Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB device erasing home address

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019/20 Model 3 x 3, but it could apply to other Teslas with Sentry mode.

Sentry mode constantly greys out because the home address gets erased. Tesla service claims that my model 3 home address is getting erased because of a malfunction caused by a non-Tesla recommended USB device. And with that, they asked me to close the service request. Tesla is done with the problem!

Wait, Tesla! I have so many more questions. How can I prevent it from happening with other devices that I buy?

Is Tesla’s recommended memory stick list really so important that it is Canon? That I cannot even try without going way off spec a high endurance WD SD chip that Tesla has not yet listed?

How technically does a USB device (which my Model 3 is obviously designed to accommodate) interfere with something so important in the Model 3 computer that it erases home address and inhibits Sentry Mode?

I am looking to satisfy my technical curiosity and also to try USB devices in future without worrying too much about losing Sentry Mode.

There is some preliminary evidence that Tesla is correct in their diagnosis, because moving the devices to 2 other Model 3s resulted in the problem being noticed within 24 hours in one of them but not the other. I will do more isolation experiments to see if one combination, model, or device causes the malfunction.

In the 3 2019/2020 Model 3s where the problem occurred, I was using:
Taptes wireless phone dock with 4 coils and Y-adapter to 1 hub USB port to leave others open.
JEDA USB Hub for 2019 Model 3.
Rocket SD USB adapter (very tiny).
Western Digital high performance micro SD chip. 128GB. Newish.

Now I am running a USB extension soldered into the Jeda hub to the glove box, with 2 partitions to prevent formatting from the UI, but that is beside the point other than that I will continue the tests with that setup.

Last edited:
You got a bad service person. That's a lazy reply. But there may well be a problem with one of your devices that you can easily sort out, by narrowing down the possible bad actors. Try just using one device for a day - if no problem, add a second. Repeat until you find the culprit. Two devices you use that i've had problems with are the jeda hub, which had an intermittent contact; and the taptes charger, which drew too much current.

You mention USB extensions, soldered - why solder it?

Reactions: lUtriaNt