Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-C connector for premium front console - no plans to release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stand corrected, it just said "charging". I checked and it was only pulling around an amp.

So I too have a Nexus 6P and received the same response from the Tesla Store -- after waiting 18 months for my Model S console. The "no plans" seems myopic given a whole industry is moving down the path.

As an aside to those implying Apple will never adopt it -- they already did on the low end MacBook. And it certainly wasn't an impediment when I moved off of iOS. :)

I would also agree with those that emphasize that some USB-C cables being sold can be problematic.

Hey guys, this is an old thread but I contacted rlang59 and asked for the source file so that I could make another model that could use google's USB-C to USB-C cable. Paired with a USB-C Cigarette lighter adapter, it'll charge at 15W.

Just printed it on my WanHao i3 Duplicator

Here's the STL file : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65990978/TeslaConsole_USBC.stl

This is the cable it was made for : Google Store - Nexus, Chromecast and more

YHKsxCt.jpg

f32wFlD.jpg

dNEWZrp.jpg

Reactions: bkp_duke
I purchased an HTC 10 a few months back, and so now also needed to Quick Charge with a USB-C cable. I decided a while ago not to use the mount in the console, and I now have a fairly complicated system that I've described in another thread that I am happy with. (I can dig up the thread if anyone is interested.) But the bottom line is that I was in search of a Quick Charge 3.0 12V charger that would fit in the Tesla 12V port, and still allow the cover of the console to close, as I want to leave the charger in place at all times. I also wanted it to have a second charging port, since my wife uses an iPhone, and I want to leave that cable plugged in at all times too.

It took some trial and error, but I did find a 12V Quick Charge 3.0 adapter that fits the bill, though barely. (The console cover just barely closes, but it does close.)

Here is the link to that charger:
Amazon.com: Quick Charge 3.0 USB Type C Car Charger, CHOETECH 30W Dual USB Car Charger with USB C Cable for LG G5, HTC 10, Nexus 5x/Nexus 6p, Samsung Galaxy S7/S6/Edge, iPhone, iPad and more: Cell Phones & Accessories

And here is the link to the review I wrote about it:
Amazon.com: Andy W.'s review of Quick Charge 3.0 USB Type C Car Charger, C...

If you don't need a second charging port, there is a smaller Quick Charge 3.0 12V adapter, that I have not tried, here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DDJOBKE

Hope this saves some of you a little time, effort, and money!

I purchased an HTC 10 a few months back, and so now also needed to Quick Charge with a USB-C cable.

Meh, I don't really understand why Qualcomm pushed QC 3.0 on USB-C (I do get why Qualcomm wants this but why are manufacturers jumping in?!?). This quick charge technology is proprietary and requires the phone and charger manufacturers to pay extra licensing fees. USB-C already contains power deliveries specs and with the base cables, you get 5V@3Amps (15watts).

QC 3.0 has a maximum power of 18W. It uses variable voltage (from 3.2 to 20 volts) and the devices requests whatever it wants. It does make for a slightly more efficient charging but it's not really significant. For the record, QC 2.0 had fixed voltages : 5, 9 or 12 volts (always 18W max).

USB Power delivery (USB PD) has a lot more options (and more power). It supports 5, 9, 15 and 20 Volts. It supports up to 3 amps on 5,9 and 15 Volts and up to 5amps on 20Volts (that's 100W)

For the record, this is the car adapter I use : Amazon.com: Vinsic® USB Type C Car Charger Adapter with Type C and Standard USB A Outputs For Apple MacBook 12", Nokia N1, Nexus 5X 6P, Lumia 950/950XL, and More.: Cell Phones & Accessories : Plain "old" USB-C so it has 15W of power at 3 amps on USB-C. You just add a USB-C to USB-C (important! don't use a USB-A to USB-C) cable and you're good to go.

For the record, this is the car adapter I use : Amazon.com: Vinsic® USB Type C Car Charger Adapter with Type C and Standard USB A Outputs For Apple MacBook 12", Nokia N1, Nexus 5X 6P, Lumia 950/950XL, and More.: Cell Phones & Accessories : Plain "old" USB-C so it has 15W of power at 3 amps on USB-C. You just add a USB-C to USB-C (important! don't use a USB-A to USB-C) cable and you're good to go.

Looks like this one could be a good alternative too. (USB-C PD compliant with DC 5V 3A, 9V 2.5A, 12V 2A)
Amazon.com: AUKEY Car Charger with USB C & Power Delivery, Dual Port 36W Output for Pixel / XL, New MacBook / MacBook Pro, Pixel C Tablet and More: Cell Phones & Accessories

Hey guys, this is an old thread but I contacted rlang59 and asked for the source file so that I could make another model that could use google's USB-C to USB-C cable. Paired with a USB-C Cigarette lighter adapter, it'll charge at 15W.

Just printed it on my WanHao i3 Duplicator

Here's the STL file : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65990978/TeslaConsole_USBC.stl

This is the cable it was made for : Google Store - Nexus, Chromecast and more

I just printed this on a Lulzbot TAZ 5, but it doesn't fit the Google Store's USB A->C cable. My USB C end is 12.3mm wide while the opening in the print is 10.7mm as printed. Any chance you could enlarge this model a bit for me?

Specs for the USB-C end of my A->C cable: 12.3mm wide, 6.5mm depth.

Finally got around to designing a replacement piece for the dock. I made it to work with these cables: Amazon.com: Orzly USB 2.0 Type C to Type A Cables (Assorted Colours): Cell Phones & Accessories

I've uploaded the STL file here if anyone wants to print their own: Tesla Center Console USB-C Converter - Repables

Just printed it out (have my own printer) so here are some pics of the results. I ended up not needed the two tabs so I just snapped them off:
View attachment 99740View attachment 99741View attachment 99742

I downloaded and printed the model you have. Thank you very, very much for posting it.

My question is what software did you use to model it? I need to make some adjustments, since my USB-C cables are slightly different, and the ones you linked are no longer available from Amazon. Any guidance is much appreciated!