TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

USB control by artist

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by sethgodin, Jan 5, 2020.

1. sethgodin

sethgodin Member

Forgive me but can't find this anywhere...

I have my USB drive working great, thanks to the detailed instructions on this forum.

Now, I see, for example:

ARTISTS ---> ART BLAKEY and then 8 albums

How do I tell the car to randomly play from among the 8?

If I drill into one of the albums, I can hit a track and then it will play the songs from THAT album.

But as far as I can tell, the only purpose of the ARTIST sort is to help you find an album, not an artist.

That can't be true!

What am I missing?

Thanks.

2. mxnym

mxnym Member

USB media worked OK on the S, it has never worked very well on the X at all. While I would love to be wrong, as I would love to be able to do what you are asking, as far as I can tell, what you are missing is Tesla's ineptitude and/or disinterest in playing local media.

3. mxnym

mxnym Member

So I took another look on my way home, because I thought there was a "Folder" option in addition to the "Artist" option and others. I remembered correctly, and you may be able to do what you want by using that option...

Assuming you don't care about album art or your album art is embedded in the MP3 tags, you could put all songs by each artist in a folder with that artist's name forgoing subfolders for albums. At this point, you could use the "Folder" option to pick a song and PRESUMABLY (I haven't tested this) play all songs in that folder at random. Assuming the other options use the MP3 tags to populate, this wouldn't break any of the other existing functionality.