Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-C for Music only - 'Loading Error'?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using a USB-A which has worked perfect for 2+ years in my last car. Now I'm trying to use it with an USB-a to USB-C Adapter, then plug it into the port in the console. The music comes up on the screen, but when I select any song, I get 'Loading Error'.

I also purchased a combo usb-a/usb-c with the same results.

Is there some kind of special USB I need for this car? Any help is appreciated.

I'm using a USB-A which has worked perfect for 2+ years in my last car. Now I'm trying to use it with an USB-a to USB-C Adapter, then plug it into the port in the console. The music comes up on the screen, but when I select any song, I get 'Loading Error'.

I also purchased a combo usb-a/usb-c with the same results.

Is there some kind of special USB I need for this car? Any help is appreciated.
In Model Y vehicles with the new console the two USB-C ports inside the center console compartment with the sliding cover are supposed to support data. You could try turning off Dashcam mode, Sentry mode and removing the Tesla USB drive from the USB-A 3.0 port inside the glove box, install your original USB-A there. Then see if the Tesla can access your music files.

If so, the problem may be with the USB-A to USB-C adapter you are using. If so you could use the older method of creating a second partition just for music on the USB drive for the USB-A 3.0 data port that is located inside the glove box. Depending on the size of your music collection you could use a 128GB or larger USB drive.

Some prefer to use a hub and an SSD for the Sentry mode and Dashcam video recordings, also for music. The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual cautions against using powered USB devices as these can interfere with the Tesla TPMS receiver.

For more robust data storage that is designed for video intensive applications a USB to MicroSD card adapter and an Sandisk Endurance or Samsung Pro Endurance MicroSD card may prove to be more reliable, last longer in the Dashcam and Sentry mode use in the Tesla. The Endurance, Pro Endurance MicroSD cards cost around $25.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Well I just tried turning OFF Sentry mode and plugged my USB-A into the glovebox- same result 'Loading Error'.
I tried mu USB-A and my USB -A/C combo. No difference.

I really don't keep much music on my USB - 5-10 albums at a time. No crazy amount of storage is required.

Thanks for the ideas.

The problem lies with the file format of the music files. I had the same message when I used a new ssd Samsung T5 and my only solution was to reformat all my music files to a compatible type. It’s not your device or the USB that’s causing the problem. It’s really tedious having to reformat the music and some trip and error too but it’s worth persisting.

• Informative
Reactions: mrwug
lol I'm a 53 yr. old Truck driver. Sometimes I'm amazed I've figured out as much as I have.

How the hell do I reformat my music files to a compatible type? And what Type is compatible with the car?