Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Device Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem since the update - I don't use a hub, I only have this 512gb usb flash drive and I had previously formatted it using the car interface. Now I just keep getting this error message when I plug it in... it sounds to me like the Tesla update managed to kill our usb drives so that they're trash now... but they would never fess up to that. Lol. Guess I'll buy a new usb stick and try try again...

Same problem since the update - I don't use a hub, I only have this 512gb usb flash drive and I had previously formatted it using the car interface. Now I just keep getting this error message when I plug it in... it sounds to me like the Tesla update managed to kill our usb drives so that they're trash now... but they would never fess up to that. Lol. Guess I'll buy a new usb stick and try try again...
My SSD and other USB drives work fine when directly connected to the car, including the original. Its only when I introduce the Jeda Hub I receive the error. In my case, it doesn't seem like Tesla damaged the SSD/USB drive..

Reactions: MarkWil
Discussion about this on TOO in a thread about 2020.48. Do you have a Jeda Hub installed?

From what I've determined through trial and error then had confirmed by another owner who'd been dealing with it a bit longer, there's some conflict with 2020.48 and the Jeda Hub's onboard electronics which permit all 5 ports (pre 2020, anyway) to do both power and data. While removing my SSD (or even my phone cable) would fix it momentarily, as soon as I plugged anything back in, the error would appear until I removed the Hub and plugged those things directly into the Tesla ports.

I've gone two days without the error and have an e-mail in to Jeda support (sent Friday afternoon so...). The other owner said that Jeda requested reproduction of the error and they haven't responded since that was provided (only a few days). In the meantime, that owner purchased a Taptes hub which doesn't have the same internal electronics allowing data to all ports (and, possibly some protections?) and, I'm told it works without errors. That owner also said other people had reported the same issues but not here or at TOO as far as I'm aware (maybe Reddit or Facebook - I'm not on either).

If you do have the Jeda Hub, try removing it and letting Jeda know. I'm hoping that they'll want to lobby Tesla for an update which doesn't break their product considering their onboard electronics probably provide some protections to Tesla as well as Jeda and the end user.
Hi Skygraff,
THX!! I have an M3 with 2020.48.26 here in Germany and have been having "USB device malfunction" issues - started about 2 weeks ago. I have a Jeda hub installed. Just plugged in the USB drive (Samsung SSD T5) directly - lo and behold - it works! No error message. Hope Tesla fixes this quick.
Thanks for the post and best regards from Germany,
Mark

• Informative
Reactions: skygraff
I'm not having the error without the hub but Jeda offered some (standard) advice for getting the error with a drive connected:

1. Test another drive in the USB Hub
2. Test other USB ports - how does it work in USB A port 1, or 2?
3. REFORMAT your drive! After an update this is a good option.
4. Perform a soft reboot.
5. Go into settings > safety and security > format drive. Unplug the drive, and plug it back in. Try this 2-3x.

The issue with their V1 Hub seemed resolved on 12.1 but reappeared right after I updated to 30 however, after removing and reinstalling the hub (with soft reboot in between), I haven't seen the error yet. Will be taking a longer drive on Tuesday so will have more information after that.

Jeda says that they haven't been able to duplicate this on any of their V2 Hubs or on any post-June 2020 vehicles. If you're experiencing this in a newer (than that) vehicle and/or use one of the V2 Jeda Hubs, let them (and us) know.

I was experiencing a similar issue with the "malfunctioning USB device" error message about my USB drive (I use the Samsun T5 500gb SSD) following the latest upgrade to version 2020.48.30. I contacted Jeda since I use their hub to see if they were aware of any issues. They responded soon thereafter with the following:

"Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding this issue.

We have recently received a few reports of this issue occurring with our V1 USB Hubs for some individuals and the new Tesla firmware. We have been unable to duplicate the issue on our V2 Hubs, and we no longer stock any V1 USB Hubs to test.

What we do know after creating electronics built around the internal hubs in Tesla vehicles, and working with them for over two years is that there have been random issues and bugs which have popped up over time, and these can be resolved likely with simple fixes.

What we suggest is the following:

5. Go into settings > safety and security > format drive. Unplug the drive, and plug it back in. Try this 2-3x.

We have heard some reports that the latest Tesla software release, 2020.48.12.1, corrects the problem you are now experiencing. We have not verified this information. You can ask Tesla to push this update for you, and see if that solves the issue at hand. This is mostly relegated to pre-2020 Model 3's, for some reason.

These are our top suggestions for the issue we are now seeing. Oftentimes reformatting can fix it, as can using a drive which is higher in write/read speed.

As this seems to be fairly new and only relegated to our V1 hubs, we don't have more information to share at this time but our team is monitoring it to see what happens. We were unable and unsuccessful at recreating the issue ourselves.

Sometimes Tesla likes to do funny things. One time , they decided not to have the car recognize power and data cables, so we had to change our cables for our pads. Overtime, these bugs and issues tend to self-correct, but most of us play a guessing game of figuring out the issue and how to fix it in the meantime.

With that said, we also can offer a total of $20 off the USB Hub if you would like to upgrade to our newest version.

Let us know if any of the above work and how we can further help you.

Thank you,"

Hope this helps. I did use the car's reformat utility and will be reinstalling the Jeda hub today to see if this resolves the issue.

I was experiencing a similar issue with the "malfunctioning USB device" error message about my USB drive (I use the Samsun T5 500gb SSD) following the latest upgrade to version 2020.48.30. I contacted Jeda since I use their hub to see if they were aware of any issues. They responded soon thereafter with the following:

"Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding this issue.

We have recently received a few reports of this issue occurring with our V1 USB Hubs for some individuals and the new Tesla firmware. We have been unable to duplicate the issue on our V2 Hubs, and we no longer stock any V1 USB Hubs to test.

What we do know after creating electronics built around the internal hubs in Tesla vehicles, and working with them for over two years is that there have been random issues and bugs which have popped up over time, and these can be resolved likely with simple fixes.

What we suggest is the following:

We have heard some reports that the latest Tesla software release, 2020.48.12.1, corrects the problem you are now experiencing. We have not verified this information. You can ask Tesla to push this update for you, and see if that solves the issue at hand. This is mostly relegated to pre-2020 Model 3's, for some reason.

These are our top suggestions for the issue we are now seeing. Oftentimes reformatting can fix it, as can using a drive which is higher in write/read speed.

As this seems to be fairly new and only relegated to our V1 hubs, we don't have more information to share at this time but our team is monitoring it to see what happens. We were unable and unsuccessful at recreating the issue ourselves.

Sometimes Tesla likes to do funny things. One time , they decided not to have the car recognize power and data cables, so we had to change our cables for our pads. Overtime, these bugs and issues tend to self-correct, but most of us play a guessing game of figuring out the issue and how to fix it in the meantime.

With that said, we also can offer a total of $20 off the USB Hub if you would like to upgrade to our newest version.

Let us know if any of the above work and how we can further help you.

Thank you,"

Hope this helps. I did use the car's reformat utility and will be reinstalling the Jeda hub today to see if this resolves the issue.

Basically, the same e-mail. When was your car built?

If you never had actual trouble with the drive (it would record/play back), I would say don’t bother reformatting it unless you really want to because, once the firmware updates to a point of resolving the issue, all I had to do was remove and reseat the hub. While waiting for that, the drive worked just fine without the hub.

Now, for those experiencing the error without the hub, maybe reformatting is the right move but maybe changing ports or even replacing the cable would do the trick. I partitioned my t500 and have a bunch of music on it so I’m not all that keen on reformatting for no reason.

Basically, the same e-mail. When was your car built?

If you never had actual trouble with the drive (it would record/play back), I would say don’t bother reformatting it unless you really want to because, once the firmware updates to a point of resolving the issue, all I had to do was remove and reseat the hub. While waiting for that, the drive worked just fine without the hub.

Now, for those experiencing the error without the hub, maybe reformatting is the right move but maybe changing ports or even replacing the cable would do the trick. I partitioned my t500 and have a bunch of music on it so I’m not all that keen on reformatting for no reason.

My car was delivered in early August of 2018, so a fairly early build (probably in July 2018). I had the car reformat my drive and it appears to be a non-issue while plugged directly into one of the car's USB port. I plan to try installing the Jeda hub later today.

• Informative
Reactions: skygraff
Well, did an extended day of driving on .30 and had no problems. Aside from the fact that I had to remove and reseat the hub (with a soft reboot in between) after getting the error upon updating, everything is back to normal. Hopefully, it won't require that dance every time but I notified Jeda and they said that, based on reports they've received, this appears to be an "issue which does self-correct." Assume they mean that Tesla broke an fixed the code so here's hoping they keep it fixed rather than reintroduce the bug in future updates.

I'm continuing to have problems, and it's gotten to the point where my USB ports are powered less often than they are off. No hubs, no phones connected, nothing. Just a thumb drive and a Tesla USB charging cable. This is annoying.

I've had intermittent issues with the usb drive and wireless charging mat not working, along with a message on the screen saying USB device malfunction. An unplug accessories / reset / reconnect accessories did work until yesterday, but now the ports wont work at all. I've tried various usb's and phone charging cables plugged directly in, along with numerous system resets, but nothing. This all seems to have started since a recent update.

I've done a big report and have also booked a mobile service appointment to see if they can resolve this, but don't hold out a lot of hope.

Will let you know if I get a solution, but it seems to be a software bug.

I've been having the same problem!

However, I noted that the error would come on when the vehicle started after being off for a short while.

I've just received the update 2020.48.30 and, while checking it out, the USB error didn't appear so I'm hoping the update has fixed it

Can anyone confirm this update fixes the issue?

Tried a two-finger suicide, while driving, in an effort to calm roadside line squiggling and, right after, got the error even though everything was working. When I got to destination and unplugged my phone, the error cleared.

Could be my old phone, could be the Tesla provided lightning cable, could be the Jeda hub, could be the firmware is not handling the differences between Y, 3, and pre-June 2020 3 USB port management. Right now, after learning how different the Y & 3 (current) USB ports work, I’m leaning toward the latter since Tesla’s trying to make software which remains compatible with various hardware iterations. As long as attached devices still work or its possible to make them work, I’ll give Tesla a little leeway on such a difficult prospect since I want them to keep improving their hardware while including us old hats in the software enhancements.

However, I noted that the error would come on when the vehicle started after being off for a short while.

I've just received the update 2020.48.30 and, while checking it out, the USB error didn't appear so I'm hoping the update has fixed it

I could live with the error if it wasn't persistent and covered most of the diving display!

I can answer my own question.... still getting the error!

Yeah, just updated to 35.5 and error was present but disconnected everything before doing my standard reset protocol following an update and, after reconnecting, everything is normal.

Seems like they’ve limited it to a transient bug associated with update unpacking. Maybe they’ll fix that next.

Hey gang, what was the update 35.5 about? Went to the software tab on the car, and it only has the list for update 40. Do I have to perform a screen reset after every update, by pressing both steering wheel buttons? I wasn't aware of that. I had to do it for the first and only time on the way back home, when the screen froze after removing the supercharger cable (once it finished charging), while doing a relatively loud electronic noise from the screen's speaker. Took a long time to reboot, which started to scare us a little bit, but it finally booted up, and everything was back to normal... and didn't happen again.