TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

USB audio for iPhone?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by KensingtonPark, Jun 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. KensingtonPark

When you connect an iPhone via USB, I understand that it charges, but does it connect to play audio? Or does that only work through Bluetooth?

Based on what I've heard in other cars, I would prefer to listen through the USB, since it typically sounds slightly better and is less susceptible to distortion from other radio signals.

If this has been covered somewhere before, I apologize, as I've been unable to find anything using the Forum search tools.

2. Robbo

Robbo Member

Bluetooth only.

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

In the current software release--I can't see a reason why they couldn't add this in the future.

For best quality currently, use a USB drive, which allows lossless FLAC playback. For next best beyond a flash drive, use Slacker.

4. KensingtonPark

Thank you both!

5. Robbo

Robbo Member

6. KensingtonPark

Thanks! But I really just want to listen to my phone and keep it up to date as I add music to my library.

7. panzawho

panzawho Member

Test drove yet again today and brought my iphone and cable with. Hoping it was just iOS acting up... but the cable is only there to charge... pretty annoying but whooo knows, can update the hard drive every so often to keep music in the car...

8. JPP

JPP Active Member

From an e-mail I received in Feb. 2013 from a TM Product Planner:

Apple recently discontinued robust USB support for iOS devices and is working toward improved Bluetooth functionality. Tesla is following their lead. In future software updates, we'll introduce greater iOS functionality like music browsing through Bluetooth.