Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-C Flashlight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, you may or not be familiar with the fact that flashlights have an enthusiast environment like cars do here @ TMC...I am only touching on the novice front in that space. With that said, I found myself looking for these two areas to merge in that I wanted to keep a flashlight in the car as an added safety tool.

With the dedicated USB-C ports, I began looking for a USB-C rechargeable flashlight. USB-C (it appears) has been around for a bit in the flashlight arena but USB-C PD (power delivery) capability is even more recent (this is USB-C on both ends of charging cable). You can find out either ahead of time or after purchase that some USB-C flashlights will charge on the stick side with USB-C but still need a USB-A on the other end if not PD. Since I have refresh Y with only USB-C in the storage bins, I was looking for a PD capable device without wanting to use a hub or adapter to USB-A.

Here is a $50 setup for anyone interested (amazon links are non-referral based)

1. Wurkos FC11 (4000K LED)
2. 90-Degree USB-C to USB-C Cable

Notes: the flashlight needs to be the 4000K option linked, if you choose the 2700K alternative, I believe that is not firmware capable USB-C PD. For those familiar with the Temai 90-degree cables for Tesla, the link shows as brand PACEWALKER but when I purchased this, it was a Temai box (and this is 3 bucks cheaper than the Temai cable itself on Amazon, odd). Of course you can choose a cheaper cable but for those unfamiliar, these are great cables (we use their lightning cables for IOS in the back seats).

I've had this a few weeks now and if left plugged in for a few days, I've not experienced any issues (I'm not even sure if the USB ports are switched or constant on). There are some comments about leaving these types of batteries in cold weather compared to regular alkaline but seems warmer climates or Summer are no big deal.

As to the light, its pretty bright and most of these mini torches have a turbo or super bright mode that is great for max coverage but less battery life. If you’re really into the light coverage and style…again, there are many places to go down that rabbit hole in YouTube-land. My itch is not as big as the Tesla one but I did also purchase another rechargeable USB-C (non-PD) for the house and it is crazy bright for the size, this model is the Sofirn SP36 (this was on sale then for $46 and is now my handy house go-to device).

Screenshot 2022-02-26 095246 - Copy.jpg

If anything, these two devices will work for your Tesla and you dont need to do any homework, if not and you're interested keep the PD specs in mind on your journey.

Have fun!

Rivian is putting a flashlight in the door.

I think that's a really good thing and I wish Tesla would do something similar. I'm not sure the door is the best place, but it certainly works and makes use of a void that typically goes unused.

Other similar cool features I've seen, Rolls Royce puts an umbrella in there.

It could also be good to move the phone charger to the door and free up some space in the center console.

Some of the USB cables have a bad reputation, they literally fall apart during use. I have been using this USB-C adapter to charge my iPhone. Should work to charge the flashlight with a standard USB cable.

KIKIMO USB C to USB Adapter

Seems like it would be more effective to get a USB C to Lightning cable?

I had a similar idea and purchased a nearly identical flashlight and a cable from Aliexpress.

Sofirn SC31 Pro (5000k)
Baseus 3-in-1 USB-C Cable

I am much less familiar with such specifications, but I have tested charging USB-C (car) to USB-C (light) using this cable and it appears to work fine. Keep in mind the flashlight has a complex "interface" and I've already accidentally trapped myself in some mode I couldn't get out of.

I had a similar idea and purchased a nearly identical flashlight and a cable from Aliexpress.

Sofirn SC31 Pro (5000k)
Baseus 3-in-1 USB-C Cable

I am much less familiar with such specifications, but I have tested charging USB-C (car) to USB-C (light) using this cable and it appears to work fine. Keep in mind the flashlight has a complex "interface" and I've already accidentally trapped myself in some mode I couldn't get out of.
Thanks for the share, that light looks very decent.