Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB cables no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I picked up my LR AWD yesterday (actually, they drove it to me). I didn't realize until after they left, but I got no USB cables. I texted the person and was told they no longer include the USB cables. First the NEMA 14-50, now this? I really don't mind. USB cables are so cheap, and frankly, I only need one. I have one port dedicated to a jump drive with my music.

The 14-50 and USB cable changes appear pretty recent, so I suspect there's a decent # of cars that are awaiting delivering and still have the cables or adapter in em... but this will dwindle as they're replace with entirely new builds that ship without them.

25kq2ic.jpg

Anyone who needs a OEM charging cable, let me know.
I am not using mine.
The first person that contacts me can have one iPhone cable or Android cable (USB-C).
If you want to try the frunk spring mod with stock struts, I will ship the spring with the cable. The spring package came with two springs and I used one of them and I have the other one just lying around.
You have to agree to pay $10 via Paypal to cover USPS priority mail shipping and electricity/time for my trip to the Post office.

I think we need a larger sample size to say they've stopped including cables. People have heard "we're not including USB cables" from lazy delivery people since the first model 3 was delivered.
I took delivery last friday and neither (USB cables, NEMA 14-50) were included. I was able to sweet-talk the DS into giving me a NEMA-14-50 from one of their display vehicles.

So, I picked up my LR AWD yesterday (actually, they drove it to me). I didn't realize until after they left, but I got no USB cables. I texted the person and was told they no longer include the USB cables. First the NEMA 14-50, now this? I really don't mind. USB cables are so cheap, and frankly, I only need one. I have one port dedicated to a jump drive with my music.
May 9 delivery, my LR AWD came with them, 14-50 adapter too.

Orange County, CA April 19 build. I think the cars come with them I just think they get lost, borrowed, what have you and the people find it easier to tell you they are not included (or hope you don't notice) than to sort it out.

Too many reports of people not getting them for that. I think its more likely that the policy was changed, but some cars already had them with them. People didnt start complaining about this until may, so its entirely possible that an "april build" car came with them and a may build -->> doesnt.

Too many reports of people not getting them for that. I think its more likely that the policy was changed, but some cars already had them with them. People didnt start complaining about this until may, so its entirely possible that an "april build" car came with them and a may build -->> doesnt.

My April 2019, HW3 did not come with USB cables. It did come with 14-50.

I can get on board with a lot of cost saving measures but this one feels cheap. Like it cheapens the brand. The cost of the cables is surely minimal (< $1 per car) and you really need to have the exact ones for a nice refined fit. This is the kind of thing that I'd tell people about at parties when asked about the car. "The Tesla? Yeah I love it! Strangest thing though, they stopped including USB cables. Weird."

I got both with my model 3 3 weeks ago

I can get on board with a lot of cost saving measures but this one feels cheap. Like it cheapens the brand. The cost of the cables is surely minimal (< $1 per car) and you really need to have the exact ones for a nice refined fit. This is the kind of thing that I'd tell people about at parties when asked about the car. "The Tesla? Yeah I love it! Strangest thing though, they stopped including USB cables. Weird."

Even at $1/car is hundreds of thousands of dollars a year... (and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than that for apple certified cables... cheapest I can find online is 4-5 bucks per cable)

Tesla's reviewing/cutting costs the point people at the Fremont factory are bringing their own toilet paper to work.

in my case cables were also not included (delivered May/8).
contacted SA, he advised to swing by the service center.
so i did, they got me a cables w/o questions and marked it somewhere.

then i asked them to sell me another set (i needed 2 usb-c), eventually they just gifted it to me