TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

USB-C Cable available for dock

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by gmtom1, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

The tesla store has Model 3 accessories available, and I noticed there's a USB-C cable available so I ordered it. Just received it today, and it looks like it will work with the existing docks in the Model X and S.

It was $14, but worth it for saving the effort of shaving down a regular right angle USB C cord.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  2. KevinY

KevinY Member

Got one too. I tried modifying one but it was a failed attempt.

3. andreasmj

andreasmj Member

Did it fit?

4. KevinY

KevinY Member

It fits, only difference is the USB-A plug isn't a right angle.

Attached Files:

5. animorph

animorph Member

6. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

The Model 3 USB-C cable works perfectly with the X/S premium dock. Only difference is the A-side plug is not a right angle. It's even long enough to reach if you have a fast charge 12V adapter in the socket.

7. tflax

tflax Member

Thanks for the info as I just ordered mine form Tesla to fit my original Center Console.

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-3-phone-charging-cable.html?sku=1116143-00-A

8. JoshM

JoshM Member

9. IT Geek

IT Geek Member

10. JoshM

JoshM Member

No problem. Just need to trim the USB-C end down a bit with a razor knife. Really easy.

• Like x 1
  11. louiss

louiss New Member

Has anyone bought the new kit from Tesla with the USB-c cable included? Curious as to whether the USB-A side is straight (same cable they sell for the model 3) or if it's 90 degrees on both ends. Thanks!

12. louiss

louiss New Member

Replying to my own post to share the answer. I bought the usb-c kit from tesla and the usb-c cable is right angle at both ends. Fits better than the cable for the model 3, IMHO. Not a fan of the tesla side/guide rails, but the ones from Skyline Products work great and I don't need to remove my phone from its case