Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-C connector for premium front console - no plans to release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Quick heads up for anyone who bought the just release Nexus 5X or 6P phones --> They both have the new USB-C (USB Type C) connector at the bottom.

Well, I contacted Tesla about buying a USB-C cable to change my current (MicroUSB) cable in my front console and was told that they did not have plans to release such cable... bummer.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a nice write-up about the new USB connector that can connect both ways.

My plan is to design a replacement for the piece that holds the cable that can be 3d printed and be a drop in replacement for the stock one. I wont know what I need to do until I get the cables I ordered.

Reactions: gjunky
Well, I contacted Tesla about buying a USB-C cable to change my current (MicroUSB) cable in my front console and was told that they did not have plans to release such cable... bummer.

Tesla may not have any plans to release a cable like that now, but if and when the standard really catches on, I think they'll come around. Until then...

Since you've read the thread I started, I'm sure you saw that there was a third party cable that almost fit. If I had needed to work with that cable, I'm sure with some modifications it could have been made to work. There is already at least one cable that I think might fit your needs, with modifications necessary, on Amazon. Other than the length being much longer than you would want, and the right angle end possibly needing to have some of the plastic shaved off (and then possibly having to be "tooth-picked up" :) , wouldn't this cable work:

Amazon.com: AFUNTA USB 3.0 Type A Male to USB 3.1 Type C Male Right Angle USB Data Sync Accessories

41YY9WfCypL.jpg

Since this one is out already, I've got to think some company probably has a shorter one available somewhere, or that at the worst one is in the works.

I actually thought of doing the same thing... Let me know how it works for you, we might save on printing :)

Finally got around to designing a replacement piece for the dock. I made it to work with these cables: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013RMG5WY

I've uploaded the STL file here if anyone wants to print their own: Tesla Center Console USB-C Converter - Repables

Just printed it out (have my own printer) so here are some pics of the results. I ended up not needed the two tabs so I just snapped them off:
IMG_20151101_084644.jpg
IMG_20151101_084743.jpg
IMG_20151101_085634.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: gjunky and CameronB
Note that those cables (and most all usb-c's on amazon right now) don't follow the usb-C spec when plugged into a usb2 or usb3 port. They tell the device they are plugged into a usb-c on the other end which makes your phone think they can pull more power than older usb ports are rated for. On PCs you may eventually see errors about ports overheating (I did)... see the top review on the link you sent. I happened to run into the same thing they reported while testing a bunch of usb-c cables I bought off amazon

Note that those cables (and most all usb-c's on amazon right now) don't follow the usb-C spec when plugged into a usb2 or usb3 port. They tell the device they are plugged into a usb-c on the other end which makes your phone think they can pull more power than older usb ports are rated for. On PCs you may eventually see errors about ports overheating (I did)... see the top review on the link you sent. I happened to run into the same thing they reported while testing a bunch of usb-c cables I bought off amazon

Thanks for the head's up on this. I understand the issue here but it seems weird that some users are reporting slower than regular charge speed with it. Hummm

I have a Nexus 5x and don't use a case so I designed it to sit flush. If it doesn't sit high enough you could always shim the connector where it sits on the ledge.

Did you test the charge speed? Are you connecting to the onboard USB port of a cigarette lighter adapter?

Thanks

Highly unlikely, if not impossible. The lightning connector is sooooo much better than USB-C for starters, and Tim Cook has talked about how Apple has only ever made one change to it's connector and doesn't take that decision lightly.

Never say never.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/19/us-eu-phone-charger-idUSBRE9BI0PJ20131219
Common external power supply - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Europe has been a big, big driver in getting standardization across everything with the exception of Apple. Apple designed its 30-pin connector when USB charging was fledgling and bluetooth wasn't prevalent. Its primary complaint driving the introduction of Lightning was to deal with the difficulty of plugging things in.

USB-C and Bluetooth mooted or fixed nearly everything Apple has complained about. Yes, they love their special connector, but standards will likely end up winning the day.

Never say never.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/19/us-eu-phone-charger-idUSBRE9BI0PJ20131219
Common external power supply - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Europe has been a big, big driver in getting standardization across everything with the exception of Apple. Apple designed its 30-pin connector when USB charging was fledgling and bluetooth wasn't prevalent. Its primary complaint driving the introduction of Lightning was to deal with the difficulty of plugging things in.

USB-C and Bluetooth mooted or fixed nearly everything Apple has complained about. Yes, they love their special connector, but standards will likely end up winning the day.

And, to be fair, Apple was a major contributor to the USB-C spec. There's some evidence that USB-C was an Apple-designed protocol that was contributed to the standards body (more Apple engineers on the spec than any other company, Google embargoed details of the Pixel 2 until Apple announced the USB-C-only MacBook, Apple outright claimed to have contributed the protocol and no one challenged them on it, etc.). Rumors here in the valley are that it and Thunderbolt (Intel's LightPeak) were developed in tandem and Thunderbolt was more promising so they focused development there, delaying USB-C deployment.

At the same time, having just revved the connector to much gnashing of teeth from its customers, I doubt we'll be seeing USB-C iPhones anytime soon. Probably will continue with Lightning and included USB-C or microUSB adapters for Europe.