Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB c ports cannot be used for media

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently took delivery of my MYLR (in the UK) after having had a M3P for 3 years. Shortly after delivery I plugged in my music USB drive (which has dual USB A and USB C connectors) into one of the front USB C drives, but it wasn't recognised. If I removed the Tesla dashcam drive from the glovebox USB A port and plugged my music drive, then all OK. If I created a new folder on the Tesla drive for my music, the car didn't recognise the music folder, even though the manual says this is permitted. I called Tesla service, and they came to check my car. I was told that all 4 USB C ports (front console and rear seats) are now only set up for charging and not for data/music, even though the manual says that the front USB ports can be used for music. So basically, it appears that in my MY at least I cannot have both dashcam (which is needed for my insurance) and USB media at the same time. I have tried a USB splitter but that doesn't help. If there is only music on the USB drive, then it works via the glovebox USB A port. As soon as I add a dashcam folder on the drive, the music is no longer recognised, whether in the root directory or within a separate audio folder

Does anyone else have this problem? If not, is there a solution? Would appreciate some feedback on this weird but significant issue.

I have a 2023 model 3 where I must use the glovebox USB-A port. At first I created a folder at the root named BoomBox. When I selected the USB Port in the Toybox, I got a very nice display of the albums, artists, and songs. Worked Great. Later, I realized my dashcam had an error. Ultimately, I reformatted the flashdrive. It reformatted and Tesla added the TeslaCam to the drive and wiped out all of my music. I recreated the Boombox folder at the root. The dashcam continued to work, but I can't find my music.

As Sandy Munro noted, wherever you have a connection, you have a problem. I don't want to use one flash drive for the dashcam/sentry and another for my music. It is so much easier for the software to find both the Teslacam folder and a boombox folder. Also, how about some instructions on how Tesla expects to find music on the drive. Boombox is a fun toy.

So frustrating.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike_TV
With 3 partitions on the flash drive, it couldn't see my music. It could see two USB location. When the boombox volume was selected, it saw my boombox files. So I changed the flash drive to have only two partitions, one for dashcam and the other with a boombox folder and other folders of artists, albums, and songs. With that configuration, the dashcam volume is found, but when I looked at the other volume, only my music was seen. The boombox app saw no boombox audio files, where there are very many in the boombox folder. I can't get the dashcam, boombox and my music to all work at the one glovebox usb-A port.

This seems like such a basic and easy feature with virtually zero cost. Why would they remove it? I used USB music all the time in my last car. But that brings me to a question: as a new owner '23 MYLR, is there a forum to post suggestions for software /feature upgrades? For example why do either both mirrors or no mirrors look down when backing up? Why not be able to select just one (i.e. the right mirror in the USA). How would I get this suggestion to Tesla so they can consider adding it to a future software release?

This seems like such a basic and easy feature with virtually zero cost. Why would they remove it? I used USB music all the time in my last car. But that brings me to a question: as a new owner '23 MYLR, is there a forum to post suggestions for software /feature upgrades? For example why do either both mirrors or no mirrors look down when backing up? Why not be able to select just one (i.e. the right mirror in the USA). How would I get this suggestion to Tesla so they can consider adding it to a future software release?
There is a cost for the data transmission module for USB. One could blame the supply chain issues of the last few years or the continuous cost reduction projects that Tesla does.

There will not be any software update to address this in the future. You can buy and install a third party module if you want. Look up USB data transmission.

Reactions: howardnj
Owners manual says it supposed to be supported.

No it doesn't. From the manual link you provided...

Two additional USB ports are located in the rear of the center console (on vehicles manufactured since approximately June 2020, these ports are USB-C). These ports charge USB-connected devices but do not communicate with the vehicle.

• Disagree
Reactions: fhteagle and dafish
There is a cost for the data transmission module for USB. One could blame the supply chain issues of the last few years or the continuous cost reduction projects that Tesla does.

There will not be any software update to address this in the future. You can buy and install a third party module if you want. Look up USB data transmission.
That is exactly what I did.
You need a Data Module and hubs for the glove box and center console.

Attachments

• Tesla 4 USB Drives IMG_9285.JPG
    Tesla 4 USB Drives IMG_9285.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 334
  • Tesla Glovebox Hub Klutchtech IMG_9525.JPG
    Tesla Glovebox Hub Klutchtech IMG_9525.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 216
No it doesn't. From the manual link you provided...

Two additional USB ports are located in the rear of the center console (on vehicles manufactured since approximately June 2020, these ports are USB-C). These ports charge USB-connected devices but do not communicate with the vehicle.

No Mike, I just read more of the manual. Here's the pertinent area (so note not rear as Mike refers to)

1675879360627.png

Key words here are "Front Compartment of center console".

Read in context there are several questions:

1) Why are front ports referred to differently than rear center?
2) What is the definition of "some vehicles"?
3) Does Tesla only have one owners manual and it's shared for all years?

Meanwhile I've no idea. That's why I'm asking!

• Disagree
Howard:

Very nice sir!

So even if none of these console ports work w/data (front or rear) it's a $65 fix. Done!

Question: Does that module return USB data services to the console ports? If so, did you purchase hubs only because you needed more ports?

Props!

-d

No Mike, I just read more of the manual. Here's the pertinent area (so note not rear as Mike refers to)

View attachment 904744

Key words here are "Front Compartment of center console".

Read in context there are several questions:

1) Why are front ports referred to differently than rear center?
2) What is the definition of "some vehicles"?
3) Does Tesla only have one owners manual and it's shared for all years?

Meanwhile I've no idea. That's why I'm asking!

There are no data ports in Post november model Ys in places other than the glovebox.
It says "some vehicles" because the transition was around that time, and perhaps there could be differences in vehicles in other countries. None in the US have center console ports active past that date, however.

Some relevant threads:

This is the main discussion thread)

Tesla has one owners manual online for a model and its shared with all years. They used to update the manual periodically when some software versions came out that changed functionality etc.

Aftermarket options notwithstanding, the USB port in the center console in a model Y built > november ish of 2021 will not have active data ports in any location other than the glovebox. This includes the front center console, and the rear ports.

Howard:

Very nice sir!

So even if none of these console ports work w/data (front or rear) it's a $65 fix. Done!

Question: Does that module return USB data services to the console ports? If so, did you purchase hubs only because you needed more ports?

Props!

-d
Yes the data module restores data ports to the center console.
Yes i have an old IPod, and four jump drives with lots of music. Also IPhone two charge cables

Attachments

• Tesla Console Hub IMG_9589.jpg
    Tesla Console Hub IMG_9589.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Tesla Glovebox Hub Klutchtech IMG_9525.JPG
    Tesla Glovebox Hub Klutchtech IMG_9525.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 177
  • Tesla 4 USB Drives IMG_9285.JPG
    Tesla 4 USB Drives IMG_9285.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: Mike_TV and dafish
With 3 partitions on the flash drive, it couldn't see my music. It could see two USB location. When the boombox volume was selected, it saw my boombox files. So I changed the flash drive to have only two partitions, one for dashcam and the other with a boombox folder and other folders of artists, albums, and songs. With that configuration, the dashcam volume is found, but when I looked at the other volume, only my music was seen. The boombox app saw no boombox audio files, where there are very many in the boombox folder. I can't get the dashcam, boombox and my music to all work at the one glovebox usb-A port.
I am on the wrong forum. I'll report at model 3 forum. My apologies. I'm a newbie.

Recently took delivery of my MYLR (in the UK) after having had a M3P for 3 years. Shortly after delivery I plugged in my music USB drive (which has dual USB A and USB C connectors) into one of the front USB C drives, but it wasn't recognised. If I removed the Tesla dashcam drive from the glovebox USB A port and plugged my music drive, then all OK. If I created a new folder on the Tesla drive for my music, the car didn't recognise the music folder, even though the manual says this is permitted. I called Tesla service, and they came to check my car. I was told that all 4 USB C ports (front console and rear seats) are now only set up for charging and not for data/music, even though the manual says that the front USB ports can be used for music. So basically, it appears that in my MY at least I cannot have both dashcam (which is needed for my insurance) and USB media at the same time. I have tried a USB splitter but that doesn't help. If there is only music on the USB drive, then it works via the glovebox USB A port. As soon as I add a dashcam folder on the drive, the music is no longer recognised, whether in the root directory or within a separate audio folder

Does anyone else have this problem? If not, is there a solution? Would appreciate some feedback on this weird but significant issue.
I have a 2023 MYLR and, as we all know. the center console USB ports have no data capability. But I just received this
3 Port USB HUB with DashCam Reader from Jowua. It goes in the glove box and I plugged both my music USB key and my dashcam disk into two of the 3 USB-A ports. It worked perfectly. Dashcam works & USB music data works. A 256G microSD card is included if you don't already have separate dashcam storage.