Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-C outlets: only work with CERTAIN cables!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn’t have believed it either!
Just like the title says..picked up my brand new 3;
Checked inductive charging pads..CHECK
Checked usb-c ports..in front storage compartment..dead..rear seats…dead!
Just to sanity check I have a good cable; plug in to MacBook Air (USB-C -> Lightning)…CHECK!
On a weird hunch; I grab my APPLE USB-C -> USB-C (OEM MacBook Air charge cable) and it INDEED charges my MacBook Air from any of the four ports in the car!!
So YES ladies and gentlemen…USB-C cable brand/quality makes a difference!
(FWIW; my USB-C -> Lightning cable was a cheapie from 5-Below. I put in an order for an OFFICIAL Apple one)

Your aware that this is not a "tesla" thing, right? Lots of things dont like super cheap cables because many of those super cheap cables are made... super cheaply and any bend, etc can damage them.

I am struggling with this too...I've tried my iPhone with a variety of cables and USB-C adaptors and hubs without luck. I then followed your guidance and plugged in my MacBook and I am getting power through all 4 USB-C ports in the car.

I have a new iPhone 13 on order, and I suspect that the USB-C to Lighting cable will work. But honestly, that's not what I need those ports for as I have the charging mats. My hope is to use the ports for other devices (such as a game controller).

Has anyone found a USB-C to USB-A adaptor or hub that works?

I am struggling with this too...I've tried my iPhone with a variety of cables and USB-C adaptors and hubs without luck. I then followed your guidance and plugged in my MacBook and I am getting power through all 4 USB-C ports in the car.

I have a new iPhone 13 on order, and I suspect that the USB-C to Lighting cable will work. But honestly, that's not what I need those ports for as I have the charging mats. My hope is to use the ports for other devices (such as a game controller).

Has anyone found a USB-C to USB-A adaptor or hub that works?
I have 2 Samung brand USB-C to USB-A that work. They came with my older Galaxy phones.