Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB cuts out when connectivity changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cyclone

Cyclonic Member ((.oO))
Jan 12, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I am on 8.1 / 17.24.28 and found an interesting oddity while exploring Pisgah National Forest this past weekend. As we drove into the mountain, I knew the signal would eventually cut out. Sure enough, LTE went to 3G, 3G went to Edge, Edge went to no connectivity. This wasn't a big deal as I was focused on finding a parking space, so I didn't pay attention to my tunes.

On the way off the mountain, I did notice something weird though. I played some songs from USB so I wouldn't have to deal w/ Slacker having no connection and streaming from my phone was a no-go as it also had no (Verizon) service. All went well until about half way down the mountain. The music just stopped for maybe 10-15 seconds, then the song restarted. A few seconds later, the same. Over and over again. I picked a different song and the same would happen. Finally I just happened to not have the Nav up when it happened and I noticed it timed perfectly to when the car would gain connectivity or switch from Edge, 3G, or LTE to one of the others. We ended up just shutting off the music for the next 10 minutes until the Nav maps started to draw.

Anyone else noticed such weird behavior?

And since no thread should be without pictures...
IMG_0282.JPGIMG_0247.JPGIMG_0238.JPG

Last edited:
Love the pictures of sliding rock! I had relatives in the area when I was a kid. Boy, that water is cold.

Anyway, I've noticed something similar every morning when I leave the house. Most of the time I use FM radio, and it cuts out for a few seconds when the car switches from WiFi to LTE. Probably something silly in the code that routes everything through some routine that expects connectivity.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone