Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-C to Micro-B

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cypho

Dec 20, 2018
USA
Does anyone have a USB-C to Micro-B cable that you have confirmed is compatible with the car's USB-C ports?

I purchased this one, and while it does work when plugged into a USB-C wall adapter, but it does NOT when plugged into the Tesla's rear USB-C ports.

I don't really want to keep randomly buying cables until I find one that works if anyone has found one that works.

Well I took another stab in the dark. And struck out again. Just like before, when I tried to charge my bluetooth headphones, it worked when plugged into an AC adapter in the house, but doesn't work when plugged into Tesla's rear USB-C plugs.

This prompted me to do a bit more testing. Very confused by the findings.

Rear USB-C ports
Will charge USB-C phone
Will charge old kindle fire tablet using both micro-B adapter cables
Will not charge bluetooth headphones using either micro-B adapter cables

Front USB-C port
Will charge USB-C phone
Will charge bluetooth headphones using both micro-B adapter cables

USB-C AC adapter
Will charge USB-C phone

USB-C 12V cigarette lighter adapter
Will charge USB-C phone

Any theories about what's going on with the headphones and why they reject Tesla's rear USB-C ports?

I'm going to guess that it's the amperage. I know that apple tablets require a 5amp adapter to charge and will not charge with the smaller 1.2a adapters that come with phones. I'm going to guess that your headphones require the higher amperage and the rear ports don't provide it.

Reactions: EchoDelta
I'm going to guess that your headphones require the higher amperage and the rear ports don't provide it.
No, it is exactly the opposite. The headphones came with a 0.25A charger and probably do not even need that much. They have a tiny battery and it takes hours to charge them. My laptop that came with a beefy 60W charger charges just fine on the rear ports (although not at max speed since the rear ports max out at 27W).

And they don't just charge slowly. They do not charge at all. I'm seeing 0V on the 5V pin when connected to the headphones. I think that the problem is that the rear ports are not backwards compatible with older USB standards.

The rear ports can power all of my new USB-C devices that are asking for power via the modern USB PD spec, but the headphones don't use the USB port for data, so I suspect that they are using the USB BC 1.2 spec which is simple and cheap to implement (short the D+ and D- pins and you are saying that you are just a dumb device that wants some 5V power).

USB C / USB 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible, but I have a feeling that the rear ports are not. The front ports that are connected to the computer are fully USB compliant and backwards compatible. But the rear ports which are not connected to the computer do not seem to be.

No, it is exactly the opposite. The headphones came with a 0.25A charger and probably do not even need that much. They have a tiny battery and it takes hours to charge them. My laptop that came with a beefy 60W charger charges just fine on the rear ports (although not at max speed since the rear ports max out at 27W).

And they don't just charge slowly. They do not charge at all. I'm seeing 0V on the 5V pin when connected to the headphones. I think that the problem is that the rear ports are not backwards compatible with older USB standards.

The rear ports can power all of my new USB-C devices that are asking for power via the modern USB PD spec, but the headphones don't use the USB port for data, so I suspect that they are using the USB BC 1.2 spec which is simple and cheap to implement (short the D+ and D- pins and you are saying that you are just a dumb device that wants some 5V power).

USB C / USB 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible, but I have a feeling that the rear ports are not. The front ports that are connected to the computer are fully USB compliant and backwards compatible. But the rear ports which are not connected to the computer do not seem to be.
Good work. I don't have the diagnostic tools, so was going on supposition and the experience I had with my iPads. I would totally believe that their not backwards compatible.

It’s the adapters that may not be compatible. Some usb-c to microusb adapters even are -gasp- affected by orientation of the usb c plug if their circuitry is not built right.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Very interesting stuff. The rear ports have more amperage however, the amp draw is affected by the device plugged in. It's possible that the headphone charger does not use any resistance and shuts down when it can't handle the higher amp. Weird if that's the case for that charger to rely on the source to gauge power output.

It’s the adapters that may not be compatible. Some usb-c to microusb adapters even are -gasp- affected by orientation of the usb c plug if their circuitry is not built right.
I've tried 2 different brand adapter cables. Same results on both. Both adapters works to charge headphones and from Tesla's front USB c, usb-c phone, usb-c laptop, usb-c ac adapter, and USB-C 12v adapter. But neither work when plugged into Tesla's rear usb-c outlets.

I have tried flipping the cables over to see if orientation matters. Doesn't help.

I've also tried charging an old usb-micro b tablet(Amazon Kindle fire). Same results. The adapters work on everything but tesla's rear ports.

Has anyone successfully charged any USB-micro b devices from the rear usb-c outlets?

I have been using usbc to lightning from the rear ports no problem for an iPad mini, also charges the iphones no problem. That being said I tried a lightning to micro usb adapter on it and no go for charging. What seems to work all the time is usbc to usbc cables with an adapter to convert to whatever you like. Had a usbc to micro usb adapter and tried on the usbc x usbc cable it just for the heck, works fine for charging. https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Convert-Connector-Support-Compatible/dp/B07GH5KJH2

I found this inexpensive USB-C to USB-A adapter: Amazon.com: KIKIMO USB C to USB Adapter Fit for Tesla Model 3/Y/S/X, Tesla Model 3/Y Accessories, USB-C to USB 3.0 Adapter, Fit for Most Electronic Equipment: Electronics

My 2020 Model Y has two front USB ports: (1) USB-A data port located behind the wireless charging pad, (1) USB-C port that powers the wireless charging pad. That leaves (2) rear USB-C ports (power only as far as I can tell) on the back side of the center console.

I have a collection of devices that can be charged via USB-A including iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Kindle Reader, wireless ear buds, wireless speaker. The KIKIMO adapter lets me plug in, charge these devices using the charging cables I already own.

The KIKIMO USB-C to USB-A adapter is really tiny, easily lost. I keep mine in a zip log bag or attached to an iPhone lightning cable.