Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB controller for games

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well my Nintendo Switch Pro controller via usb lead managed to 'Coin in' but failed with controls.

I can confiorm that the PS4 Controller via USB works fine though.
Couldn’t get Switch Pro, PlayStation 4 or Xbox 360, with usb cable to link...but car ‘found’ Xbox OneS controller (without usb cable) immediately and controls worked across all games. Sheer luck I think.

This one works.....
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191004160925106_COVER.jpg

This one is a nice cheap one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KVBL4U2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wireless so I don't have to muck about with a USB cable, just put the dongle in a USB hub to keep the USB ports free.
Uses AA batteries. I just replace the batteries when empty. I don't play often enough to keep a rechargeable controller workable.

I bought this and it works peachy including with Cuphead. Asteroids, Beach Buggy also working perfectly. Haven't tried the others.

Reactions: Tattersky
I've tried a PS4 controller and an Xbox One controller, both wired via USB front ports (both sides) and neither have worked.

It seems something is not working on the car side. I'm running 2019.40.2.1 and it also didn't work on the previous version. Any ideas?

(For the kids sake...honest)

Reactions: drewpost
I've tried a PS4 controller and an Xbox One controller, both wired via USB front ports (both sides) and neither have worked.

It seems something is not working on the car side. I'm running 2019.40.2.1 and it also didn't work on the previous version. Any ideas?

(For the kids sake...honest)

Do your dashcam and usb music work ok through those ports? If so then I would have thought the data connection is ok through those USB ports. If not then...

Do your dashcam and usb music work ok through those ports? If so then I would have thought the data connection is ok through those USB ports. If not then...

Yes dash cam works fine so I don’t think it’s a fault with the USB connectors. I will try a soft reboot but I’m seeing very mixed responses on the forums about what works & what doesn’t which suggests there’s another factor at play.

Yes dash cam works fine so I don’t think it’s a fault with the USB connectors. I will try a soft reboot but I’m seeing very mixed responses on the forums about what works & what doesn’t which suggests there’s another factor at play.
Did you ever find a fix for this? I went to show this feature off with a friend and it wouldn’t work. If tried both Xbox and playstation controllers with multiple cables, soft rebooted etc...nothing seems to work.

Did you ever find a fix for this? I went to show this feature off with a friend and it wouldn’t work. If tried both Xbox and playstation controllers with multiple cables, soft rebooted etc...nothing seems to work.
Not a solution as such but a diagnosis.

There are 2 versions of the PS4 controller. V1 doesn’t work but V2 does. The easiest way to tell if you have a V2 controller is that it has a very thin strip of light that shines through on the touchpad (so you can see which colour controller you’re using without having to tilt to look at the front).

I had both types at home and had only tried the V1 controller. I saw a YouTube video that mentioned the compatibility in passing so I tried a V2 controller and it worked first time.

The Xbox controller I tried was an unofficial one but supposed to be compatible with Xbox One. Smyths Toys kindly let me return it after I explained it’s not compatible with my gaming system.
“What gaming system?”
“Errr...it’s a car” ;)

Not a solution as such but a diagnosis.

There are 2 versions of the PS4 controller. V1 doesn’t work but V2 does. The easiest way to tell if you have a V2 controller is that it has a very thin strip of light that shines through on the touchpad (so you can see which colour controller you’re using without having to tilt to look at the front).

I had both types at home and had only tried the V1 controller. I saw a YouTube video that mentioned the compatibility in passing so I tried a V2 controller and it worked first time.

The Xbox controller I tried was an unofficial one but supposed to be compatible with Xbox One. Smyths Toys kindly let me return it after I explained it’s not compatible with my gaming system.
“What gaming system?”
“Errr...it’s a car” ;)
I tried 2 different official gaming controllers and none of them worked. Thanks for the response though!

The 8bitdo SN30 bluetooth controller works well and takes up much less space than the xbox-style controllers.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GKLG3ZP

You need a bluetooth dongle for each controller (i.e. two dongles if you have two controllers)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0786JC6VW

I'm using this neat little USB hub which allows two dongles to be side-by-side beneath the USB sockets in the model 3.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FQ1H6SB

Note that these controllers have the Nintendo button labels not the Xbox labels. So
X is Y
Y is X
A is B
B is A

I simply took a sharpie and relabelled the buttons.

The controller works fine for 1 and 2 player Beach Buggy Racer and for Cuphead.

On first use, set the controller's mode to Windows (Xinput) by pressing Start+X.
You can hold Start for 8 seconds to turn off, or they do so automatically after 15 minutes of no use, there is no need to disconnect the dongle.

• Informative
Reactions: MacPaul and rotor2k