Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Device Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one format it in the car? I don’t remember seeing that option anywhere.

There is a button that says format.

Here is something I found when i googled the instructions because I couldnt remember the exact steps:

[New feature] How to format a USB drive in a Tesla

1. Plug in your USB in the car
  2. Go to Controls > Safety > Security
  3. Scrool down untill «FORMAT USB DEVICE» and tap on it (see image below)
  4. Confirm by tapping on’FORMAT’

Can you clarify what you mean by the stock Tesla hub? Are you saying that the built in front USB ports in your Model Y are how you're connected? What wireless charging pad do you use (stock Tesla - thought the new one was hard wired- or third party)?

This is getting more interesting by the minute but I'm becoming more hopeful that it will be resolved via firmware update (as soon as Tesla knows about it) since it sounds wide spread.

Sorry for the slow response... no hub, just the stock Tesla ports and stock Tesla wireless charging (although I don't use it).

Sorry for the slow response... no hub, just the stock Tesla ports and stock Tesla wireless charging (although I don't use it).

Interesting. Sure sounds like this is a firmware issue Tesla will need to resolve regardless of third party hubs and that should, hopefully, speed it up.

Sure wish they were doing a bit more bug squashing before rolling out updates. Even though some of the bugs have impacted safety (e.g., loss of voice commands to tune radio), I’m glad I haven’t heard of any which directly impacted basic “car” functions (yet).

Jeda hub here, having same problem. Using a samsung SSD for storage.

I got the same error message today with same setup. How to resolve it ?

Attachments

• 20201217_195841.jpg
    20201217_195841.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 172
I've also been experiencing this problem with the Jeda Hub. I don't want to fry my Samsung SSD, so I've disconnected the Hub and now have the SSD plugged directly into the Tesla USB Port. Here, btw, is a photo of the message. I already miss the wireless charging!
Tesla USB Malfunction.jpg

If you do have the Jeda Hub, try removing it and letting Jeda know. I'm hoping that they'll want to lobby Tesla for an update which doesn't break their product considering their onboard electronics probably provide some protections to Tesla as well as Jeda and the end user.

I have no bub plugged in. Only a drive for dashcam, not even a phone for charging. I had noticed that my dashcam was disconnecting and reconnecting frequently for a few months, so I'm thinking there's something wrong with the hub or there's been an update that introduced a watchdog that's causing the hub to be reset.

I have this also on 2020.48.10. I have a Jeda hub and SSD. I have two volumes on the drive. One used for the Tesla cam and the other contains my music. Music still plays and my car video still works. It’s kind of annoying to have the error message all the time. You can swipe it to the left to make it less obtrusive. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Discussion about this on TOO in a thread about 2020.48. Do you have a Jeda Hub installed?

From what I've determined through trial and error then had confirmed by another owner who'd been dealing with it a bit longer, there's some conflict with 2020.48 and the Jeda Hub's onboard electronics which permit all 5 ports (pre 2020, anyway) to do both power and data. While removing my SSD (or even my phone cable) would fix it momentarily, as soon as I plugged anything back in, the error would appear until I removed the Hub and plugged those things directly into the Tesla ports.
If you do have the Jeda Hub, try removing it and letting Jeda know. I'm hoping that they'll want to lobby Tesla for an update which doesn't break their product considering their onboard electronics probably provide some protections to Tesla as well as Jeda and the end user.

I have the exact same situation. I was getting USB Device Error messages .. even thought the USB drive appeared to be working correctly (saving and displaying clips). I tried three USB devices in all: an SSD, a thumb drive, and a Micro SD card, all of which had worked previously. Had the same situation with all three. This was only since the 2020.48.10 update.

This evening a tried taking my Jeda hub out of the loop, and that worked. The USB device (Micro SD) is working and not reporting errors, and my Nomad charger is connected to the other port.

I'll submit this as a report to Jeda. Hopefully they're working with Tesla on a solution so that they don't have to replace every device!

Interesting. Sure sounds like this is a firmware issue Tesla will need to resolve regardless of third party hubs and that should, hopefully, speed it up.

I would expect Tesla to just point to the manual that say that you are not to use a hub:

NOTE: Do not connect multiple devices using a USB hub. This can prevent connected devices from charging or from being recognized by Media Player, Sentry Mode, Dashcam, etc.

I'm having the same issue. Called Tesla. Friendly guy but pointed me to "the problem must be with your thumb drive". IF you buy a new one, there is an option on the menu to have the car format the drive. That is what is referenced above. Just poke through the menus and you'll find it.
....and I am not using a "HUB"--Jeda or not. Just standard what came with car in late 2018. Never had a problem until the latest software update either. I've had the thumb drive for almost 2 years now without any issues.

....and I am not using a "HUB"--Jeda or not. Just standard what came with car in late 2018. Never had a problem until the latest software update either. I've had the thumb drive for almost 2 years now without any issues.
...One more thing, we got the error message to go away by doing a "soft" reboot--holding both scroll wheels down at the same time. Turning the car off and on had no effect.

I am having the same issue/error when I plug in my Jeda Hub. Like everyone else, it started when I installed 2020.48.10, which was on 12/7/20. I did all the normal troubleshooting, different SSD/Flash drives, etc. Same issue. When I remove the Jeda Hub and plug my SSD directly into the Tesla, everything works fine. I reached out to Jeda on the same day, 12/7. Received an automated/form response on 12/11, asking me to restate my problem again. I promptly responded that day but have yet to receive a response. I sent several follow up emails and still nothing. Their customer service and support has been poor thus far. Anyway, in order to isolate the issue even further, I purchased a Taptes Hub from Amazon. It works perfectly fine. I have been using it since 12/10. Yesterday, 12/26, I updated to the Holiday release, 2020.48.26. Everything still worked correctly with the Taptes Hub. Today I decided to reinstall my Jeda Hub and the problem reappeared. I am not sure if the problem is with the Tesla software or the design of the Jeda Hub. At a minimum, I would like them to respond. We have enough cases where we can provide them valuable data. I am going to quit recommending their hub unless something drastically changes with their support.