Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Usb-C ports in front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried this tonight with 2 different drives. No Luck.

Like I said, I plugged my drive into a New Y at the Tesla dealership the other day with the same 'Loading Error', so I'm thinking it's a problem with the cars software? I'm out of ideas.
I am starting to think the drives are formatted to NTFS or ExFat. I am running 2021.4.18.10 and have a single SD card with three partitions:

First partition is for TeslaCam, second partition is for music and the third partition is for Boombox. They are all formatted to FAT 32 and have been working without any issues.

The other cars that load the contents of your drive are most likely running QNX (windows) hence why you’re not having the Loading issue.

Last but not lease, can you confirm that after formatting any of the drives in the Tesla you didn’t format the drive again on your computer?

It would be useful if you could create a short video of what you’re doing to help us help you.

The biggest problem here is that you guys are (more than) most likely better at this stuff than I am. I figure this out as I go. I never even knew about 'formatting' a drive until a few days ago - I just searched around for it and clicked on it. With my previous car(2016 ATS-V), I purchased a drive, then slowly figured out how to load music on the PC, then to the USB. I was somewhat pleased with myself when it actually worked!

"Last but not lease, can you confirm that after formatting any of the drives in the Tesla you didn’t format the drive again on your computer?"

Did this last night on the car, not on the PC.

One thing I have yet to try is putting music on the Tesla USB that is used for Sentry Mode. Can I do that?

The biggest problem here is that you guys are (more than) most likely better at this stuff than I am. I figure this out as I go. I never even knew about 'formatting' a drive until a few days ago - I just searched around for it and clicked on it. With my previous car(2016 ATS-V), I purchased a drive, then slowly figured out how to load music on the PC, then to the USB. I was somewhat pleased with myself when it actually worked!

"Last but not lease, can you confirm that after formatting any of the drives in the Tesla you didn’t format the drive again on your computer?"

Did this last night on the car, not on the PC.

One thing I have yet to try is putting music on the Tesla USB that is used for Sentry Mode. Can I do that?
I think your ATS-V is running Linux (specially if it has Apple Car Play) Anyway, this doesn’t solve the issue you’re having.

Most if not all drives sold are formatted in a format called ExFat which compatible with Mac, Windows and Linux. I suspect the drives you have are either formatted to ExFat or NTFS hence why you’re having issues using these drives in your Tesla.

Tesla will read FAT 32 MSDOS or EXT3. So, formatting the drive in the car would have formatted it to FAT 32 MSDOS and you have been able to add music to said drive on your computer and use it just fine in the Tesla.

You can try putting music on the drive that came with the Tesla and it should work. I would create a folder called Music at the root of the drive and put a few songs in that folder.

Speaking of the Tesla drive, did you remove the drive that came with your tesla before formatting the new drive? If not, I suspect tapping format drive on the Tesla only formatted the USB sticks that the car came with and your new drive is still in ExFat format.

I think your ATS-V is running Linux (specially if it has Apple Car Play) Anyway, this doesn’t solve the issue you’re having.

Most if not all drives sold are formatted in a format called ExFat which compatible with Mac, Windows and Linux. I suspect the drives you have are either formatted to ExFat or NTFS hence why you’re having issues using these drives in your Tesla.

Tesla will read FAT 32 MSDOS or EXT3. So, formatting the drive in the car would have formatted it to FAT 32 MSDOS and you have been able to add music to said drive on your computer and use it just fine in the Tesla.

You can try putting music on the drive that came with the Tesla and it should work. I would create a folder called Music at the root of the drive and put a few songs in that folder.

Speaking of the Tesla drive, did you remove the drive that came with your tesla before formatting the new drive? If not, I suspect tapping format drive on the Tesla only formatted the USB sticks that the car came with and your new drive is still in ExFat format.
Last night I did format my drive in my car. I removed the Tesla drive and plugged my USB into the USB-a glovebox port to format it.

I'm going to try putting some music on a Tesla Drive - I have an extra which has never been used. Any reason I can't use an adapter and plug itinto the USB-c port in the console?

Last night I did format my drive in my car. I removed the Tesla drive and plugged my USB into the USB-a glovebox port to format it.

I'm going to try putting some music on a Tesla Drive - I have an extra which has never been used. Any reason I can't use an adapter and plug itinto the USB-c port in the console?
Since you formatted the drive in the Tesla, did you try deleting the TeslaCam folder on your computer and then plug the drive back in?

I don’t see any reasons why you can’t use an adapter in the center console. I use this (USB C Male to Dual USB Female... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TPS44SL?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) adapter for my gaming controller and also have the original Tesla drive plugged into one of USB-A. The car sees both the USB drive and the SDCard.

I did not, but I did load some music in the new Tesla drive and just tried it. No change. The music shows up on the screen but when I tap any song I get 'Loading Error'
It’s not the drives that’s causing the issue, it the songs themselves. What format are the songs you’re trying to play? Also, did you purchase said songs from iTunes or from any other marketplace?

It’s not the drives that’s causing the issue, it the songs themselves. What format are the songs you’re trying to play? Also, did you purchase said songs from iTunes or from any other marketplace?
I've tried all 3 of formats I see offered - The ones mentioned in above posts.

All of my music has been loaded on to the PC from CD's. I've never downloaded a song in my life.

Just to add to my confusion...

Today I put some music on my phone (Galaxy S8+), from the same PC and same CD's that I load onto my USB's.

Plugged it into the car with the same USB-C adapter, and it works!

Thing is, I seem to be able to only play one song and it stops. Then I need to select another song.

I've searched left and right on my phone to find a way to play the entire album with no luck.

Anyone with a similar phone have any thoughts?

Just to add to my confusion...

Today I put some music on my phone (Galaxy S8+), from the same PC and same CD's that I load onto my USB's.

Plugged it into the car with the same USB-C adapter, and it works!

Thing is, I seem to be able to only play one song and it stops. Then I need to select another song.

I've searched left and right on my phone to find a way to play the entire album with no luck.

Anyone with a similar phone have any thoughts?
Are you using your phone to select the songs or the car interface? I hit the music note on the interface, then hit "USB" and then pick a song or album etc., it plays the next one on the list (if any).