TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

USB Charging

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by kirkbauer, Jun 6, 2015.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

I have a Samsung S5 (micro USB connector) and would like to charge it is my new Tesla. Does anybody know what kind of current the built-in USB ports can put out? Or should I plan to use the 12V adapter? If so, does anybody have any recommendation on a slim and black 12V micro USB charger that will work well in my car?

2. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

The USB ports only put out 1A each. I just bought a 12V adapter from Amazon. It is very short and has 2 USB ports with 2.5A each. They should have one for your micro USB.

3. AllenWong

AllenWong Member

One more option is to get one of the $15 portable battery chargers. They usually have 2 A charging speed. I keep one of them in the car, and have the car's USB charging the battery at all times. The other benefit of this is that it frees up my 12V unlike the solutions above, and I also have a portable battery in case I ever need it.

4. David99

David99 Active Member

actually not even that. I measured them and the output is rather weak. The voltage drops to 4.66 Volt at only 0.7 Amp. So that's just 3.26 Watt.

ModelS-USB.jpg

5. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

Did you measure both? At one time there was a suggestion that one port provided more power than the other...

Mike