Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Audiobook Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Looking for help with playing my audiobooks via USB. I've searched the manual and other forums, but haven't been able to figure this one out.

My USB stick is properly formatted (FAT32) with two audiobooks loaded onto it in separate folders. The audiobook files are M4B (preferred by iTunes/iPhone). The car recognizes each file and even the audiobook cover, but I get a "file load error" when I try to play them.

Any thoughts on why this isn't working? Not the end of the world as I can play through phone bluetooth, but this is really bugging me. Is there perhaps an issue with the USB stick being too large, or does the Model3 not like M4B?

Thanks in advance.

Are these purchased files or did you make them yourselves? Purchased audiobooks from iTunes have DRM and cannot be played using the Tesla player. If they do not have DRM, they are just standard AAC files in an MP4 container and should theoretically work (and the fact that you can see the covers shows that the Tesla recognizes the container file format correctly). I didn't try audiobooks, but I did play some AAC music files without issues. One possibility is that the audiobooks are simply too long for the Tesla player to handle.

Are these purchased files or did you make them yourselves? Purchased audiobooks from iTunes have DRM and cannot be played using the Tesla player. If they do not have DRM, they are just standard AAC files in an MP4 container and should theoretically work (and the fact that you can see the covers shows that the Tesla recognizes the container file format correctly). I didn't try audiobooks, but I did play some AAC music files without issues. One possibility is that the audiobooks are simply too long for the Tesla player to handle.

In this case, you might simply need to rename the files from m4b to mp4?????

Even if you could make it play, you may be another problem with USB stick with audiobook. I listen to audiobooks all the time in my car and I know that in my Lexus, I can't do it with USB stick. The reason is that every time I restart the car, it will re-play the track like it would with music. It is fine with music as it just start the 3 min song over. With audiobook the file could be 60+ min long....

I don't know if Telsa would do the same...

Tried an audiobook in mp3 format, you can scrub to the right spot so finding your place is not an issue. Not being able to play back at faster speeds is a killer. Once your accustomed to faster, regular speed is painfully slow. Hope they can add that as it would be great to free up space on my phone.

Do you have trouble with it starting playback on the book before you get seated / situated in the car? I've never tried, just asking. On a song, no problem... in a book with a cliff hanger, you might want to scrub backwards a bit.

I never actually used it for a real listening session. Just put books on a USB and and tested that they worked and what features were available. I’ll stick to my phone until faster playback is supported.