Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB corruption for dashcam recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted that more for this talk about GPT maybe helping with the corruption.

I formatted using my MAC with a new 128GB SanDisk. No corruption since upgrading to v9 on friday.

I KNEW as soon as i said something... Mine got the grey X today..

One other question....I did notice when the record did work the date and time on the file was all wrong "File Created was indicated as 12:30 10/16/2018 but was actually recorded 10/17/2018 at around 6 pm. Anyone no how to set the date?

Its recorded in GMT. Its the universal time format so it doesnt matter where in the world you are. You have to adjust GMT to your time zone.

So I last night reformatted my Sandisk Thumb-drive using the full format instead of the "Quick Format" and I installed it into the car, it worked. i then turned it off by touching and holding the icon. This morning I got in the car and "stated it" the record mode showed off. I touched and held the icon and it turned on. When I arrived at work I again turned it off. At the end of the day I got in the car and turned it on after putting the car in drive. appeared to work. Drove home and turned it off. I think the key here is to turn it on and off when starting and shutting off the car. I suspect the software does not close the file(s) or the drive properly when power is just removed mid write. We shall see.

So I last night reformatted my Sandisk Thumb-drive using the full format instead of the "Quick Format" and I installed it into the car, it worked. i then turned it off by touching and holding the icon. This morning I got in the car and "stated it" the record mode showed off. I touched and held the icon and it turned on. When I arrived at work I again turned it off. At the end of the day I got in the car and turned it on after putting the car in drive. appeared to work. Drove home and turned it off. I think the key here is to turn it on and off when starting and shutting off the car. I suspect the software does not close the file(s) or the drive properly when power is just removed mid write. We shall see.
I’ve been on a half dozen drives and been trying the long-hold-gray-dot when I go to Park, and it’s been a lot more stable than when it was getting corrupted after each restart (ie. after door close & reopens). To add some details:

Sandisk 128GB UltraFit USB 3.1
MacBook>DiskUtility>Partition
Partition TeslaCam: 96GB (FAT)
Partition TeslaMusic: 32GB (FAT)

Next steps: Later tonight I’ll try to unplug the USB drive, dump the clips, then reinsert to see if there’s any corruption afterward.

• Helpful
Reactions: SpudLime
My advice: Forget about it until Tesla fixes the software. The dashcam doesn't work in the present version beyond a brief time after a newly formatted drive is inserted. I imagine Tesla knows this by now and it's in the queue for revision.

That sounds like a plan :)
I reformatted mine twice - it worked for a bit and then stopped.
Checked the recorded footage and it looks good.
Tesla needs a little UI where it can fix disk, format dist, check recorded footage, create recording folder, etc...

Orob best you can do is just accept you will have to reformat every so often.

If you have a second stick, I am thinking about having a second one ready for when I get the grey x so that I will have a working one for that day and reformat the corrupt one as a rotation.

Reactions: badronald
Same problem here. Reported to Tesla service and a ticket has been opened. If enough oither do this they will find a way to fix it.

They need to do a proper unmount when powering down. Other devices need to worry about battery backup to complete the unmount before power goes away, but Tesla doesn't!

Having same issue in my 3. Multiple usb drives, including “extreme” condition drive. Fixing error in my computer seems to make them usable again for a bit, then the red x of death returns. The video files they do record are great, just what I hoped for.
How do we “report to Tesla service” and “open a ticket”?
( I don’t want to wait an hour on hold , is there a way to email them)

I'm having this problem as well. It worked perfectly for two days, then the X appeared in places of the red record light. The drive also showed a bunch of files recorded outside the TeslaCam folder. I tried two 32GB drives, one formatted MS-Dos FAT on Mac, and the other FAT32 on a PC. Now, neither will even register on the touch screen. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Having same issue in my 3. Multiple usb drives, including “extreme” condition drive. Fixing error in my computer seems to make them usable again for a bit, then the red x of death returns. The video files they do record are great, just what I hoped for.
How do we “report to Tesla service” and “open a ticket”?
( I don’t want to wait an hour on hold , is there a way to email them)

I'm sure they know about this. Not sure how high a priority they're giving it. Given all the stuff they need to work on, and their limited personnel, I think you should save your calls and emails for things that affect driving or problems specifically with your car.