's very sad. Anyone submitted a bug to Tesla? If not, I will.

I could probably write one (based on Audacious) in a couple of months which would be better than what Tesla does. (Though I think I charge significantly more than Tesla would be wiling to pay.)

Face it: whoever's in charge of this is not competent.
I bet there are a lot of people who would be willing to write something for free which is a lot better than what Tesla does.

If Tesla had put a little effort into allowing 3rd party development for some of the car's nonessential stuff, they wouldn't need to be bothered with fixing a lousy interface all the time, and everyone would be happier.

If the web browser were any good, and song choice was supported from the REST interface, I'd write a web server so that I could choose a song in the car's PC, which would send it to my remote web server, which could send the request to Tesla's servers, which could send the request back to my car's PC. which is all utterly ludicrous, but at least I'd be able to control the UI.

Hi all - I wrote the following letter to [email protected] - feel free to cut and paste, and email your own. The more people who write in, the better chance this will be fixed!

Hello,

I am a Model S owner and am writing to ask that a bug be corrected in the firmware re: music stored on USB drives. The music sorting routine sorts music files on the same compilation album (with the same Album Artist) into different albums, when there is a different Song Artist on each file. The result is that my 100+ compilation albums have become over 900 albums on the Tesla, making it very difficult to navigate, sort and shuffle music.

The way the firmware should sort compilation album music is the same way every other music player software does - a single album when the Album Artist is the same across all the tracks of an album, regardless of what the "Song Artist" is. In the example below, Tesla firmware sorts all 6 tracks into different albums, whereas a proper music player (such as iTunes) sorts it as a single album.

Compilation album "Greatest Hits" - all files have "Album Artist" tagged as "Various Artists"
Track 01 - Song Artist A
Track 02 - Song Artist B
Track 03 - Song Artist C
Track 04 - Song Artist D
Track 05 - Song Artist E
Track 06 - Song Artist F

Can this problem be corrected in the next firmware update, please?

Thank you,
x

Please write to [email protected] and complain about this issue. The more people who complain through official channels the better the chance this will move up in priority and get fixed.

Thanks. I submitted request to this email address on 2/5/17. I got a reply for a "work-around" using search couple of hours later. I then replied to clarify that I don't want to search but want to browse. Then around 2:23am of 2/6/17 another person replied saying "this has been submitted and is under review."

So we'll wait for their determination and hopefully fix it.

• Informative
Have you tried just rewriting the metadata in your files to make them Tesla-friendly? You can do this on a batch basis for whole albums at a time with a program like Foobar2000. I spent a couple hours yesterday making a Tesla-friendly flash drive and this was the easiest part. Works as long as you are playing them by Album view instead of Folder view.