Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB connections on 2021 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched the threads and read the manual, but I don't see the procedure for adding wires to the 2021 Model 3's USB C ports on the center console. What am I missing? My 2018 Model 3 came with clear instructions for adding USB wires; 2021 came with nothing. Thanks. TG

I think the OP may be asking where the USB ports are located. I just picked up a 2021 with the new center console design and it took me a few minutes to find them.

They are located in the forward compartment of the center console, on the vertical surface closest to the rear of the car. They blend in with the background and are hard to see. It's actually a bad location. The port or connector can be easily damaged if you drop something heavy into the compartment.

I think the OP may be asking where the USB ports are located. I just picked up a 2021 with the new center console design and it took me a few minutes to find them.

They are located in the forward compartment of the center console, on the vertical surface closest to the rear of the car. They blend in with the background and are hard to see. It's actually a bad location. The port or connector can be easily damaged if you drop something heavy into the compartment.
Thank you! I looked towards the front of that compartment because that's where they were on the previous models. And you're right, the new location makes little sense in that they will be prone to damage - I have an old iPhone and will plug it in to charge with a USB-C to USB-A adapter and than the USB-A to lightning cord. That stuff will be hanging out a ways. I wonder if some clever owners will find a way to use the power supplied to the wireless charger to put in a more forward adapter?

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
Thank you! I looked towards the front of that compartment because that's where they were on the previous models.
And you're right, the new location makes little sense in that they will be prone to damage
- I have an old iPhone and will plug it in to charge with a USB-C to USB-A adapter and than the USB-A to lightning cord.
That stuff will be hanging out a ways.
I wonder if some clever owners will find a way to use the power supplied to the wireless charger to put in a more forward adapter?
I would use some plugs with the cable making a 90 degree angle with the plug so the USB cables would be flushing the compartment wall.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I still don't see any USB port in my 2021 Model 3. I checked the front console on the rear wall and only see 2 USB-C ports and no USB port.

Where is the USB port so I can use custom BoomBox sounds?

@rexmakesbeats well technically USB-C ports are in fact USB ports, but it seems you're asking where the USB-A port(s) are. On the newer vehicles like yours, the only USB-A port is the one inside the glove box, which would have come with a Tesla-branded USB stick pre-installed for your Sentry and Tesla Cam recordings.

For Boombox sounds, does it load the custom sounds from the drive into internal storage, or does it always need the USB drive present every time the clip is played? If the latter, your safest bet may be to pick up a USB-A female to USB-C male adapter and use one of the two ports in the front console.

Reactions: jjrandorin
@rexmakesbeats well technically USB-C ports are in fact USB ports, but it seems you're asking where the USB-A port(s) are. On the newer vehicles like yours, the only USB-A port is the one inside the glove box, which would have come with a Tesla-branded USB stick pre-installed for your Sentry and Tesla Cam recordings.

For Boombox sounds, does it load the custom sounds from the drive into internal storage, or does it always need the USB drive present every time the clip is played? If the latter, your safest bet may be to pick up a USB-A female to USB-C male adapter and use one of the two ports in the front console.
I don't have a USB-C drive so I have not even been able to test out the custom boombox sounds. I believe the USB drive in the glovebox is specifically for TeslaCam, so I did not try loading the custom sound onto that drive. Guess I will just need to pickup a USB-C drive

I don't have a USB-C drive so I have not even been able to test out the custom boombox sounds. I believe the USB drive in the glovebox is specifically for TeslaCam, so I did not try loading the custom sound onto that drive. Guess I will just need to pickup a USB-C drive
or a USB C to A adapter.

@rexmakesbeats you could test it out temporarily by removing the Tesla stick from the glovebox and putting in your boombox drive. And as I mentioned, you should be able to use a USB-A to USB-C adapter with your existing drive (should be quite a bit cheaper than picking up a new drive) should you decide to keep using it and want to re-enable Sentry and Dash Cam.

Technically I think if you have a large USB-A drive you could do all 3 things (TeslaCam, Sentry, and Boombox) with your existing drive in the glovebox but I'm not sure of the specifics (i.e. do you just need a folder for boombox, or does it need its own partition separate from Sentry/TeslaCam?). Maybe someone here can provide some hands-on knowledge.

The ports work with a hub as well, I plugged in a USB-C hub into one of the center console ports - it has a 3.1 USB-A, a 3.0 USB-A, a USB-C and an HDMI port, plugged a USB-A thumbdrive in with music, worked great, sounds awesome. I dragged the files directly out of iTunes, ACC format, worked as expected (no album art but I understand that's a long standing issue).

FWIW, these also work and are great because a straight adapter with a USB-A thumb drive will stick out like a few inches, and seems like a great way to break something:

1624468829552.png

Keeps the connection at the port pretty flush and the drive out of the way.