Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-C Ports dead on arrival?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried to look into this topic but can't find specific answers but I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death.
I traded in my 2019 Model 3 for a new one that I just took delivery of. Even with adapters I can't get any of the 4 USB Ports to show any signs of life. They don't charge anything or recognize my Flash Drive and Ipod for music. Obviously with the old USB-A hookup my 2019 was a smooth machine up front and the kids could charge in the back.
Is there a specific adapter that is needed? I must be missing something. Sorry to bother you all!

The "they dont charge anything" is worrysome. The USB ports are all power only (no data) except for the one in the glove compartment. The rest of them (all of the rest of them) only provide power.

None of them except the one in the glove compartment are going to recognize your flash drive, and the one in the glove compartment already should have a flash drive in it provided with the car (so you may not see it because it already has a drive in it).

I could link you to a few very long threads on that topic but thats the TL ; DR version. If none of them are providing POWER (not data) thats a service request issue.

Reactions: toolman335
The "they dont charge anything" is worrysome. The USB ports are all power only (no data) except for the one in the glove compartment. The rest of them (all of the rest of them) only provide power.

None of them except the one in the glove compartment are going to recognize your flash drive, and the one in the glove compartment already should have a flash drive in it provided with the car (so you may not see it because it already has a drive in it).

I could link you to a few very long threads on that topic but thats the TL ; DR version. If none of them are providing POWER (not data) thats a service request issue.
I don't think my car has one in the glove compartment unless it's very well hidden!
Thanks for your input!
Really curious about the rest of the ports!

I don't think my car has one in the glove compartment unless it's very well hidden!
Thanks for your input!
USB port in glove box is located here (usually Tesla includes a USB drive already plugged in for Dashcam purposes):
GUID-BB22BA2B-A970-40D0-B177-AA0651D31D6C-online-en-US.png

Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

As mentioned, in newer cars the other four usb-c ports provide power only and no data. I would make sure your USB-C to USB-A adapter cable is working properly. I use an Amazon Basics one myself (and in my older 2021 still with data, it works for both power and data).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGKYXVE/

If you have a USB-C device, it is best to test using a USB-C to USB-C cable. Note in this mode, most devices have power negotiation so it doesn't start charging until you wait a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input!

It definitely has a port in the glove compartment, or dashcam and sentry mode would not work.

Remember that the rest of the ports do not provide data connections, only power. If you are plugging into the one in the console and saying "I plugged my USB drive into it and it isnt working) thats because it does not connect to data only power ( so charging phones etc).

It definitely has a port in the glove compartment, or dashcam and sentry mode would not work.

Remember that the rest of the ports do not provide data connections, only power. If you are plugging into the one in the console and saying "I plugged my USB drive into it and it isnt working) thats because it does not connect to data only power ( so charging phones etc).
Thanks guys!
Man, I haven't felt like such a noob since I got my first car in 2019 :D
In my defense this one didn't come with a manual. The last time I read it from cover to cover.

Hi all!
So it got a little stranger for me.
My kid can charge her Iphone 12 with the USB-C charger that came with her phone on all of the charging ports in the car.
The Android users can't charge at all with the USB-C adapters that we have(I've tried 4 different ones).
Is there a specific cord that is needed to charge an Android in these cars now? I'm so confused lol.

Ditto. None of the M3 front or rear USB c chargers appear to work. The phone display a "Check your connection" message.
Which phone and what cable are you using with it? There are phones that are very picky about cables. If you are using a usb c to USB-A adapter in between sometimes that can cause problems too, as can some flaky offbrand cables.

Got my Tesla M3 SR+ few days back. The 4 USB-C’s ain’t working at all. I’ve tried different cable. Some from seagate and one from Samsung. This is very odd. They’re suppose to work no matter what. Next level ridiculousity!!

When you say "not working" do you mean they are not powering your devices at all? I dont want to assume you are aware, so, forgive me if this is something you already know... but the only USB port that carries data is the one in the glove compartment on model 3s delivered since late last year sometime.

So, if by "not working" you mean they dont read your music drive, or are not able to be used for sentry mode, but provide power to your phone, that is the way they are (it isnt broken).

I mention this because a "cable from seagate" would normally be something one would try for a data drive.

Got my Tesla M3 SR+ few days back. The 4 USB-C’s ain’t working at all. I’ve tried different cable. Some from seagate and one from Samsung. This is very odd. They’re suppose to work no matter what. Next level ridiculousity!!
It took me several attempts of buying USB-C to USB-C high end cables to find one that worked. The charging ports are basically turbochargers now so I assume they need the properly rated cables. Once you find the correct ones it's soooo nice!

Here's the gist. They NEED to be Apple/MFI approved. I did what youse guys did. I've tested all USB-C connections with my Apple provided (comes with iphone) USB-C to Lighting cable. The cable worked and it started charging my iPhone 12Pro. Looks like I have to use only these cables.

Thank goodness that there's a 12-volt cig-lighter in the center console and can use it to charge other devices such as my son's iPad.

I wonder if other brands will work such as Anker and other MFI-approved cables.

Here's the gist. They NEED to be Apple/MFI approved. I did what youse guys did. I've tested all USB-C connections with my Apple provided (comes with iphone) USB-C to Lighting cable. The cable worked and it started charging my iPhone 12Pro. Looks like I have to use only these cables.

Thank goodness that there's a 12-volt cig-lighter in the center console and can use it to charge other devices such as my son's iPad.

I wonder if other brands will work such as Anker and other MFI-approved cables

I wonder if other brands will work such as Anker and other MFI-approved cables.
My family uses their Apple lightning chargers that go USB-C to the Apple connection without any issues. My Android self took a while to find something that worked for me as my family mocked me LOL. It ended up being some random Elfesoul 3.2 USB-C to USB-C cables that did the trick. They have to be specifically for fast charging. Mine are up to 100W and can also work for 4K HD video/audio outputs. Only cost $15 on Amazon. So thankful because I hate using the cig lighter.

As many have said, USB-C cables are not one in the same, some have different charging rates, some of different transfer rates (although not applicable in this situation). Unfortunately even cables from "reputable" companies like anker I find don't work forever. I've had the best luck with OEM Apple cables, their only downside is their tendency to get pinched and split or come apart at the ends.