Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-C Center Console Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've gathered (like others) that the USB-C ports in my 2022 M3LR are only power and not data.

Is it possible to swap out for an earlier model (before 2018-2020) USB-C module and re-gain data functionality?

Thanks.
I purchased from TParts

my data works now. I'm not sure of game controllers as I don't use them (I'm not a gamer)
I play my music off of it.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I've read in a thread that the TParts module might not work with all cars, as the c-units at Tesla have stopped including the connector for it.

I haven't seen any independent confirmation of the neutered harness, but you might want to check that you have the connector before ordering and getting stuck.

I'm lucky as I have an earlier 2022 which has data on the USB-C. But I didn't get a Ryzen or 15.5V Li-Ion battery. Makes it easier for me to listen to my tunes on my thumb drive though.

I've read in a thread that the TParts module might not work with all cars, as the c-units at Tesla have stopped including the connector for it.

I haven't seen any independent confirmation of the neutered harness, but you might want to check that you have the connector before ordering and getting stuck.

I'm lucky as I have an earlier 2022 which has data on the USB-C. But I didn't get a Ryzen or 15.5V Li-Ion battery. Makes it easier for me to listen to my tunes on my thumb drive though.
Music is what I'm mainly interested in, don't really care about gaming. I have the Ryzen chip so I'll check if I have the connector. Thanks.

Took the cover off and I do have the connector. So I guess it's another $90 for me.

TParts asks what type of chip you have on the order so I'm guessing an older module (from ebay) may not work since I have the Ryzen chip.

I've attached the pictures of what I found, the unused connector is all wrapped up.
20220719_105638[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20220719_105724[1].jpg
    20220719_105724[1].jpg
    389 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
The problem isn't just the hardware. Tesla has specifically limited all the games that need a controller to play for the 2022 models. Even if you upgraded your car you wouldn't have access to games.
as someone who has been trying to find more information on this, I have been wondering if I were to obtain an OEM data hub module and have it installed by a Tesla technician if it would enable the games to download vs me installing it. EG. i would suspect that they have access to scan the module in and list the car as having that dataport. so the question becomes, is this done by vehicle capability/vin or is it just something that, moving forward i wont get period.

as someone who has been trying to find more information on this, I have been wondering if I were to obtain an OEM data hub module and have it installed by a Tesla technician if it would enable the games to download vs me installing it. EG. i would suspect that they have access to scan the module in and list the car as having that dataport. so the question becomes, is this done by vehicle capability/vin or is it just something that, moving forward i wont get period.
I don’t know–I also don’t know how to acquire one of those OEM data hub modules.

My May 2021 built M3 LR has console USB-C ports with data capability. It was sometime after that date that power only USB-C ports were installed.
My 2021 M3LR was delivered in Oct.. When I tried to use a thumb drive in the center ports, the car ignored it.. I was afraid of that... That's a dumb idea to disable data there.. Not all music I want to play is on a stream/phone and the glove box port is meant for Sentry so you shouldn't have to keep removing the Sentry Drive just to play music.

Saw this on the website posted above regarding purchasing the data control module: “For Tesla delivered after 6/15/2022, due to Tesla cut another cable at center console, the data module will not be able to restore the data transmission function.“

At first the power-only ports were done as a result of the microchip shortage, but I think it continued to save Elon a few bucks. The whole twitter fiasco is likely to cost him some cash.

Is there a certain date when all cars started being delivered with the charge-only ports, or has it been more hit and miss with data-enabled ports being used when the supply came in (similar to the matrix light saga with Model 3's)?

I can only tell you my car was built 11/17/2021, delivered early Dec 2021, is a 2022 M3P and has full data functionality on the front USB-C ports. I remember it was somewhat hit-or-miss.
The troubling part is in post #15 above yours - stating that Tesla basically castrated the cable, proving my point about charge-only ports being a permanent cost-cutting measure.

Is there a certain date when all cars started being delivered with the charge-only ports

Nothing precise. The latest Model 3 Owner's Manual (Software version: 2022.20 on the cover page) states:
NOTE: For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.